War for Cybertron: Siege Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Jul 17, 2018.

1. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

APE! FACE!
    20210917_162219.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  2. Racer_J

Racer_J Well-Known Member

In my head, Apeface talks like Monkian and growls like Beastman.

• Like Like x 3
  3. volatus

Omega Supreme, Helicopter Corps, and Engineering Corps
    The giant finds peace in repose with his aircraft friends...
    Omega_Engineers.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  4. volatus

EightySixCrew.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  5. svek

svek Well-Known Member

IMG_20210918_170334.jpg IMG_20210918_173747.jpg

Battle masters were cool and I want them back :p 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  6. volatus

I'd like to see them revisit the idea but actually invest in the articulation and paint application befitting their price point so they don't shelf warm! Most of mine came from clearances at 99c store for $3.50 lol.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Feelings

News Credits:
    C3181002-E410-42E8-AF9E-9960C573E2F8.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Figure Enthusiast

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  9. solid_strider

solid_strider Plastic Crack Junkion

Come onnnnn, all other 84 guys missing from this picture, especially Wheeljack and Jazz!

8070CC4D-319B-4416-8F5E-03E6C70E31E0.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  10. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

I recently purchased ER Optimus. I know. Sucker. "Don't you have enough Optimi?" Ha hah. Never.

Since this is kind of a review, please tell me if I should post here, another forum, etc. I'd cross post it, but I don't know if that is allowed As a note, this is also me really trying out some techniques I am using as far as mixed-media photography. I'm playing around fully with camera and software, and am serious about learning how to do proper comic lettering. As always, I post thumbnails out of courtesy because I believe it is easier to view large images.

First off, Earthrise Optimus Prime is a fantastic figure. As a G1'er, I am blown away. As others have noted, this is the best G1 Optimus in CHUG ever released. I will compare to the "Masterpiece" tentatively. Because I know that the Masterpiece line is a specific line that has a different purpose, sku, and target audience than a mainline toy. My collection is a curated one as a toy collection. I enjoy that they are works of pop art that are purposefully built as toys. Although I am in the process of modding them more as models.

But, in a purely theoretical way, if they could engineer toys like this years ago, would the Masterpiece line even exist? I don't think so. Simply because if they could make something like this in the CHUG scale before, it would definitely scratch that itch for a lot of adult collectors. Note, I'm not saying this is a better masterpiece figure than a Masterpiece figure. It is a master work of a mainline toy.
    2021-08-22_IMG_1229_PrimeBackside01@0.5x.jpg 2021-08-22_OptimusBackside02@0.5x.jpg

I'm comparing this to my Maketoys (KO) Striker Manus, Studio Series 38, and Oh-riginal, G1, bought-at-retail-at-the-time, Optimus. Or, well, the Optimus-homunculus of G1 Ultra Magnus. My brother had Prime, and I don't know where that one is.

2021-08-22_PrimeTogetherstrong.jpg 2021-08-22_IMG_1200_GunsGunsGuns.jpg

Striker Manus kind of wins for posability. On paper. He still looks dynamic at every angle. It's an awesome figure. But, well, ER Prime is a also dead ringer for the original character in dynamic poses, and it's hard to translate in photos how awesome that looks. Scale-wise, Manus towers over Prime. Kind of a larger-than-leader CHUG style. Between the three, I like how Manus scales with the CHUG line as a bruiser. But ER pulls it off well enough, say, with the CHUG Siege and related lines as far as cars go. He does technically scale well with, say, Thrilling 30 Springer, (as a large helicopter, anyway).

2021-08-22_PrimevsPrime01_evenlift.jpg 2021-08-22_Optimus_and_Springer02.jpg 2021-08-22_IMG_1222_Flexing.jpg

A cab freightliner from front to back can be about 30 feet, (shorter for cab-over, obviously), and an Apache helicopter is about 55 feet. Technically scales. Springer in car mode, LOL, scales with nothing, let's not go there.
    2021-08-22_Scale.jpg

I like all these Optimi for different reasons. For one thing, SS-38 is actually very dynamic in the light in person. It's hard to exactly tell from photos with the limitation of my camera, but the design and details look really good. You can tell how much more "cartoony" Siege is. Also, SS-38 looks a bit more tough.

