War for Cybertron: KINGDOM Appreciation thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Jul 16, 2020.

1. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

The next best thing when you miss out on a Transmetal upgrade:

PXL_20210721_022455487.jpg PXL_20210721_022537725.jpg PXL_20210721_022706712.jpg

• Like Like x 19
  2. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Advocate for orignality in Transformers.

In celebration of me actually getting my images to work properly, here's fossilized Airazor. Unfortunately, the natural lighting I have to work with doesn't do her already somewhat dull colour scheme any favors.

Air01.JPG Air02.JPG Air03.JPG

Yes, I did manage to get her spindly arm to hold that thing up on it's own. See the first image below for proof. I would've gone with that as the main image, but it looked less dynamic. And for those wondering how I attached the backpack to her, I simply slotted Ractonite's pelvis(?) between the gaps in her wings, as seen in the second image below. Not the most secure connection.

Air04.JPG Air05.JPG

• Like Like x 14
  3. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    DSCN6046.JPG

• Like Like x 17
  4. HAL237

HAL237 Star Saber Backer #3034

241C57E1-5DBD-4D90-BEE4-EEF88AB3DC7A.jpeg

• Like Like x 22
  5. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Galvatron was such a big deal. Like, massive. More than any other character, he represents a massive change of scale in the fiction.

Before Galvatron everything had been pretty straightforward. Heroic Autobots, Evil Decepticons with their revolving door of leaders, and moody Dinobots. All of them on Earth and struggling to somehow make it back to Cybertron, either draining Earth of its resources or stopping the other geezers draining Earth of its resources. We got the occasional trip to Cybertron but that’s all it was, a little mood change for the usual shenanigans. In retrospect, it’s my favourite time; my Transformers honeymoon, if you will.

Then came Transformers the Movie and Target:2006 and nothing was ever the same again, including me. From this point on I was some sort of veteran, as far as Transformers fans go, and a little of the wide eyed wonder had gone away.

Suddenly there was the future, other robotic alien races, a world-devouring all powerful transforming devil, the death of Optimus and Megatron, and a Faustian pact for Megatron. The first deal with the devil I ever knew of. I remember feeling repulsed by the way Unicron stripped Megatron of all his outer layers, just leaving that green line work. But then came Galvatron.

In Target:2006 he seemed to have the power of a god, or at least a god’s herald. He seemed unstoppable and carried himself with that arrogance and contempt of someone walking amongst lesser beings. In short, he was fucking amazing. This was the character Furman built his long form UK epic around. The time lost renegade with ambitions off the scale. The story brewed slowly over about two and a half year and ended with that catastrophic sequence of Galvatron being peeled apart by the time vortex. Time Wars was shaky, even to my ten-year-old brain, but that scene was unforgettable! I can only imagine how much fun Simon Furman had writing that. Dinobot Hunt seemed like a lifetime ago after that.

So there was excitement when people I knew got him for Christmas ’86, and boy was that short lived.

The G1 toy is an odd beast. Sure he was big and imposing, but he looked a little…dumb. He has a head like a chess piece and you, uh, stick the orange cannon into his head? That’s undignified. I know these next words are largely exaggeration for effect but nonetheless…Galvatron looks like a Go-Bot. And not one of the good ones. There’s no denying he has great articulation for a toy of his vintage, but those dinky little forearms coming out of his biceps? awful. His face does not scream power. Instead, it looks like a child having a huff because mum says you can’t have another helping of pudding.

