War for Cybertron: Earthrise Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Oct 1, 2019.

1. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Renderform looks lovely. I settled for the Matrix Workshop offering, M13-B. It's also pretty good. They even improved the handle. Is the Renderform painted?

Thank you for showing me this!

Think Soundwave is my final purchase for a long time. Exclusives are ridiculously expensive these days.

20201216_084142.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 16
  2. Galaximus Prime

Galaximus Prime Humans are so plicomcated

And stupidity prevails once again.

retro.png

• Like Like x 19
  3. nonmetal

nonmetal Human Scientist

Ebay:
    IMG_4226.JPG

Loving this version of Soundwave. Only gripe are knees jutting out of sides of tapeplayer mode and lack of battery compartment. Made a few add on bits for bot mode. Rifle is a modified Siege. Still have original Earthrise unaltered.

Minor/Repaint: - Earthrise Soundwave

• Like Like x 15
  4. stprime

stprime THE Prime that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    I would like these guys in a two pack.

1ADD89F4-3719-489D-89A5-4CA211022AC0.jpeg 035E5807-5B9B-49F5-8096-11CBD856D207.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  5. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat SELLING EVERYTHING!!

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  6. oturan

oturan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did not notice before this. Thanks a lot.

Does any one with inside information know whether he is going to be released as a main line wave? All the Netflix are practically redecos of the main line. Why not vice versa?

I am most definitely sure BB will be released as a main line. Well why wouldn't they do that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is absolutely zero indication thus far that Bumblebee and Soundwave will be anything but Walmart Netflix exclusives

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ethan personaff

Ethan personaff Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So I'm guessing Thrust is not gonna go back in stock then?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would you guess that? We go through this with almost every target exclusive, they cycle almost always repeats itself. Thrust will hit saturation at some point and he will be fairly easy to find for a bit

• Like Like x 3
  11. St Firebringer

St Firebringer The Office Farter

I'm not going to chance it personally. There are definitely people more in the know than me though. I just feel like Earthrise got shorted and some things dumped into Netflix (no dirty decos) because 2020 2020'd its 2020 all over everything and everyone and it's just goddamn chaos right now!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    If you know you’re evil, better just say it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlaminisPrime

BlaminisPrime Nyon Denier

Twitter:
    I mean look at him hes clearly meant for earthrise
    In fact rumor has it he was gonna he in earthrise but there were no slots open

• Like Like x 5
  14. Doctor Prime

Doctor Prime Dark Rider Prime

News Credits:
    has anyone got this upgrade for wheeljack and how do i get one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  15. destroncombaticon

destroncombaticon DestronCombaticon

Ebay:
    61D9C1F6-6289-4FD4-AEF3-66A6F5C0C5E6.jpeg 47BAEC2B-FF1E-4ADA-B239-074097DFD7A6.jpeg Seriously enjoying this repaint! Really hoping that the medics 2 pack gets delivered for Christmas lol happy Holidays everyone!!

• Like Like x 16
  16. DriftsEdge

DriftsEdge The keyboard samurai

We do actually need roads for where we are going...
    BBCEA50D-75E1-4589-B47A-C255FD7B1A0B.jpeg

AHHH!
    145E7CEE-FD09-4363-8A54-29BB366016F2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 23
  17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

One was $15 and the other was $20.

6E9C7E74-E2EB-4982-B890-DA5862815ABF.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  18. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Ah, the Coneheads! Simultaneously more interesting and more boring than the '84 Seekers. So bland were the characters that I still have to do a bit of a think to remember the difference between Ramjet and Dirge. Still, check the fancy wings out!

These guys were practically Decepticon red shirts in the comic. Even letting Dirge be boss of The Ten Deadliest Killers in 'Target:2006' couldn't imbue the lad with much personality. Still, check the fancy wings out!

There's something about the 'coneheaded' design that really does make them dorky. To this day I struggle not to think of that awful looking Dan Ackroyd film (I've never actually seen it. Perhaps it's a stone-cold classic). It doesn't help one take these guys seriously as a credible threat. I appreciate the desire to differentiate from the class of '84 Seeker, but I can never sign off on this being the best option.

The only one I ever saw as a kid was Thrust. Blessedly this was in the summer of '85 before I'd seen the Coneheads feature in the comic or the cartoon, so there was no reason for little 6 year old me to think that his head should be transformed any different from Starscream's. I found him fascinating, much as I did any toy that my friend's owned that I didn't. That solid burgundy, with the black highlight, is so good. It's a simple and striking colour scheme. As I look through my G1 shelves, it's surprising to see that it wasn't used more often. And those wings! They fascinated me as a kid.

I didn't see Dirge or Ramjet until about 30 years later. It's hard to look at them with the same eyes as my 6-year-old self. The rational part of me can rearrange them, put the cone down, move the wings so the wider end is nearer the shoulders. But the less rational bit of me goes 'no, that's all wrong. Put the cone up and move the wings so it looks like they're both wearing ballgowns. There! Much worse!'. Is cartoon accuracy such a splendid ambition?

