WandaVision (Marvel's Scarlet Witch Disney+ Series)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Sep 18, 2018.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Interesting story, and looks promising, I like they kept vision looking like the movie but Im not expecting them to keep that look. Budgets gonna plummet after the premier like most shows, i'm sure. The movies set the bar for these characters exceptionally high, not sure TV can do them justice, but we'll see!

3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I highly doubt that’s going to happen, Marvel’s not that careless to blow the whole damn budget on the first episode. Besides, the first episode is likely going to be the black on white one. And those shots with Vision in full costume and makeup are likely in later episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Mandalorian seems to do just fine with maintaining movie level visuals (for the most part).

• Like Like x 3
  5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  6. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    That is classic 50’s sitcom.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I love the laugh track on it. I really wonder how it ends and who or what kicks her out of this dream world.

9. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Paleontologist Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Dude this is TRIIIIIIIIIPPY.

10. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Considering Wanda's power is to literally rewrite reality... I'm not entirely convinced that it's taking place in a dream so much as a reality bubble. Also, hoping that Vision returns to the real world after this and, since she's prego in a couple of scenes... we get Speed and Wiccan (which seems very likely given the Young Avengers seem to be being built up to). Very much looking forward to this.

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Rumor has it the villain is Nightmare who is manipulating her dreams so her powers affect reality.

12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Only one more week, then the dry spell is finally over!

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
  14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I am really looking forward to how weird this will be.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    WANDAVISION Promo Art Reveals A Noteworthy Change To The MCU's Version Of S.W.O.R.D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Instead of dealing with cosmic threats to Earth, it appears this S.W.O.R.D. will focus on sentient weapons, a.k.a. superpowered individuals like Wanda Maximoff.

There's nothing to say they won't attempt to protect the planet from future Thanos-level bad guys, but this alteration is clearly deliberate, and could completely change how S.W.O.R.D. is used (at least in this Marvel Universe).

• Like Like x 4
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    WANDAVISION: 10 Biggest Takeaways From The Global Press Conference For The Upcoming Marvel Studios Series

Director Matt Shakman speaks on the show's authenticity "We wanted to be as authentic as possible. That was one of the biggest goals and so production design, cinematography, costuming, everything was about going on this deep dive and with the actors we all wanted to do the same thing, so we watched just a ton of old television episodes, talked about how comedy changes over time, because it really does. The approach to comedy in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and so on, is really different. As Lizzie said earlier, doing it in front of a live studio audience, which is this weird quasi theater-TV, it all really adds to it. Lucille Ball, I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke. You can feel the energy of that sort of theatrical performance working with the audience. And then when you get into the 60s shows like Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie, it is a fourth wall, and all of a sudden it's much more like doing a movie these days, and that laugh track is all canned and brought in. It changes the energy, the approach, the style, everything. So, we also worked with a fabulous dialect coach to work on how the people would sound in that era, how they would move, we just did everything we could to make it as authentic as possible."

Kevin Feige said, "This was our test run. This was Marvel Studios - Marvel, of course, has had a lot of good, successful TV in the past - but this was Marvel Studios’ first foray, directly with, the cast and amazing characters that we'd seen in movies, coming onto television. The idea was, yes, to do something that could not be done as a feature film. Something that plays with the format and plays with the medium and there were a lot of meetings before people actually, sort of, understood what we were trying to go for, and we're only sitting here now because Jac and Matt did and were able to turn a whacky idea into a spectacular show."

Writer Jac Schaeffer expresses her love for their epic romance, "I think that Wanda and Vision are really as a couple a fan favorite because their love story has been so very tragic but also really kind of warm and intimate, and we've seen them have these really beautiful stolen moments in the MCU. It's actually been a small amount of screen time, but very powerful and very soulful, and what we have with WandaVision is really I think a treat for all is we're sort of opening up the stage and the space for them and they're in this domestic sphere. We get to see them doing dishes in the kitchen and being cute and, just all the sort of like homebody stuff that you would never get to see a superhero participate in. So, we really go from these enormous sorts of dramatic moments, and kind of heartbreaking moments in the MCU and then in WandaVision, it's a lot of cute-cute.... until it's not."

Once you get started, you'll begin to pick up on the show's many in-episode commercials, and you'd be wise to pay extra attention to these fleeting moments as they may be telling a bigger story. Kevin Feige teases, "Yes, there is [something going on]. We needed a way to show how the other truths of the show beginning to leak out and commercials was an early idea for that. If this is the very first MCU thing you're watching, it's just a strange version of a '50s or '60s commercial that you'll have to keep watching the series to understand, but if you have been watching all of the movies, you might be able to start connecting what those things mean and how they tie to the past."

Shakman recalled a lunch meeting with Dick Van Dyke himself during pre-production and revealed the amazing advice they received. "I remember Kevin and I had this amazing lunch with Dick Van Dyke, that remains one of the great afternoons of my life, and we asked him, what was the sort of governing principle behind the Dick Van Dyke Show? Why did it work so well? And he said if it couldn't happen in real life, it can't happen on the show. Right, so if you're drawing something that's grounded and it's real and it’s resonating with everyone's experience at home, you can do crazy things. You can tumble over ottomans. You can be goofy. You can be anything, but as long as it's grounded in real life, that makes it work. So, I think a lot of the reference points that we gravitated towards were those kinds of shows."

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    WANDAVISION: Here's What The Critics Are Saying About Marvel Studios' First Disney+ TV Series

The Playlist (never a fan of superhero content) gives WandaVision a C+, stating "'WandaVision' may ultimately be seen as a fascinating experiment, but right now—only three episodes to judge— it’s mostly just superheroes playing house within sitcom constraints and marginally amusing at best."

Vanity Fair was on the fence, and while their review was mostly positive, it wraps up with, "For all its invention, the ever so slightly gnawing tedium of WandaVision suggests that Marvel’s reach has not yet become so total that it can plug its characters into literally anything. Which may come as something of a relief for people weary of the brand’s hegemony. But, the show is a good enough that it ought to be a big hit."

Entertainment websites have embraced the Marvel Studios series, though, and io9 praises the show. "While there are shades and then some of classic comics plot lines present in WandaVision’s big picture and each weekly episode’s fine details," reads the review, "the series speaks in its own voice to tell a story love, delusion, power, and American pop culture." TV Line is also on board as they warn, "don’t let the show’s outside-the-box approach worry you: Yes, WandaVision is unlike anything Marvel has done before — but it turns out that’s a very good thing."

Total Film awards the show 4*, and says, "Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are both fantastic in WandaVision's first episode, which highlights just how weird these Marvel shows can be."

Digital Spy was similarly impressed in its 4* verdict. "The feel and tone of the show is a bold choice, but one that absolutely pays off," it reads. "With a seemingly endless list of Disney spin-offs and re-imaginings of existing franchises, WandaVision has set the bar sky-high, and shows that there can still be room for creative flair and original storytelling."

So on the whole, first impressions are of a new part of the MCU that should impress and entertain.

• Like Like x 3