War for Cybertron (2019) Speculation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Spiderus Prime, Feb 17, 2018.

1. jojo1982

jojo1982 Well-Known Member

waaay overdue

• Like Like x 1
  2. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    For me, when it comes to BW Season 2 and 3 designs, this is who I see them:

Deluxe:
    TM Cheetor
    TM Rattrap
    TM Tarantulas
    TM Ravage
    FZ Silverbolt
    FZ Quickstrike
    TM2 Blackarachnia
    TM2 Cheetor

Voyager:
    TM Optimus Primal
    TM Megatron
    TM2 Dinobot

Leader:
    TM Depth Charge
    TM Rampage
    TM2 Tigerhawk
    TM2 Megatron

Commander:
    TM Optimal Optimus

• Like Like x 6
  3. Tarkus 2

Tarkus 2 Well-Known Member

Good list....gotta respect that but if we're doing Beast Wars we gotta do it based on the three season.

Transformers Generations: Beast Wars Part 1: Jungle battles

Deluxes
    Wave 1:

-Cheetor

-Rattrap

-Waspinator

-Tarantulas

Voyagers

-Optimus Primal (Season 1)

-Megatron (Season 1)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

eh..I sorta hope it isn't just every beast wars show character..I mean despite bw the show being loved I hope guys like b'boom, ramulus, iganus, wolfang etc, get some love, I'm not expecting everyone but a nice mix of non show and show guys with season 3, tftm and post 87 guys would be ideal

• Like Like x 3
  5. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

Hmm...

What if the next trilogy was time travel themed...?

PWT was semi-chronological in covering the G1 gimmicks and loosely the groups of characters. Combiners -> Head and Targetmasters -> Pretenders. Ark crew -> TFTM and Triple Changers -> Abominus.

Siege has been more fictionally chronological in both respects.

The next trilogy could be a countdown in reverse.

Part 1. Pirates and Predacons vs. Maximals and Knights with a side of Machine Wars. Fireguts Ginrai and Leo Prime as your obligatory G1 Optimus dudes. ATB Megatron and Starscream with tooling differences from also-released Dreadwind and Smokescreen. Throw in maybe a redeco boxed set of WFC Mirage and Hoist as Machine Wars Mirage and Hoist. Play up the idea in the far future that it's a 4 faction fight between Lawful Good Knights, Chaotic Good Maximals, Chaotic Evil Pirates, and Lawful Evil Predacons. Titan: Axalon.

Part 2. The Present-ish. JG1. Supergod Masterforce. Victory. Pretenders. Earthmode Ark characters missed in WFC. Maybe a few Junkions. Titan: Liokaiser.

Part 3. The Past. Alpha Trion. Omega Prime. Alchemist Prime/Macaddam. Orion, Ariel, Dion. Supporting Fembot re-dos. Straxus. Jhiaxus. Maybe work in characters Siege missed. Cybertronian Jazz, maybe Bumblebee, Wheeljack. Sentinel Major/Prime. Megatron in a somewhat bigger budget rendition than Siege with poseable hands and mace option and such. Constructicons with Cybertronian modes and a PWT Combiner sized combo... Maybe what you do is a Commander class 3 pack with the two torso bots and Leader class 2 pack and 1 Deluxe. The budget lets you really focus more on individual figures more than single release deluxes might. Focus is on bot mode and Devastator accuracy with vehicles being the short straw priority. Titan: Teletraan Zero.

As a thread to tie it together, the trilogy focuses on Vector Prime fighting Sideways who attempts to corrupt the timeline and these 2 appear in all three parts. Hyper futuristic UT versions in part 1, slightly Diaclone-y versions in part 2, G1 toon-y versions in part 3 with VP as a retool of Alpha Trion. In each part they share molds with era themed figures.

The appropriate title is one I think we're familiar with:

Transformers: Countdown to Extinction Trilogy.

Scatter the 5 core Dinobots throughout.

Maintain the basic WFC sizing but probably depict BW bigger and JG1 smaller. My guess probably is that Hasbro might prefer Star Saber and Optimus Primal at Optimus Prime height.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

That is an awesome idea :D  and knowing how Hasbro likes to reuse names to cause confusion, the trilogy or some part of it could be called Time War even if it has little to do with the Marvel Comic storyline xD
    Also kind of reminding me of a narrative idea I previously had for the subline I'd love to see of non G1 style bots getting updates with modern engineering but their original aesthetics - especially things like Prime and Animated which had distinct art styles - multiversal mayhem going on or as someone on here put it, Crisis on Infinite Cybertrons :D 
    I know Hasbro did the whole shrouding thing to make such crossovers harder but not impossible! And really it could just be an excuse plot to have a line filled with all these different looking bots and versions of bots ^^.

