War for Cybertron (2019) Speculation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Spiderus Prime, Feb 17, 2018.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I figure the twist you get this time is to "Captain America" Bumblebee. Have him wake up in the Beast Wars.

Original Beast Wars was pretty sloppy with its G1 connections to a point where Starscream's ghost not only had to be a time traveler but had to be a ghost a second time since Starscream was alive at the end of American G1.

I always thought it showed bizarre restraint that JG1 never just brought in Starscream between Headmasters and Zone. They brought back a bunch of dead bad guys and killed off a bunch of bad guys but Starscream literally could have waltzed in. The only reason he was dead in later manga and such was because Beast Wars said he died again.

I'm not sure how much you can improve on MOST of the BW toys while being faithful to them. But I think the show had good dialogue (deliberately cheesy), characters, and acting with animation that dated worse than G1 and a plot that seemed to have less planning behind it than G1.

2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? G1 didn't even have a plot really. They told individual 30 minute stories with very little to connect them, and they often contradicted previous episodes. At least BW had season arcs as well as individual episodes

• Like Like x 6
  3. RodimusRex

Season 3, man. The only time I think they sat down at the beginning and plotted out multi-episode arcs.

That said, in early Season 1 and 2, there was continuity and Season 2 was done with knowledge of Transformers: The Movie. Orion Pax's design was Ultra Magnus concept art.

Basically, Hasbro went into the movie with the idea of "all new molds designed around robot mode first" because kids were fans of the robot characters. Then Hasbro chickened out and was like, "We can't make LITERALLY everything new!" So Ultra Magnus became Powered Convoy and his design minus beard became Orion Pax who had a funky face because they omitted the beard from his model.

A lot of the S3 stuff was Marv Wolfman showing initiative I'd bet but essentially there were 4 subplots and every episode advanced one of them. It got sloppy because Hasbro would demand a character change but I'm pretty sure there was SUPPOSED to be one Decepticon who rebelled and stole Trypticon, got exiled, became friends with an Autobot, met Starscream's ghost, and then tried to steal the Matrix. If there had been no toys to sell, it probably would have just been Scourge doing that all because I'm sure the writers would have preferred to only have five or six characters on each side aside from conceptual riffs like having the Aerialbots help create Alpha Trion as a funky timeloop thing since they were created from his life force.

Honestly, Animated and Prime are the only lines where I feel like the writers got all of what they asked for and then Prime got Beast Hunters.

Flint Dille and Bruce Malek did a lot of planning on G1 and the Wolfman episodes were written like a serial comic book.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fair points, but as you said, Hasbro demanded changes, which kind of threw plot out of the window. Beast Wars wasn't strictly planned out, but you can see how most future plot points got seeded early on and they usually got some payoff. Beast Wars is much more consistent when it comes to plot than G1

• Like Like x 6
  5. RodimusRex

I think it was EXCEPT where it referenced/tied into G1. Which is weird because that's limited to maybe six episodes and those are the only episodes we talk about.

My larger point isn't to slam BW. It's that one area where Hasbro has an OPPORTUNITY is to make it link to G1ish stuff in a coherent way.

The likely scenario with Cyberverse is that BW is set in the future, no weird time loops, and Bumblebee is the star because he's the main character for kids. And we'll have Bumblebee wake up in the future and turn into an actual bee and be buddies with the Axalon crew and fight the Predacons, maybe with stuff like the Monsterbots and Seacons and Grimlock carrying over.

And it will be planned and make sense.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Having Bee wake up and adapt to the new Beast centered Cybertron is a good way to help keep Bee the main focus while also helping people be introduced into dozens of new takes on the BW cast. Optimus Primal especially would be a good way to keep us having an Optimus while also help retain what separates him from the Optimus Bumblebee knew which lead into interesting dynamics.

As for the idea of BW toys not needing improvements well with all due respect,the T30 figures of Rhinox,Rattrap,and Waspinator had proven that it's actually possible to do so.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RodimusRex

It's POSSIBLE. I feel like Telemocha came very close to ideal. Affordable reissues of that feel solid to me. Blackarachnia and Rhinox feel to me like the show characters best suited to Telemocha style redecos in the vein of Takara CHUG releases. That basically leaves Cheetor as the one who could be majorly improved upon without just dredging up an existing old mold in a new deco.

I don't disagree that CHUG Rhinox is an improvement but I'm not sure how you improve further without just releasing that again with deco improvements.

Megatron, Primal, Rhinox, Blackarachnia, and Waspinator have had major improvements made to already fairly timeless figures.

8. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Again with all due respect Blackarachnia has yet to have a figure that REALLY resembles her show design aside from her MP figure. Sure her Takara Legends figure is close don't get me wrong but even then being retooled from a mold designed to be different originally isn't the same thing as having a dedicated new mold for her. As for Waspinator if you're talking about his T30 figure then sure I'd agree with you there.

