War For Cybertron: Earthrise Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vector Oracle, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Do we really consider the prowl guys as “core cast members?” They barely even did anything and exist to be autobot seekers prowls crew just keep getting made because they can make multiple versions of them. With that could we get a selects rapido from prowl?

• Like Like x 3
  2. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats why i used quotes, he's (smokescreen) really only a "core cast" member because he is from the first two years and was in the toon, so he is considerably less obscure than most of the other selects releases

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

The tier list I have mentally for the “core cast” autobots is: Optimus, bumblebee, ratchet, jazz(?) ironhide, and wheeljack at the top, sideswipe, sunstreaker and prowl guys below them, mirage, hound below that and trailbreaker and the minibots at the lowest. Jazz kinda seems like a core cast guy but he gets less figure s no this isn’t really my opinion on who is the best, This just feels like what hastak thinks for what is and isn’t a core cast member. Hastak doesn’t care about trailbreaker...that’s why hoist got q figure first >:[ this is autobot discrimination

• Like Like x 1
  4. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

not nice >:[
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The way I calculated the core tier god super top ubermensh lineup it's Brainstorm, Chromedome, Hardhead, Highbrow, Kup, Ultra Magnus, Crosshairs, Pointblank, Sureshot, Punch and Quickswitch on top.
    And then the Prowl clones on the bottom because they had over twenty episodes to make an impression and the only time they did was when they died.
    That's something that puts you in the negative when it comes to core god points.
    You wasted two series doing jack shit that could have featured the Powerdashers, you bums! You ain't tier anything.

And I want Rapido in WFC3.

6. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if has/tak cares more about hoist than trailbreaker then why did trailbreaker get a combiner figure and hoist didnt?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Trademark purposes. To show that all he is is just some loser autobot who only deserves to be used for the lowest of low: the cw repaint >:[
    I dunno trailbreaker just seems to lag behind everyone else in 84, so do the minibots and dinobots apart from grimlock

8. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    trailbreaker has gotten 2 figures in chug, 1 designed after his idw design and one not tied to hoist. you say he lags behind everyone else in 84, but chug has been running for 13 years and cliffjumper is just now getting a mold meant to be g1 cliffjumper

• Like Like x 2
  9. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Well there’s the GDo one but yea, that’s why he’s down there with the minibots next to trailbreaker.

Anyway you think it would ever be possible that hastak would make a figure compatible with gimmicks from years ago, like creating a new liozack that could actually combine and look like liozack. Are we past the window of that ever happening? We got a new ape face and a flywheels completing a duocon double act and inching us closer to finishing all the headmaster so why not redo the one torso bot that was shit? Then again this is a pipe dream

10. tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gdo one is still a remold of a different version, thats why i specified a mold meant for g1 cliffjumper :p  and as you pointed out, hastak will make figures compatible with gimmicks from years ago. potp was compatible with combiner wars, flywheels is compatible with battletrap, apeface, jetfire and scorponok all have various methods of titanmaster compatibility

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    So you want me to give references? Okay, I hope this remains in good faith and does not result in you escalating into a game of you using reflexive control or you just criticizing the reference by finding minor typos or irrelevant discrepancies.

First set of references portion of fan impact being important but kids being largest demographic.

1. NY Times Article
    Classic Toys Redesigned to Traverse Generations

2. SDCC Warden SDCC 2018 interview (there are a dozen I am not going to waste the time to re-listen and find it. All I know is it is an interview about why Sideswipe looks like a future earth car and not a box. He states that kids buy the majority of generations toys.

Second set of references multi generation approach to the Hasbro brands

1. Forbes article 35 Years On, 'Transformers' Employs Diverse Toy Strategy

2. Hasbro Brand strategy after Bumblebee movie success. Again like the SDCC interviews I know this was from a Hasbro investors meeting regarding generation brand approach and hooking little kids with Rescue bots and eventually graduating them to Generations. I am not going to look for it because it would involve going through multiple corporate reports.

So here are my sources. Now where are yours? I see some very well written editorials (opinions), but no sources.

So with respect my friend you are treating kids like they are static.

A kid is only targetable for a franchise for like 3 years per age category (Rescue bots K through 3rd grade; RID/Cyberbsrse type Show 4th to 6th grade; and movies/comics middle school to adulthood). I am not sure if this is the exact breakdown (again you got to dig through Hasbro corporate reports), but this is why you see the same main guys out with a sprinkle of cool rare characters. If it is any consolation I feel and understand your frustration. I hope this helps:) 

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    ME, GRIMLOCK FOUND ERROR IN IRUINI'S LIST.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

I ment 84 not 85 but grim would probably be in that tier with the tier with the prowl clones, he isn't a tier but still kinda is he's in B.5 tier

14. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Hasbro generally releases the pre-tool first.

I think Trailbreaker will be retooled to have less arm kibble as that was an animation model difference. So they released the “weaker” (but still pretty accurate) version of the mold first.

