War For Cybertron Battle Master Rung

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Spartan Prime, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    Picked this lil pal up at a local comic shop about 2 weeks back and I haven't seen a thread on him. Never did one of these before, so pardon the mess. And my amateur photos. Someone better than I can step in when they get the time and a Rang of their own.

Also, spoilers for MtMtE/Lost Light. Be advised.

One of the more surprising announcements (certainly to me, at least) was that we would be getting a Rung of any kind. More surprising is the quality of the tiny forgettable therapist/god/normal guy.

First off, the colors pop and the details and molding are amazing. There is constantly something to look at. As much as all the detailing in Siege's line may grate some TF fans, I think they led to molds like this being appreciated in smaller scales. From his bespectacled eyes to his asymmetrical antennae to the tiny rivets adorning his alt-mode's crest.

Legs and shoulders are on ball joints. No neck articulation though.

20191112_113444.jpg

And who would have thought it? Waist articulation!

20191112_114014.jpg

He of course comes with two lil spike looking/electric drill bit props he can fire from his feet in alt mode and like all Battle Master and weapon effect parts in the line they can be pegged to any other peg and port as provided by all characters in the line. IMHO? These are some of the most lackluster. Neat unique look, but they just aren't really all that dynamic or multi-functional.

20191112_113633.jpg

20191112_113656.jpg 20191112_113658.jpg

This episode co-stars Swerve. Here seen lazily recreating their team-up from MtMtE issue 19, where Swerve uses his altmode as a bludgeoning weapon. The heresy of it all.

20191112_113718.jpg

His altmode could have been a gun. Any gun. A rifle or, hell, even the aforementioned bludgeoning weapon. Or a stick. But nawp, they went and made him a reference of his IDW alt-mode, which (SPOILER) made the Matrix (and later, Matrices). I have every intention of giving this a little paint to help make it not-so-entirely orange down the line, but hey- it works.

20191112_113600.jpg
    20191112_113530.jpg

Transformation is as simple as it's ever been. Arms rotate from upwards to downwards, the upper portion of his alt-mode rotates down and behind him, and you unpeg the legs. Easy and quick. If I do have any gripes, it is that his "hood" (for lack of a better term) is so large that it can affect his leg angles in standing positions, forcing him to lean forward ever so slightly, as seen here:

20191112_113510.jpg

You notice it more in person than in images, and it isn't that bad? But I have taken to leaving the hood swing out a little bit just to keep him from looking sad that no one ever remembers his name. Poor Rong.

Even with that? Nothing bothers his ability to stand upright. He's absolutely sturdy in both modes.

Final thoughts:

I've picked up the BMs sporadically, mostly for the effects they come with. None of them were really must-haves, but as a lover of IDW and the MtMtE run this was something I couldn't miss. For the first time, I was more interested in the figure than the parts he came with and being as I have a tendency to carry a tinyformer with me at most times just to fiddle with like the OCD nut that I am, he's become by little pocket therapist.

Pros: Great mold, great articulation, great character pull from the recent comics and a must have for a fan.

Cons: The arms have a habit of not being able to tab in all the way. May just be a molding issue on mine and probably just needs shaved down. The effects could have been more than they are.

My first review, so I'm probably going a little easy, but he gets a solid A-. He's exactly what he needed to be as a functional Battle Master and a great first interpretation of the character.

20191031_200523.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 22
  2. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good review. Thanks.

3. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

I still can't believe this figure exists

• Like Like x 6
  4. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Heck yeah, so glad to see a Rung figure. He looks great too, despite being so small and simple.

5. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Great review, thanks!

Still wish he was bigger, like scout or legends class, but I'm happy we finally got an official Ring figure.

6. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Want. Mtmte forever

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Great review! I'm anticipating this tiny little figure more than any of the bigger, fancier, schmancier, masterpieceir toys that have come out this year. I mean, it's Rung. He's a miracle, the comic is a miracle and this toy is a miracle. And as if the universe wanted to prove what I just said, I literally just got a PayPal notification as I was writing the above that BBTS charged me for my Rung. :lol 

• Like Like x 4
  8. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    Thanks! And I had actually mentioned this in the V1.0 write up of this review before removing it for being a bit off-topic, but in a nutshell; I think this size works for now. It's something of a taste test for the figure and I'm sure Hasbro will keep an eye on its sales to see if any other MtMtE originals warrant a unique release because someone is clearly paying it SOME love.

At the same time, he turns into an accessory. His Matrix-maker alt-mode doesn't provide a lot of use or playability unless its in the hands of someone who appreciates its reference. Otherwise, to the rest of the market, he turns into a stick. And that doesn't sell.

9. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait. Rung made the Matrix?

10. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Rung is
    Primus

• Like Like x 2
  11. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah. In IDW1, Rung is Primus. Who is actually just another Transformer. None of the "deities" are anything of the sort. They are just old transformers, nothing mystical. Primus/Rung made the Matrix and it was passed down to become the religious artifact it would be known to us as.

12. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Too bad. So Unicron is the only semi deity being in IDW?

13. Antz

Antz Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Wwwweeellllllllll....kinda not, no. I don't even think he was technically a Transformer proper in that iteration.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    No, he was the creation of an alien scientist whose world was ravaged and destroyed by the ancient Cybertronian expansion efforts. Nova Prime attempted to enslave the universe and Unicron's creator made him as a doomsday weapon. IDW effectively has no "gods".

• Like Like x 4
  15. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weird. So he really isnt that old then.

16. Spartan Prime

News Credits:
    Comparatively, yes. Rung is approximately 12 billion years old. Unicron is approximately 8 million years old.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Unicron I meant. Thanks for the history lessons everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Finally my life is complete.

8CC7748C-26A9-4B7F-BDDA-F0C55F12AD7F.jpeg 8247DEF4-B726-46E7-8250-77AADBEA7F73.jpeg

• Like Like x 20
  19. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just want the blast effects. They look pretty interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    The blast effects look like they could be good "exit blasts" more than anything.

As in, showing that a laser blast has gone straight through.

• Like Like x 3