• Like Like x 4
  9. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    I'm a little late, but I just wanted to drop in and say....this is actually pretty compelling. I now want similar proof of concept for every seemingly far fetched idea you bring.

Yours in anticipation,
    Barrington Wom.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...what was last year's fan vote?..i haven't been able to participate since they went all BookSpace for those things in lieu of a real website...

11. Tarkus 2

Tarkus 2 Well-Known Member

You don't think...oh....oh boy....the Part 3 voting choices....

Can you just imagine...just imagine for like one minute...the idea alone of them doing a fan vote (with Needlenose again, seriously they just want to make a NEW Needlenose that badly...) with say Skids.....or even Crosscut repaint...I mean legit think about this...think about this....Part 3 has

-Needlenose (They might put him in there to tease us...maybe he'll get a new toy)
    -Skids/Crosscut (I mean both can be cool)
    -Crashbash (AKA Squeezeplay) or even Terri-bull...

I mean the idea alone....I can already imagine the thought of the start of Wave 4 has Skids while Part 3 has Needlenose in Wave 1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Biggering Is Triggering More Biggering!

News Credits:
    Deluxe class vote: Runamok VS Needlenose VS Gnaw VS Shrapnel

Needlenose is DEFINITELY getting a toy, he has been in the last two polls.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Tarkus 2

Well the question remains though: Tracks is a possible Part 3 Wave 1 figure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I can see this being how a potential Micromaster Overload or even an Armada Overload figure can be made for modern times like this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bee can’t turn into a bee beecause it’s to hard to bee defended as a trademark for Bumblebee’s name.

16. Tarkus 2

Just make Injector for Generations and done-zo

17. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

alright get me some duct tape
    [​IMG]
    I have a way to make a two bot torso combiner

Alright time for another ramble demostration: how to create a modern pretender with two things, a small deluxe and a weaponizer/modulator
    [​IMG]
    now, because I have no clue how to attach siege magnus's armor to cliff we have this.
    so, Cliff is supposed to represent an inner for a pretender, an actual inner robot would be sorta less bulky, and that weaponizer corpse would you know...look like armor.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see here he would probably be the size of a voyager, why? who the fuck would buy a bunch of leader pretenders, he smaller than mags, sameish size as grapple and I'm pretty sure 1 small deluxe + weaponizer armor = voyager. Now you may be asking "what the hell would this armor do in alt mode?"
    well, do as the leader does, have the armor combine with the alt al la mega pretenders and siege magnus, more guns to landmine's alt mode or whatever, I could see more bulky guys getting larger pricepoints a la bludegon, grimlock, etc
    but no one would buy a loser like skyhigh for 50 bucks
    [​IMG]
    who would pay for this for 50 bucks
    now is this a massive stretch? maybe, could this happen? probably not, but I enjoy doing demonstrations and I feel like this could work
    [​IMG]
    oh right this is what a pretender alt mode could look like..but with..you know more cohesion

I'm smart

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

I was bored and made a speculative list for part 3. Probably hilariously inaccurate, but I had fun.

Deluxe
    Tracks
    Needlenose
    Crankcase
    Jazz
    Skids
    Hot Rod
    Wreck-Gar
    Gnaw
    Shrapnel
    Lockdown
    Optimus Primal
    BlackArachnia
    Rattrap
    retools/repaints
    Sideswipe
    Tigatron
    Tarantulas
    Road Rage
    Dogfight

Voyager
    Blitzwing
    Scourge
    Galvatron
    Dinobot (BW)
    Blaster
    Optimus Prime (G2)

Leader
    Rodimus Prime
    Cyclonus
    Grimlock
    Earth Ultra Magnus

Kup Blurr Perceptor Titans Return molds Retooled/repainted to be more film accurate, de-headmastered
    Skids and Crosscut in ROTF Skids/Mudflap colors
    Mirage/Hound 2 pack

Selects/Exclusives
    Crosscut
    Ricochet
    Crankcase (DOTM colors)
    Crosswise (Cybertron)
    Junkheap
    Black Rodimus
    Twincast
    Lockdown (AOE colors, extra weapons included)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

so if my deal of modulator micromaster transport thingies is gonna be correct they will have to do...sigh erector, and well that name will probably be changed, because you know. I propose using the name mudflap because of the 007 toy and so he shelfwarms to continue the mudflap family tradition
    that is all, but i also have my dumb ideas for wave 1 of wfc3:
    deluxes: Flattop tracks, needlenose and jazz
    voyagers: Galvatron (he turns into a helicopter no you don't get an opinion on that), maybe primal,
    Leaders: I dunno man, lets dig into the hat and pull out something whacky: we got quickswitch

20. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

Haven't read the whole thread so this might have already been mentioned.

Bumblebee should get his own mold. Assuming it's a VW beetle, I can see Hasbro making a generations select repaint of Cliffjumper as a sporty Bumblebee, like in the movie when he changes car types at the end.

• Like Like x 1