2021-08-22_I_cant_dance.jpg

ER and SS-38 Prime scale together just fine. Very much so.
    2021-08-22_IMG_1191_PrimeVSPrime.jpg 2021-08-22_SmokestackEnvy.jpg

I love the look of SS-38. What would make him perfect, though? If he had less arm greeble and some kind of articulated (or even just slightly open) hands. While they have nearly the same articulation, ER Prime feels better articulated. Just like the greebly detail win for SS-38 is hard to see in pictures, the dynamism of ER Prime is also harder to tell. Lots of panels get in the way of the joints on SS-38, as great as he is. Without that, ER Prime wins my shelf preference. Also, with SS-38, like with most of the Bayverse molds, he's incredibly fiddly in order to make as realistic an alt mode as possible. Which he pulls off with a lot of panel forming and very, very close tolerances. Not a "toy" really for under the age of 10 or so. You could snap pieces in an instant. Buy your kid a Core Class Prime. These fiddly ones really are more for kids and up who don't bash them together.

2021-08-22_BothCanAgree.jpg 2021-08-22_TwoHanded.jpg

The posability of ER Prime is still so good, it just doesn't pale in any real way. No hollow bits at all. Minimal panel-forming. There are a couple of downsides. Which I will get to. But the opening hands are a small thing. But they add so much. As I am playing around here with diorama posing, I realize how much expression posable hands add to what are essentially stop-motion marionettes. I believe I will be doing some modding in the future.
    2021-08-22_OpenHands02.jpg 2021-08-22_PrimesFlexing.jpg

Big downsides? The trailer is meh as far as I'm concerned. I'm keeping packaging near as original for possible box display. But of course the trailer, as is, could use a lot of painting and detailing. Don't get me wrong, that could easily be part of the fun of owning this figure, too. Enough said about the short smoke stacks, which are annoying. There also is a paint error on his crotch. You may be able to see in these pictures that the yellow is not complete on the upper-right panel on the front of his y-fronts. That is… what it is for now. I'm not opposed to taking him as apart as possible and doing some brush ups. As I do this, though, I do not feel good enough to trust myself. I'm airbrushing Dollar Tree toys at night to play around with techniques.

Other down-sides? The faux-chest thing is always a bit of a cheat to go from vehicle to cartoon mold. But it's OK. I personally am not a huge fan of panel-forming that leaves greebles, and I seem to be in an extreme minority that I am radically pro parts-forming for Transformers. But really none of the latter two on ER Prime at all.

ER Prime is a great Prime. I picked him up as I felt like he's a worthwhile thing to get while he's available. Don't know if he'll continue to be re-issued in the future, but I could certainly see it.

2021-08-22_EveryoneWave.jpg

I realize now I put a lot of detail into this review. Should I do YouTube reviews? I feel like that market has been tapped. Also, I'm so much a 2-D static artist, I'm at a loss in a world with brilliant stop-motion lunatics who have the patience to spend days on this kind of thing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  11. volatus

EXCUUUUSE ME. ACKSHUALLY. Since the correct plural of "octopus" is "octopodes" (following Greek pronunciations, this would be pronounced "ock-top-oh-deez"), the correct plural of "Optimus" should be "Optimodes" ("op-tim-oh-deez"). You're welcome!

Also, I cannot view any of the attachments on your post.

edit: after an hour or so the pics started loading, I assume you fixed it! TY~

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Racer_J

Team Octopi checking in . . .

Optimodes sounds like it should be some sort of subline which could include glorious gimmicks like Optinodes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. volatus

They should sell some building sets so you can make him some Optiroads...

• Like Like x 1
  14. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    It’s too expensive. Do you know how many Opticodes they have to pass?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Racer_J

Dammit, I knew I was missing some glorious obvious puns but, my brain was "lol nah we're done here" after Optinodes. Well played to the both of you.

16. volatus

Always ready to turn an Optiphrase, I've got Optipuns for Optidays.

• Like Like x 3
  17. ghostyurei

ghostyurei Our race was a peaceful one once...

News Credits:
    Take.. some wooden nickels!
    1DA6EEDA-6358-4352-8091-26094DD1DBA4.jpeg
    Look… for Mr. Goodbar…
    73C79698-BDF9-43CA-AE45-3F03860CABC4.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 17
  18. MightyMegs

MightyMegs Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • Like Like x 12
  19. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    These things are hideous. I've been waiting a long ass time to get my hands on hideous too. But they are still delightful in a fluorescent marker pen tribute kinda way. Painted the eyes to further amplify the colour uniformity.

1632144226711.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  20. openchallenge

openchallenge Shelves interlinked.

Licensed and Branded, these are fair play here right? More when the swivels and joint extensions acknowledge my existence. Gotta figure out the batteries too.

THREEZEROUNBOXED2101.JPG

• Like Like x 11