War for Cybertron: Siege Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by barry, Jul 17, 2018.

1. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

• Like Like x 11
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a damn apron, CHEF JETFIRE!!!!

• Like Like x 6
  3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart MANDORU MANDORU

News Credits:
    First Yachtfire, now Cheffire.

• Like Like x 5
  4. eipunx

eipunx Well-Known Member

More like Guyfire, blasting off to flavor town

• Like Like x 13
  5. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Off the hook

• Like Like x 6
  6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Grapple35

Grapple35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is the Matrix Workshop kit for Starscream and where did you get the cape?

8. ziltama

ziltama Lurks, mods, molds, and casts

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. N_M_S

N_M_S Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm debating buying several Thundercrackers to paint all the blues purple to have some Air Warriors, but given the Rainmakers, does anyone think we might actually get some official Air Warriors? Not a fan of the smirk, honestly...

10. ziltama

ziltama Lurks, mods, molds, and casts

News Credits:
    Cannons
    cannons.jpg

Blast effects, Brunt nozzle, and extra cannon tip on Megatron are custom stuff I made. Tim Heada arm gap fillers are on Megatron (worst quality 3d printed stuff I have ever bought but did my best to make it look and work decent).

• Like Like x 14
  11. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got siege megs, this was the first thing I did after I opened him.
    109 sin título-1.jpg
    112 sin título-1.jpg

• Like Like x 34
  12. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

"Shulk, save me!"

Would it be possible to see a picture of Aragon with Sixgun? I'm curious how the reds compare. Thanks :) 

13. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Finally joined the Jetfire and Redwing club. Calabask. Thanks again. I was surprised at the difference in quality between this commander class and the generations leader class. I only got it maybe a year ago, and didn't think it was that bad. Now it feels like a knockoff. Redwing is as I expected. I think he's my favorite version after Thundercracker. One shoulder peg hole is loose, but I think the null rays look better on the elbow ones anyway.

• Like Like x 14
  14. Fallout

Fallout call me alabama i'm a seminole prize

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    IT'S FUCKING RAAAAAAW

• Like Like x 7
  15. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat That's what you say when someone kicks the...

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yes he comes with shoulder cannons but no blaster. The shoulder cannon config you're using with bluestreak is the blaster for barricade

16. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah. Bummer. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    Skywarp was always the seeker I thought was the coolest. The sarcastic bully boy with the evil as fuck colour scheme. Obviously Starscream was the Seeker that had all the character and interest, and Thundercracker has had oodles of characterisation in the IDW comics but not much in the old comics, but Skywarp is still the 'cool' one.

Weirdly, my main memory of Skywarp is from Target:2006, where Hot Rod, Kup, and Blurr paint Skywarp up as Starscream for Galvatron to blow him to pieces. Even back then I remembered thinking "what a waste of a cool Decepticon".

It's perhaps not surprising that that's nearly the extent of my memories, because the poor lad didn't get that much more page time. Sure, he was usually seen in the background of any 'Con crowd sequence, and could be seen cracking his knuckles in 'Dinobot Hunt!' or giving Bumblebee the beat down in 'Crisis of Command', but besides that he really didn't make much of an impression.

And now, over thirty years later, I find myself echoing the thoughts of my seven year old self; what a waste of a good 'Con! I mean, I'm not dumb., I get it. Limited page count. New toys to pimp. Even Starscream suffered for that. But still, when you look back it really amazes me how much the Seekers were sidelined in the comics. They are, quite frankly, the most iconic of all the Decepticon soldiers.

And here's one of the problems about writing about the Seekers. I've already done Starscream, and have thus have said most of what I have to say about the toy(s). Expect a lot of talking about deco.

So, Starscream was the one I had a as a kid. A friend had Dirge and another friend had Thundercracker, but I don't think I saw that until 1987. So, there was always a little something mysterious and desirable about Skywarp. Perhaps it's the fact that, out of the '84 'Cons, he was the only that sported the classic Decepticon purple. On black. We all know black is cool. If he was a human, Skywarp would wear a leather jacket and sunglasses all the time. Even to bed.

My childhood self was no fool. As I look at Skywarp next to Starscream and Thundercracker I'm in no doubt that this is coolest looking for the three toys. He looks exactly how I would expect one of the principle thugs of the Decepticon army to look like. It's a spectacularly moody, sinister, and imposing colour scheme. And so well judged. In robot mode there's just the right amount of purple to break that black up.

And the jet looks stunning. Ok, maybe some bits look a bit goofy, like the purple thrusters and the stickers atop the intakes, but man...that shit is trivial. the black makes this thing look so sleek and deadly. I don't doubt there's a raft of folk out there that disagree, but this deco really outs Starscream and Thundercracker to shame. Odd that this is the colour scheme that didn't originate with Takara.

So how about the Siege version?

Well, as of writing this I've not got my hands on Thundercracker but I still feel pretty conifdent in saying that Skywarp is the best looking of the Siege Seekers. Which is good, because you pay a pretty penny for him.

It was inevitable, really. Like Ratchet and the forthcoming Bluestreak, Skywarp was pretty much always destined to be an exclusive. The rules seem pretty clear now; a mould gets two uses at retail, most likely with a new head, and then anything else comes out as an exclusive. But boy, this one was maybe not bang for buck. Ok, sure. He comes with three Battlemasters, but that doesn't exactly make the pill easier to swllow. Sure, you could argue that this is just like Shockwave, and we're getting a Voyager class figure with extras, but I'm not sure. This is a redeco of a Voyager class figure and it felt like a lot more went into Shockwave, elevating the core figure above a Voyager price point. At least that's how it felt to me. I have no insight into the R&D.

But hey, I spent the money and have no regrets. Siege Skywarp is everything you want him to be. Well, nearly. I wash that plastic was as black and shiny, and just plain lethal looking as the G1 toy. Ok, so maybe there's greta reasons for it. Maybe we don't get that black and shiny on a Voyager budget (except this deco isn't a Voyager budget), maybe the grey just helped other detail pop, who knows? It doesn't detract too much, I don't think. He still looks like the meanest of the trio, but it niggles.

Small confession/realistion; I haven't actually changed Starscream to Tetrajet mode since I did the write up and I'd half forgotten how to do the transformation, so it was pleasantly surprising rediscovering it. the tabbing on the legs/arms/wings is still very smooth, though that chest piece? Yeesh!

So, I'm trying not to harp on about the grey too much, but I think I have to confess the tetrajet does suffer for it. Perhaps it adds to the beaten look of the Siege aesthetic, but it really does niggle me ever so.

So it feels like this has been mostly a list of reservations, peppered with me saying I love it, only to go back and go "...but...", BUT it's true. I do think this is great. I do think this mold looks even better on this deco than Starscream's (and no doubt Thundercracker's, when I get him), and I'm so delighted that we're getting all three Seekers at Voyager scale. Back in the day, I had a different mold for each Seeker (T:30 Armada design for Starscream, T:30 WfC for Skywarp, and Classics for Thundercracker) and that was pretty cool. But I am 100% ready to have all my bully boys in unified design.

Now howabout those Coneheads?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 25
  18. LoneDragon

LoneDragon I dare to be stupid!

I always got Skywarp and Thundercracker confused as a kid. I thought surely the one with the cooler name was the darker, more dangerous looking one.

19. Mccormicks

Mccormicks Autobot Ordnance

Just a curious poll of sorts: Do you all pair/are going to pair your Battlemasters with their classic partners? And who are you pairing the new ones with?

• Like Like x 4
  20. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube: