War For Cybertron Part 3: Kingdom (Beast Wars)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Verno, Jul 3, 2020.

1. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

That's what she said.

• Like Like x 2
  2. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

Anyways, I am absolutely hyped for Kingdom Waspinator!

I hope they make Buzz Saw, Bug Bite, Skywasp, and Buzzbomb (Fox kids repaint). Army building “Wasps” will make up for not being able to army build Vehicon drones!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    In the same vein I'd love it if we ever got a Hardhead or Thrustor from the Dinobot mold.

• Like Like x 2
  4. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

Can’t forget Terrorsaur’s repaints: Lazorbeak (and Hydra), Fractyl, Terranotron/Swoop, and Strafe/Garboyl

Or Double Punch and Sandstorm from Scorponok!

• Like Like x 3
  5. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Master of the Kerfuffle

"Welcome to the jungle"
    "We got fun and games"
    1021211323.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  6. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
  7. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

What a great opening. Just starting this series!
    3324F37C-6DA2-4FC6-BB62-670744CFF56D.jpeg 27F40F64-6480-41A8-B1EB-9E00177AD4C4.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. ArkinDotWav

ArkinDotWav Self Proclaimed Star Saber Backer #555

Does anybody happen to have any good recommendations for a flight stand for Waspinator? I just got mine, and want to display him in the air alongside the other preds.

I have a set of Tamashi nations act 5 stands, but the flight stand hole is in a spot where the stand arm can't fit.

9. james archer

james archer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Is there a thread like this for the legacy figures where leaked images may be posted?

10. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Known Member

11. RoguePrimal

RoguePrimal Autobots Wreckers Deputy Commander

I have a idea based on the episode where Dinobot is riding on Rattrap's back on the way home and remember that Rattrap in BotCon set the Dawn of Future Times his Cybertronian form is a gray recolor of Cybertron Ransack (motorcycle)

Can anyone try if Kingdom Core Rattrap is small enough to sit on Ransack or any his recolors as if trying to ride it?

12. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
  13. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Waspinator arrived last night and yeah.....I really hate those insect legs.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DracoPrimal

DracoPrimal Maxicon

I've also disliked that element since the first photos... Most wasps have significantly longer legs for back pair, and while I also hated the handling of the front 4 on it, TM Waspy's back-legs to robot legs was simple, but good.

15. RoguePrimal

RoguePrimal Autobots Wreckers Deputy Commander

If you want to speak about bad ones then BW Scavenger is actually the worst case of insect legs. He has got 3 of on each arm. It looks like a big mess with his stupid drills for fists.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Happy Halloween!
    ghost 1.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  17. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Intro:

Following on from my deep dive into the issues with Kingdom Beast Wars weapons, this is a more general look at the sometimes genuinely bizarre design choices for these figures. There is such a weird mix of good and bad that some ultimately end up marring what could have been really great toys in terms of design and play and everything you'd want from this pastime. I can't help coming away from it all with a sense of rush or complacency from the Designers to get these things out the door, when a final pass over the design table could have so easily rectified many of them. That's not to say all these issues are outright bad, but just straight-up strange in places.

Head-scratchers:

I'll kick things off with a figure I quite like, but right from the beginning, had a big issue with.

Optimus Primal has a large gap in the top of his chest in robot-mode. Sculpt, transformation, weapons -- all fun, and all leading to a great end result. But at the final hurdle, they stumbled, leaving a gap that exposes the inner mechanics of the figure, and not in a faux inner workings/sculpted detail way like those seen on the inside of the robot legs of Kingdom Dinobot or Rhinox. So egregious is the issue that at least one 3rd Party has a set out to rectify it.

I've said it before, but if this issue was present on an Optimus Prime or Megatron figure, there would be blood in the forums. We saw what happened when Earthrise Optimus Prime initially had grey fists...

Like I said, I still like the figure, but just that smallest of tweaks, those couple of grams of plastic, and it would have been a truly great offering.

Next up is Megatron, and this falls into that category of not necessarily a bad decision per se, but just a bit of a strange one: his rubbery plastic.

A really great figure, wonderfully sculpted, but I still can't figure out why the rubbery plastic exists. Is it so his backpack isn't as heavy? Or is it a tactile thing? Something for the dinosaurs? If so, why doesn't Dinobot have it? It certainly makes him unique in the line, but a giant purple T-Rex was always going to stand out anyway, and as those of us with him in-hand know, sometimes that rubbery plastic gets in the way, especially when trying to fold out those panels on the tail -- sometimes they just don't want to tuck through.

Cheetor is next, and frankly, nothing about this figure makes sense. It's all just one big bad decision.

Scorponok is a curious one. I kind of like him, as short and squat as he is. But it's the claws that raise my eyebrow. The Kingdom Beast Wars figures had two (often) competing elements in their design -- real-world accuracy in beast-mode, show-accuracy in robot-mode -- but Scorponok's claws are weird because they're neither.

Oh, Rattrap. Much like Cheetor, the less I say about you the better, so I'll simply remark that just because the sales of the Battle Masters and Micromasters in Siege and Earthrise were poor and so the decision was made to return the Legend class size doesn't mean that you have to shoehorn characters into it, especially in light of the development of small Deluxe figures like Earthrise Cliffjumper.