Both alt modes are as goofy as can be. The gun mode was embarrassing, even at eight years old we felt stupid pointing it at each other, and the space cannon was….wait, what’s a space cannon? It looks like a capsized sweetie jar. I expect that if I tip it upside down and shake it I might get some Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts. All that said, I do like the orange sparkle of his gun. I just really wanted the toy to look as awesome as the character and it fell so short in my eyes. I remember when I laid eyes on him again as an adult and had the same weird rush of feelings; excitement (the ultimate Decepticon in my collection!) followed by disappointment (christ, the state of him).
    So if you hadn’t already guessed, Galvatron is a big deal for me. A big deal that has never had the toy he deserves. I feel like, over the years, I’ve been very gentle and generous with the Titans Return take. It was crap, but I always tried to find some positive. I knew Galvatron was coming in Kingdom, but when the reveals came I was overcome with the hype. This was him. He was finally getting justice done to him. What next, a Selects toy deco that looks like it stepped straight out of a panel in ‘Target:2006’?

…Motherfuc…

The first thing that really struck me, and struck me hard, when I got Galvatron out the box was just how powerful he seemed. The guy has gravitas! The silhouette is all upper body strength and imposing presence, which is utterly appropriate. I stood him next to Siege Megatron and he did feel like an ‘in story’ upgrade of the guy. I like it a lot.

In an attempt to engage my critical faculties, I got the Jim Sorenson ‘Ark’ book out to take a look at the character model, to just try and find how they’d ‘screwed it up’. I was very pleased to find that it was about as faithful as a toy of that design could be. What divergences there are seem quite trivial, and are obviously thoughtful compromises.

I should, of course, mention the shoulder misassembly. The shoulders are misassembled. You can fix it if it bothers you. It’s not bothered me.

He’s a joy to pose. There’s such a well thought-through range of motion on him, that at no point when recreating multiple panels from ‘Target:2006’ did I hit a wall or find myself frustrated. Even when I was trying to get him to ride Ultra Magnus (don’t). The absolute worst thing I could say is…sometimes he looks a little too regal. And if that’s your biggest problem…

One of the ways that this guy really trounces the TR version, and there’s many, it’s the ol’ ‘particle beam cannon’. It can be a tricky one ot pull off. Too small or thin and it looks absurd, too big and it winds up dawrfing the figure. A sin the TR version committed abley. So it’s a delight to see them get it quite so right with the Kingdom version. The goldilocks particle beam cannon: Just right. It’s striking how simple the mold is compared to the TR version. It’s far more elegant. And the see through orange end is lovely. It’d be lovelier if it was a little sparkley, but you can’t have everything.

Or even a convincing alt-mode, apparently.

The cannon mode is…well, it doesn’t really look like anything. Beyond a bunch of bits trying to be something. If you were to remove the tracks and the orange cannon en you’d struggle to say what that was, or who. Getting both modes just so is a hell of an ask, and I forgive all for getting the bot mode so right.

The optional are extras are cute, from the matrix-on-a-chain, to the two mini versions of ‘The Revenge’. They both do have a little whiff of ‘we better get this up to Leader class price point’, but I’ll take this over a compromised Voyager.

As much as I’m enjoying this guy, it’s joy once removed. For me, the enduringly crass and narrow-sighted TF:UK fan, this guy is just an aperitif for the Selects version. I’m going to be intolerable when that arrives!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 34
  7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

I modified Paleotrex' bot mode to my liking.
    Paleotrex2021.jpg

• Like Like x 17
  8. CoolBeanz

CoolBeanz That moment when hasbro won't do the targetmasters

I name all of my fossilizer creations 'The Relic'

16268513484301014548158777676483.jpg

• Like Like x 18
  9. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    20210721_063424.jpg 20210721_063856.jpg 20210721_064007.jpg

• Like Like x 23
  10. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know what the current status of the WFCT (White Box) Line is and if it's over now.
    But something crossed my mind earlier when I saw the image of MP Nightbird. It got me thinking about the variations on Blackarchania and Bumblebee in head or mould, and I thought... Is there any reason there shouldn't be a Kingdom Nightbird based on Arcee or Elita-1 ?
    Or even an entirely new "kibble" part to turn that mould into an earth Car mode ?

Perhaps there some potential do something unusual like make a Quickshadow or even a Strong Arm out of it or perhaps Shadowstriker even.