And it does seem like Hasbro are depicting Beast Wars characters as being closer in scale to their Great War era counterparts these days. Though I quite like how Earth Wars does it that they're bigger than Beast Wars but most the time travelling Beast Wars characters still tend to be on the smaller end so like Cheetor for example is about the same size as Bumblebee in robot mode, whereas the larger Beastbots like Primal and Beast Megatron are a bit bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RodimusRex

I just want to add: mobile games cannot be overestimated where Hasbro goes.

Folks always say, "There's no media to support X or Y" when there's no cartoon. I don't have hard math but I think mobile games are THE most important media tie-in Hasbro bases figure selection around in all its toylines.

If you ever wondered what drives stuff like some obscure 60s/70s Marvel Legends and NOT more famous characters, it's usually a mix of mobile games and movies and lastly vintage media.

Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts are being done now because of movie plans based on my sources, which may hew more closely to the 90s Thunderbolts comics than the modern version Youtubers go on about. In general, geek news sources like Emergency Awesome and Pagey have a "recent comics" bias in their guesses whereas Feige (who ironically didn't read comics until around 1999) is interested in time tested stories. If they do something called "Secret Invasion", it's likelier to be more derived from Kree-Skrull War. The only Bendis comics that have traction with the folks in film development are Alias and Ultimate Spider-Man. They're much more classic storyline oriented at Marvel Studios and pickier about post-2000 stuff.

Wrecking Crew and so on were driven by mobile games primarily, not PRIMARILY vintage comic fandom. Vintage comic stuff gets used by game devs and the game devs using it drives fandom.

Finally, the Fox Kids and Marvel Action Hour drive Hasbro plans which is why they take gambles on stuff like Gray Gargoyle. Note how the 90s Spider-Man cartoon stuff sold out in under an hour on Pulse yesterday. Yes. Some skewed vintage comics but the marketing and such was aimed at 90s cartoon fans.

All this ties into TF speculation, I swear! I'm illustrating how stuff gets picked.

Unannounced/secret/newly released/recently announced movie plans > Mobile games > trading cards > console/PC games > vintage 80s/90s media > hardcore fan enthusiasm.

It's not like they'll cater to one to the exclusion of others or that they can't really serve one by serving another.

But for example what will get a Dion figure made without having a popular mold partner is if there are script drafts for an Optimus Prime prequel film with Dion or if he's planned as a mobile game character or card game release for a deck strategy that kids are likely to use.

We older fans think of media as cartoons and movies. That does influence very young kids. But for 8-12 and 12-16 who make up half the CHUG G1 demo and well over half the overall TF figure buying fandom when you count SS and Cyberverse, these are action figures based on trading cards and mobile games and we can expect THAT to guide scale and designs, even if those games in turn draw from vintage media.

I just want to add: mobile games cannot be overestimated where Hasbro goes.

Folks always say, "There's no media to support X or Y" when there's no cartoon. I don't have hard math but I think mobile games are THE most important media tie-in Hasbro bases figure selection around in all its toylines.

If you ever wondered what drives stuff like some obscure 60s/70s Marvel Legends and NOT more famous characters, it's usually a mix of mobile games and movies and lastly vintage media.

Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts are being done now because of movie plans based on my sources, which may hew more closely to the 90s Thunderbolts comics than the modern version Youtubers go on about. In general, geek news sources like Emergency Awesome and Pagey have a "recent comics" bias in their guesses whereas Feige (who ironically didn't read comics until around 1999) is interested in time tested stories. If they do something called "Secret Invasion", it's likelier to be more derived from Kree-Skrull War. The only Bendis comics that have traction with the folks in film development are Alias and Ultimate Spider-Man. They're much more classic storyline oriented at Marvel Studios and pickier about post-2000 stuff.

Wrecking Crew and so on were driven by mobile games primarily, not PRIMARILY vintage comic fandom. Vintage comic stuff gets used by game devs and the game devs using it drives fandom.

Finally, the Fox Kids and Marvel Action Hour drive Hasbro plans which is why they take gambles on stuff like Gray Gargoyle. Note how the 90s Spider-Man cartoon stuff sold out in under an hour on Pulse yesterday. Yes. Some skewed vintage comics but the marketing and such was aimed at 90s cartoon fans.

All this ties into TF speculation, I swear! I'm illustrating how stuff gets picked.

Unannounced/secret/newly released/recently announced movie plans > Mobile games > trading cards > console/PC games > vintage 80s/90s media > hardcore fan enthusiasm.

It's not like they'll cater to one to the exclusion of others or that they can't really serve one by serving another.

But for example what will get a Dion figure made without having a popular mold partner is if there are script drafts for an Optimus Prime prequel film with Dion or if he's planned as a mobile game character or card game release for a deck strategy that kids are likely to use.