Blackarachnia is another great figure, a standout of the line, though I'd have killed for some orange spider legs on it, but that's not the issue I have. It's actually her robot-mode legs that are the problem. They're too long, as as such, she's too tall. Relative scale in robot-mode was a feature of the War For Cybertron Trilogy, and the Beast Wars figures in Kingdom do a good job of this for the most part (with some obvious exceptions). In fact, while I'm writing this, it occurs to me that it's perhaps the Maximals that do a good job of it for the most part, but the Predacons are all over the shop. Hopefully Legacy Inferno and Tarantulas can help right the ship a bit.

Rhinox. *sigh* Which issue to pick... Let's go with this one.

According to the official instructions, in robot-mode, the actual (not faux) lower jaw of the rhinoceros is pushed inwards slightly, into the rhinoceros head. According to the official image on the back of the box, the jaw isn't pushed in at all. According to the boxart, the jaw disappears and leaves a haunting, toothless cavity, which can be recreated by folding the jaw down during transformation (a fan mode).

None of these options work.

If you leave the jaw in situ, pushed in or not, it breaks the illusion the faux chest is trying to achieve. By folding it down, you're left with an awful eyesore, akin to the issue with the inner mechanics of Optimus Primal.

I'm yet to get this figure in-hand, but from every image and review I've seen, the insect legs and antenna on Waspinator are nothing short of horrendous. Thick, barely sculpted slabs of brown plastic. Comparing them to the legs and antenna on the T30 version is actually painful, and perfectly epitomises what I mean about bad decisions marring an otherwise good looking figure, which Waspy appears to be. It's such an odd choice.

Tigatron has a kibble butt-flap. The plastic that went into it could have been so better utilised.

Oooh, Dinobot. Decisions, decision. Do I go with the kibble, purple sword, the poorly sculpted faux chest, the skinny arms, weird hands, maybe the lack of movement in beast-mode legs? No, I'll go with him being a Predacon -- a problem entirely of Hasbro's own making.

What happens when you decide to release all the Maximals from the first season of the TV show, but only four of the Predacons? You need to include some more Preds. Perfect. But instead of the obvious option -- a redeco to help bolster the numbers (Buzz Saw, I'm looking at you) -- you just steal a Maximal and consider it a job well done. "But Dinobot is a Voyager class, and the Predacons wouldn't have had one in the line otherwise". To that I say the Maximals don't have a Leader class.

And the consequences from this miss-match of numbers are being felt into the next line, Legacy, with there now being three Predacons appearing, and no Maximals. *shrug*

Outside of the curious weapons, which I've already covered, I don't think I have any issues with Airazor. Gold star. Imagine a line of Generations Beast Wars figures to that standard. Yum.

Terrorsaur. C-C-C-Combo Breaker! He will be the only figure from the Season 1 cast to be a retool. *Insert Director Krennic "We were this close" meme*

Conclusion:

Some little tweaks here and there. Going back to the drawing board in some others. Some of them funny, some of them not. I'm keen to hear people's thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    frosted flakes.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  20. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Known Member

To be honest, as someone who has been collecting Generations for a really long time, the Kingdom beasts are generally pretty great by the standards of the line. I'll bring up a couple examples.

Optimus Primal: Has way less kibble than ER Optimus Prime does. In fact, he has basically no kibble at all. ER Prime, which is a figure I love, has wheels hanging off his ass. Primal might have a small gap above his chest, but I hardly ever notice it. It's honestly a pretty minimal flaw compared to most other Generations figures. I'll take that issue and enjoy the fact that the figure has no kibble whatsoever.

Rattrap: This might actually be the best legends figure in my whole collection. As far as kibble management and having a smooth transformation is concerned, this dude is amazing. I can't stand the T30 deluxe, it has super awkward articulation, egregious kibble, an annoying transformation, and is all around too-big. Kingdom Rattrap delivers a superior alternative at a smaller size. And about that size- I feel core class was really underutilized in Kingdom for the beasts. I don't think Rattrap was too small, I think Blackarachnia is too big. I would have liked her in core class too. It also could have given us characters like Quickstrike and even weirder picks, like Razorbeast and Snarl had it not been for more G1 cores.

Tigatron: He has a butt flap. Dude, I'm here to tell you, that's very normal. That's honestly pretty minimal as far as kibble goes on a main line Voyager. That's not an example of Beast Wars specifically getting shafted. G1 figures end up with kibble too.

Cheetor: Has the most proportionate and IMO best beast mode in the whole line. That's nothing to scoff at. I like his robot mode too, but I understand I'm in the minority on that one.

Dinobot: Is a predacon on packaging only. I couldn't find a faction symbol anywhere on the figure, but maybe I'm just blind.

That's not to say I fully disagree with you though. Your analysis of Rhinox and Waspinator is basically the same as my own. Terrorsaur is a disappointment. I also agree that Airazor is absolutely the queen of the whole line, and she's the deluxe of the year for me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 3