I don't know if there is much to ponder on the more general point though about "alternative versions" I have always kinda like the idea of there being a POTP based Chromia for example where they retrofit her to combine - if only because green light is so hard to get a lot of people even up with a limb short on their female combiner. Conversly a Siege Style Moonracer has some appeal too to me.

11. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    I think you are referring to the Netflix line. And it seems that it is indeed over.

12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you not notice what the line is actually called - This is likely down to the difference between what something is actually called and what the fandom calls it - for example the 2006 Classics Line or the 2010 Hunt For the Decepticons line are in neither case actually called that.

But the line is call "War For Cybertron Trilogy" ( as distinction from the seperate lines of Siege, Earthrise & Kingdom) It's not actually called "Netflix" - just like the Fox Kids Beast Wars line isn't actually called that either.

It's like when people are lazy and called Warrior Class RID toys "Deluxes" - which was fine until they made actual deluxes - then it just sowed confusion. So yeah I could call it the Netflix Line - but that isn't what it's called. and WFCT is shorter anyway.

13. Si28061977

Si28061977 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. Si28061977

Si28061977 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  15. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    I was just referring to how it has been called in these boards. Sorry for not saying that the Transformers Netflix War for Cybertron subline is over.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Cannot rest until we have a bus-former.

Ebay:
    Fools! Galvatron insures he has sun protection at all times!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not exactly. Both of your examples (Netflix and Fox Kids) had those brandings on their packaging, even if it's not technically in the name, so calling them by those brandings is reasonable. Both War For Cybertron Trilogy and Beast Wars are blanket names for lines with associated sublines. Beast Wars had Beast Wars (year 1&2), Transmetals and Fuzors (year 3), Transmetal 2 (year 4), Mutants and Fox Kids sub brandings. Likewise, the War for Cybertron Trilogy branding exists both on the Netflix branded figures and the Generations Selects figures associated with the War for Cybertron sublines (Siege, Earthrise and Kingdom, which while not specifically branded as War for Cybertron Trilogy, these are the Trilogy that is being referred to).

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    DSCN6032.JPG

It was 25 years from today that I asked for the original Dinobot toy for my 8th Birthday and I have the tale to tell.

It was weeks before my Birthday and my mom took me and my sister to a playplace to play in the ball pit, crawl through the tubes and watch the older kids play laser tag. Afterwards, my mom took us to Toysrus and she told me to pick out anything I want for my Birthday. I looked around and found nothing. Until I reached the Beast Wars isle and found The Dinobot figure. I grabbed it, ran to my mom and told her this is what I want for my Birthday. She took it from me and put it back on the shelf and told me to run along. I was then looking at the Sailor Moon stuff with my sister, until I saw my mom purchasing stuff at the cashiers. I was excited because I thought she was buying me Dinobot.

On my Birthday, we had an Animal themed Birthday to hint Beast Wars. Like Animal games, a Lion cake, Animal decorations and much more. While everyone was playing with the Pinata, I just looked at my presents trying to guess which one was Dinobot. After Cake, I got to open my presents. I was so excited. I opened all of them... But none of them were Dinobot. All I got was Hunchback of Notre Dame toys, Clothes, Boardgames, Puzzles, and a 3 little pigs vhs. So while the party still continued, I just sat in my room felt like crying. When the party was over, my mom came in and asked are you upset you didn't get your Dinobot? I just told her about getting old and dying. So my mom cheered me up by cooking my favorite dinner and we watched the 3 little pigs vhs that night.

The next day which was July 22nd, my mom had me do some Homework. Just then, my mom's best friend comes over for a visit and she had 2 late Birthday presents for me. Mom told me that I have to finish my homework before I can open them. So, I quickly finished and I rush to open my presents. One was just a K'Nex set. But the second present was Dinobot!

After getting Dinobot, it really changed my life.

Anyways...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!

• Like Like x 22
  19. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    Magnabones.

• Like Like x 1
  20. loof

loof New avatar wow

:bday 

• Like Like x 2