We older fans think of media as cartoons and movies. That does influence very young kids. But for 8-12 and 12-16 who make up half the CHUG G1 demo and well over half the overall TF figure buying fandom when you count SS and Cyberverse, these are action figures based on trading cards and mobile games and we can expect THAT to guide scale and designs, even if those games in turn draw from vintage media.

This ALSO explains the hyper-G1 focus. For the "older kid" demographic, I think Hasbro is expecting kids' introduction to the STORY and CHARACTERS of Transformers to be largely driven by cardgames and mobile.

And the G1ish art style of those things is half of why G1 thrives in toy form.

So I think you NAILED IT with Beast Wars. Earth Wars is not only our window into what Hasbro thinks about BW but is where they expect kids to know them from because mobile games are a MUCH bigger source of character exposure than cartoons.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

Good post! And thanks. It makes sense really too that mobile games (and games in general) would be a perfectly valid source as both are much more mainstream than they once were. Like back in the early days tie in games were very much secondary or even tertiary media and gaming as a whole was not 'mainstream' but these days it very much is so. Mobile games especially also make perfect sense as viewed as a more primary source because well, more and more people are using phones or tablets as their primary method of watching TV shows and movies so the connection to mobile games is stronger than ever.

9. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they do Monstructor, he could be repaints/ retools of the Terrorcons and maybe a few Seacons, and the sixth member would be a weapon in combine mode. The 5 limbs would have a weapon mode, similar to the Seacons. For Slog he could be an extensive retool of Grimlock. I think Slog should look more like his normal form and not a t-rex like monster and have no tail. I'm thinking the retool would remove the upper t-rex body and head or alter it. Can someone please try to do and post a mistransformation of Grimlock where his tail becomes his beast mode arms/claws to see if it is possible to do so.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  10. RodimusRex

I think Dinoforce would be a more logical retool.

As far as Monstructor goes, I don't think Dinoforce and Monster Pretenders could reasonably share molds if Dinoforce is based on the Dinobots.

I believe someone observed some Micromaster tooling would make MM combiners viable and scaling Monstructor similarly would work. The original was smaller than a Micromaster combiner.

I'd like some solid, posable combiners around WFC Voyager sized.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they could retool/ repaint the Dinobots into the Dinoforce and Monstructor would be like what I said before. Dinoking and Monstructor may both use a retooled Grimlock and share the gestalt head, pelvic, hands, feet, and guns.

12. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

The Siege Micromaster combiner Battle Squad was such a leap from the regular Siege Micromasters, I really hope they up the ante even further with the 'actual' MM combiners. It’s Japanese G1 only, but they did get Universe repaints (or atleast one did) and the same tech gets you five six-member teams; plus, it’s a good template for Monstructor and Dinoking as well (and its the only way I can see us getting the Pretender shells).

• Like Like x 2
  13. RodimusRex

It's also not terribly difficult engineering.

Once you've done ONE MM combiner, you've potentially done all but the head for all of them.

Realistically, I see it offered at the Leader pricepoint and as a way to do more than the 3 or so Leaders molds we're used to in a line.

The combiners would have 6 mm (around $30 USD retail) and a Deluxe's worth of plastic ($20).

The way I see it:

Head on a ball joint with a hinge that flips down to conceal it with a "peakaboo" area with 5mm port for the team leader. Butterfly shoulders on a hinge with a 5mm port.

Waist rotation on a mushroom peg that attaches to the upper torso on dual 5mm posts and 5mm port in the rear. Ratcheted thighs on a swivel and hinge with hinge knees with 5mm ports to connect to MMs.

Ankles with a 5mm post and a hinge for tilt.

Wrists with a 5mm post and hands that rotate on a mushroom peg.

Give it all the standard weaponizer slots you can for further getting AIRLOCK/COMBAT upgrades.

As a cheat, all MM combiners can share combiner parts aside from the head and are designed to slot in any MM.

14. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Made In Heaven

News Credits:
    So...
    Did anybody else notice that the Haslab Unicron's Galvatron and Rodimus no longer look like there Titans Return Counterparts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I dunno Galvy still looks pretty close, a Unicron city mode does seem to point to the base-play/build the battlefield gimmick staying around for Chapter 3 maybe?

• Like Like x 4
  16. misterd

misterd Multifaceted nerd

I can't imagine Hasbro ever making another B'boom figure.

Ever.

17. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah if that's not anymore indication of us getting new Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime and Galvatron figures for WFC3 I don't know what is.

• Like Like x 6
  18. TranslucentBag

TranslucentBag Definitively "Graph Guy"

Ebay:
    Not saying you are wrong about the build a battlefield gimmick carrying over into the final part, but you know that the Unicron base mode feature was cancelled right?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Ah, I thought that illustration was a new one! Shame, Unicron city could have been awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

well thats no fun :<
    I just hate this weirdo notion that "if it no in show it can fuck off" and I hope that these non show losers can get some love like how late 80s g1 guys get love

• Like Like x 6