If Trailbreaker has Hoist’s arm kibble, we’ll know they care about him less. ;) 

But I did a count awhile back and I THINK Trailbreaker has more appearances in G1 than anyone aside from Optimus, Bumblebee, and Ratchet.

IMHO, Ratchet is less interesting than Wheeljack, who’s an A-lister, but I also sense Wheeljack’s role got downplayed and written out in S3 along with Starscream’s death because Chris Latta kept getting in trouble with the law and missing recording sessions. Sparkplug Witwicky likewise was meant to be in S3 but got written out due to lack of an animation model, need to cram more toys in, and Latta’s issues. I think a Ratchet and Perceptor got beefed up to lighten Latta’s load.

Cliffjumper and Teletraan meanwhile we’re meant to have a continued bigger presence but we’re written out because the writers wouldn’t listen to Casey Kasem’s concerns about Arabic stereotypes (he was of Lebanese descent) and Jazz was replaced with Blaster in part because of Scatman Crothers’ death.

Jazz is mainly hurt by 3 things:

Scatman Crothers’ health and death sidelined him in G1 despite clearly being a breakout favorite.
    Bay killed him off and never brought him back.
    Animated got canceled a season before what was going to be a Jazz-centric season.

He’s always been popular enough to get disproportionate toy support. They brought him back as one of just a handful of Classic Pretenders. He was made into an Actionmaster (despite others like Ironhide not making the cut). He was one of the characters selected for G2. His design inspired characters in Beast Wars and the Unicron trilogy. He was selected as part of the handful made for Spychangers. He was released again as a highly visible figure in Alternators. He got a ridiculous amount of Bayverse toys for his role in the Bayverse.

And, of course, he got the single best and most accurate CHUG toy pre-Prime Wars.

And that thing was a LOVE LETTER with his Pretenders gun, his Bayverse altmode (tweaked a bit for lack of license), articulation, quality, and so Geewun it fits on a WFC shelf in every respect aside from lack of 3mm and 5mm interactions and being too tall.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Is it really that tall? I thought rts jazz works just fine same with universe sunstreaker. maybe that's just my lack of scale care. everything past 84 is a confusing mess. also the cons don't get a tier list since it's just the A list of 84 cons being megatron seekers and maybe soundwave, and then just the rest being in b tier and c tier being reflector and the insecticons

16. RodimusRex

Yeah. The shortage of quality Decepticons did nudge me into getting the Rainmakers and would, for me, make Sunstorm worth considering if we get one. It’s a shame that the Titan Devastator Constructicons are an eyesore individually and I’d be tempted by non combining or CW limb style versions. And MAYBE that’s viable as I think we’re due for the Autobot Double Targetmasters like Quickmix and I would get Constructicon decos.

As a rule, I think Decepticons need non-G1 imports to have a quality roster to go up against 84 bots. Siege Barricade fits that bill for me as it’s a prominent Decepticon, G1-ized. Slipstream, Blackarachnia/Airachnid, Lugnut.

I have been happy with CW Insecticons but I have a feeling I’ll want to replace them with WFC short deluxes when I see them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

I mean you could hypotheically make some of the post 87 guys into main cons. like needlenose, he was pretty prevolent in the idw comics, why not import him as a main con

18. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll set aside your condencending attitude and simply state that what you provided are nothing more than articles about client targeted with the various lines/series while I've simply asked for actual sale figures in accordance with the buyers type.

Your articles even state references to adults fans being a main target client base, which was my point.

So I really don't know why you felt you needed to be so defensive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Do you have any sources? Because that’s how a good faith argument goes, I give you sources then you give a counter point with your sources. A good example of this is @orangeitis and me (to the annoyance of everyone else:p  ).

Right now you are just nitpicking my sources without giving any of your own to direct me in a unproductive defensive position so that you don’t have contend with your points, which is reflexive control.

I gave you figures and sales (SDCC 2018 interviews and Hasbro Corporate filling for 2018).

I mean Needlenose could be made into a main character, but usually the current “kids” show would give you an idea who is eligible for that spot You could look at them as B level characters, right under the mains. So I am sure we may see a Generations Slipstream or Shadpwstriker in a year or two.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. RodimusRex

For my money, there are only a few characters like that who have the charisma and design concept to graduate to the A list.

Animated was pretty remarkable at creating new ones.

But I think MOST late G1 characters don’t qualify, among other reasons because they’re hired muscle and a similar blend of blue and purple.

Bludgeon could graduate to the A list. I don’t think every character has that potential. You could write any character better, make them deeper and more interesting. Maybe Needlenose can lead a Cybertronian religion or become an ally of a human paramilitary group. But no amount of good stories will be a substitute for iconic design principles and a distinctive character whose name, appearance, and mannerisms tell you everything worth knowing about them in ten seconds.

Deathsaurus, Scorponok, Skyquake, Bludgeon, maybe.

But even then they’d stand out like a sore thumb if they’re the only post-1985 character on the shelf.

Slipstream, Lugnut, Siege Barricade — I feel like if you Floro Dery the designs up a bit, they can slip into the early roster.

• Like Like x 2