War for Cybertron: Earthrise Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Oct 1, 2019.

1. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "They move with fluid efficiency. Too long have they sat idle."
    From TF:UK#45 'The Icarus Theory"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    I used to be a part of the "Sky Lynx should be Titan to match his rival Predaking" group. Then I saw the first pictures of him and realized that I actually don't care about the rivalry as much as I thought I did. At this point, I don't actually care how he looks with PK, I just want my damn catbird/dinochicken like yesterday.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Joey_Santana

Joey_Santana Shockwave fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG_20200407_102126_555.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    He is worthy 1586271026296.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  7. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

SnapShot(34).png Agreed

• Like Like x 18
  8. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Looking back now....

I think the trailer for G1 Optimus was a bit too big.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It looks a lot better in hands mate.
    Honestly, I rather it a bit too big than the original trailer which is a joke comparing with it was supposed to be. This is a 50USD figure...C'mon Hasbro...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Robots78

Robots78 Robotanist

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    649943FD-A94B-4EBF-A436-6B9350FA99B3.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  12. Joey_Santana

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "The matrix is a hard burden and I feel proud to be chosen by it but now it is time to return it to its real owner. It is really good to have you back Optimus Prime"

You did a great work Rodimus, the Autobots will always remember your efforts... Welcome back Hot Rod"
    20200407_194334.jpg 20200407_194356.jpg 20200407_194257.jpg 20200407_195309.jpg

• Like Like x 26
  13. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

The reprolabels do help that trailer - a bit but you got a point it should have been a bit bigger

I'm really interested in tryin to track down the trailer that @TooKean used for his custom here:
    TooKean

but I'm to remember if that trailer turned into his jet pack or his weapons' rack.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    The DOTM trailer just opens up to reveal this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  15. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    DSCN4455.JPG

• Like Like x 14
  16. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20200407_211344.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  17. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Spinister victorious:
    Spinister victorious.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  18. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    So i just got ER Starscreams and he has an odd brown fin

is this meant to be there or do i have some odd variant or something?

E0B95AFF-131E-4C9E-9253-BC9FC3DF0710.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  19. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    [​IMG]
    I love Wheeljack, but I can't quite remember why. Like, it had to have something to do with the comics, right? I mean it pretty much always does. Let me go check.

Ok. Wasn't the comics. The most memorable thing he did there was get shouted at by Optimus for making Buster his battle suit. That and be a dialogue prompt for Ratchet in 'Wrath of Grimlock'. Ok, so it can't be that. And I never saw the toy until I was in my thirties, so scratch that too.

So, uh...Cartoon? I'm afraid so. From that opening scene with Bumblebee and the Seekers, and the awesome little hop he does when he transformers. And, of course, his voice. Christ, that makes me feel shallow. As a child. I'm really deep now. Honest.

In defense of six year old me, that voice acting really did lend the 'bot a hell of a lot of character. Wheeljack just seemed likable. He didn't seem like the sort of guy that relished warfare. He seemed good humoured, and perhaps a little out of his comfort zone amongst a bunch of soldiers. Of all the Autobots he actually felt like the most approachable, even avuncular, of the Ark Crew. For little kids hoping that 'cool adults' actually existed, Wheeljack was yer man.

Yer G1 Wheeljack remains an utterly barmy, but still quite enchanting example of Diaclone era TF's. I'd long since assumed he was one of the very early guys, up there with Sunstreaker and Ironhide/Ratchet, due to his 'primitive' look and distinctly un-anthropomorphic 'bot mode. Imagine my surprise when I realised that the molds that wound up as Skids, the Datsun bros, Hound, Mirage, and Sideswipe all came first!

And, like Magnus, Ironhide, and Ratchet, Wheeljack makes a lot more sense as a Diaclone toy, rather than a sentient, andromorphic alien robot. From his disproportionate limbs, to his totally inhuman face (softened up so much by the Sunbow crew, to great effect), Wheeljack is an ungodly freak. Like with Magnus, weird stumpy legs don't matter when you can just trundle along on your wheels.