Even then, I'm not in love with either of them. I want to be. As bland as I find Ramjet's deco, I enthusiastically change him to jet mode in the hope that it'll come together. But it's no more than ok. And his weapons are just goofy. And I feel much the same about Dirge. Still, check the fancy wings out!

Hasn't Earthrise turned out to be such a weird line? More Power of the Primes then Titans Return. 3 waves. Some highly anticipated characters released only through the Netflix WfC channel. Redo's of 2nd tier characters that we'd only just got in Siege. And ALLLLLLLLLLL the Coneheads released as exclusives.

Obviously, somewhere around the point where it was decided to extend Siege by a 5th wave, the plan changed. It's easy to imagine a line where Wheeljack and Spinister were released alongside each other, and Snapdragon followed shortly after Apeface. With Thrust and Runabout making it at mainline retail in a 4th wave.

And, I must note that I've found it frustrating to see so many characters who got toys in Siege get an (often quite subtle) update in Earthrise. While I'm sitting here waiting for Nightbeat, the Autobot Targetmasters, and Gears, it's kind of annoying that we've had new versions of Ratchet, Ironhide, Bluestreak, Prowl, Smokescreen, Optimus, Megatron, Thundercracker, Skywarp, and Starscream.

This brings me back round to the figures I'm actually meant to be talking about.

So, I skipped the ER versions of Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp because a) I genuinely preferred the Siege versions, and b) I wanted to use my wallet to -possibly very impotently- vote against quite how rapidly we've got the same characters again. All of which to say, this is my first experience of the ER Seeker mold.

I'm genuinely glad I've got a different set of molds for my Seekers and my Coneheads. It goes a way to make them distinct. There's no denying that the ER mold is very poseable, with its wide ankle tilt and highly articulated arm. But it lacks the excellent hip, waist, and magic shoulder articulation that made the Siege Seeker such a joy to pose. I'm also not in love with the blockiness of the torso section. There was something quite svelte about the Siege Seeker's torso that really appealed to me.

The bothersome blockiness of the torso carries over to the jet mode too. If it had tapered just a little in the middle, much as the G1 version did, I think we'd have wound up with a much sleeker looking death machine. As it stands, we're a few details away from a brick with wings and a cockpit.

As one would reasonably expect, there's very little difference between the three of them. But I've still got some issues to address with their individual bits and pieces.

With Ramjet, the vibrant maroon has been swapped out for a bland rusty red. The proportions of the wings feels all wrong. Looking at the G1 version, the wings fan out further and the 'swept forward' ends on the ER version feel like a rather liberal interpretation of the original design. And where are his bonny wee blue and silver lines?

Dirge has the dopey open mouth, which seems to be the now inevitable consequence of getting a Seeker. I actually quite like the deeper indigo they've used for his main body, but the weird washed out mustard coloured wings, which replace the sparkly gold of the original, is a disappointment. Also I'm not a fan of the incline on the wingtips. I'm a fan of the right angles of the original.

All these things feel like 'bad' decisions rather than design compromises. I must sound like a real bitch, but I don't hate these guys. I just look at them, wring my hands, and grumble 'why?' at all these odd little choices.

And then we have Thrust. Thrust, who has proved to be astoundingly hard to get in lots of places that don't have a Target. Like my country.

I could not abide by the idea of only having two-thirds of the Coneheads. And the prospect of being able to get the Takara version 6 months down the line wasn't that palatable either. So, like the putz I am, I paid twice the average retail price for this guy and got him shipped all the way from Taiwan. It sucks, and I'd have done it again, but my tolerance for having to do incredibly dopey things like this is waning.

And I don't know if it makes it better or worse that he is clearly the standout of three Earthrise Coneheads. Perhaps it's because his colour scheme is so simple and striking; two colours instead of three, with nothing dull about the burgundy. Unlike the 'mustard' of Dirge or the 'rust' of Ramjet we've got a beautifully smooth and glossy coloured plastic for him.

And of all the fancy wing boys, he has the fanciest. Asn the ones that have translated best onto the modern take.The fact that they're not attached to his legs in any way makes this feel like a more articulate and supple figure, and the least compromised in jet mode.

So I feel like I end the whole Earthrise experience on a bit of a downer. It's not been a disaster of a line by any stretch of the imagination. It's not even been as frustratingly messy as PotP. But it has disappointed. From the choice of cast, to the issues around availability, to the execution of some of the less satisfying figures (Astrotrain and Doubledealer, I'm looking at youse), to the squeezed number of waves, it's all felt like an 'almost, but not quite' line. Sure we've got some zingers like Snapdragon, Sky Lynx, Scorponok, and the Quint crew. But for each of those we've had an otherwise excellent Grapple with serious QC issues, a general reliance on partsforming to solve problems, a greater proportion of desirable characters relegated to often hard to get exclusives, and the peculiar dead end that was the Modulators.. I'll look back at individual figures fondly, but I doubt I'm going to remember the line with much affection. And considering the year that this line came out during, perhaps that's appropriate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 25
  19. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

Cliffjumper is brave as fxck...

IMG_20201216_055109_606.jpg

• Like Like x 20