As a piece of design, he still feels oddly primitive. None of the transformation solutions seem that inspired to me. In fact, if someone told me that he was actually the first TF ever designed I'd probably believe it. It may seem like an odd thing but the visible metal pole that his arms are attached to feel like the most obvious clue.

And man, he comes with even more easily lost detachable bits than Hound. Thanks Takara! Every time I detach or re-attach those shoulder-mounted missile launchers I wince, waiting for something to break.

And, as has been noted countless times, those Diaclone guys are sexy cars first and awkward robots second. And boy-o-boy, is Wheeljack one sexy car. Not only is the Lanica Stratos a hot car in its own right, but Wheeljack is an awesome recreation of it. Both the deco and detail are stunning. If you can find one, just take a good, long, moment to appreciate the amount of detail on the front of the car. I've recently been looking at a lot of the TF toys from 1988 and, as far as alt modes go, this really puts them to shame.

I was excited to see the first reveals for Eeathrise Wheeljack. I'd been anticipating this guy since that first WfC fanvote (because there was no way in hell we weren't getting him). So when those first renders were shown in October of 2019 I was a bit deflated. He seemed blocky, gappy, and generally kind of uninspiring. And those 'wings' were even close to being right. Big sigh. The fact that the vehicle mode looked not bad took some of the sting out, but still...

As more pictures came in, from physical display copies at the big conventions, to in hand pictures from the fandom he started to look a bit more appealing. Slowly, he crept back up to being the ER wave 1 Deluxe I was most psyched for.

And the day has come. In the second week of the UK Covid-19 lockdown, no less. Well done Royal Mail.

He's really not without his charms and is faithful to the animation model in appealing ways. The headsculpt is, particularly on point. Those big baby blue eyes are stunning. Initially, I thought the arms looked a little generic, but when I actually look back they're pretty on model. I do wish the legs filled out a little more. Sideswipe has shown us that you can get a flap in there to hide such sins. BUT, and this is true of pretty much all this dude's attributes, it looks a hell of a lot better than those renders. I swear, I feel like they're choosing the most deliberately unflattering angles sometimes. Have you seen the one for Sunstreaker? Yeesh!

And speaking of peculiar choices, it's somewhat striking that they've chosen to give us an accessory that recalls the G1 toy rather than the animation model, namely that shoulder cannon. I actually don't mind it too much. Sometimes those longer shoulder launchers can be a bit of a nuisance.

It's only now that I put my finger on exactly what really makes Wheeljack feel...not quite right. I always knew that chest was so blocky, but when I look at in hand it all becomes very clear. That bloody window does not follow the distinctive curve of the roof. Honestly, if they'd just have fixed that tiny, trifling detail I'd have been so much happier with the toy. I'd even have overlooked all the back flappage and the tiny wings. Seriously, they should have done something with those unsightly pieces of plastic behind his arms. At least the fact that Sideswipe's fold in makes it feel more deliberate.

The transformation is pretty pleasing. I particularly enjoyed the hark to the old G1 transformation shceme, with his arms folding round to make the back of the car. Points off, however, for the fact the front of the windscreen that fold into his legs keep popping off.

The car mode looks magnificent from nearly every angle. I think only the back of Siege Prowl's car mode looks so nice. And that profile! Talk about sleek. So, what's the one angle it looks really bad from? Above. It just looks like such an inelegant block. Just a little more contouring between the wheels and the door would have made it so much nicer (and wouldn't have ruined the bot mode legs). There's a lovely amount of detail on the alt mode deco, from references to Wheeljacks's role as nutty inventor to the Modulators (are they saying he invented them?) to a few Cybertronian cities(shout out to the Praxus massive). What's a little jarring is the sudden switch from English to Katakanna script as the fist section meets the foot section.

He's a frustrating little dude, is yer ER Wheeljack. On one hand he has all the charm that you'd associate with, arguably, one of the most endearing G1 characters. on the other, we have a toy that comes really close to greatness but seems to drop the ball on some minor, yet significant, features.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  20. thedicemaster

thedicemaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's supposed to be as grey as all other grey bits.
    most likely some contaminant got into the plastic during dyeing causing the discoloration.
    or its just dirt that can be washed off.

• Like Like x 2