Walmart WFC Kingdom Listings

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    exactly. By season two they did the same thing polygon did with siege. They used the toys

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They could make him out of non translucent plastic, but he definitely fared better than Silverbolt. Silverbolts toy was good, but I always wished the wings could fold onto his back, and then TM Rattrap had his backpack spin around on the show, which looks better with the big wheels at the shoulder. 2 of the bigger deviations from season 2

• Like Like x 6
  3. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Minibot is only a toy size class, It doesn't dictate their actual size. Minibots wasn't really a thing in the show and this is a show centric line about updating show characters, not one about updating older toys so there's no reason to force every "Minibot" into the short Deluxe size that Cliffjumper is when they all weren't that small.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Eh, I wouldn't rule her out yet or any G1 updates we haven't gotten. They just started this new style in Generations so I figure we'll be getting figures compatible with it going forward even after the WFC trilogy is over. Hell, she could still be one of the unknown deluxes in Kingdom. Personally, though I'm concerned about Tracks and Skids at the moment. With Jazz in SS '86, those two are the last of the Autobot cars we need to be announced to have a completely updated cast.

5. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    and I’ll also admit it’s been over 20 years since some characters got toys but I’m also stuck in the mind that “you can’t do better for some because you haven’t done better” examples like potp optimus primal and skybyte(though I do like both of them. I’m speaking for a lot criticism they have) but they have done better for some like T30 Rhinox rattrap and waspinator but I also see those toys and also ask “how do you do better?”

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Technically they didn't. Polygon literally imported Hasbro's CAD files for Siege, touching them up (barely) in areas like the hands and joints. Most of the modelling work was done for them. The Mainframe models were all unique, modeled from the ground up by Mainframe with noticeable and obvious inaccuracies to the toys. (no hollow spaces, hings, "toyetic" details, etc)

What Mainframe did was mimic the toy. See, as of season 2 of BW Hasbro and Mainframe collaborated more on the character designs so the toys would match the show and vice-versa. As well as this, the way the mainframe models worked in the show (and IFAIK every CGI Transformers show) is that every character has three models: robot, beast, and a pre-scripted transformation model that goes from one to the other. For season 1 there was the necessity for the two modes to be entirely different so both looked proportionate and appealing verses the toys which had obvious compromises in both modes, but starting with season 2 the models were so close they didn't need two entirely separate models. Geometry and parts were shared, appropriately, between modes such as limbs that did not change and body parts that would be visible. (such as Cheetor's biceps on his Transmetal body, even though the toy had those covered up) The robot and beast mode models were still separate, but they literally copy/pasted the parts between them, rearranging and re-rigging them. (think of it like the same principal as Kreo-O only for 3D modelling)

Quickstrike, due to his simplicity and size, was more than simple parts re-use however. They literally transformed the model (since every part of his body is visible in both modes) like the toy to get the beast mode, hence why his head is sometimes visible. Most of the time there's a big yellow piece that covers it up on the rear half of his scorpion body, but many times it's missing. It was actually very uncommon in BW despite the show's age and quite the nice little peak into the inner workings of these rudimentary yet extremely thought-out models.

And that's a brief history on the quirks of BW Quickstrike's CGI asset, a character so minor and incidental he didn't even get the three full models everyone else did. :lol 

• Like Like x 10
  7. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Awesome write up! Something new learnt today. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I realized just how burned out on pure G1 I was getting until the Kingdom info started rolling in. It's a breath of fresh air and I'm really excited.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Season one... Might even be the first mini.. the minibots are lined up with all the cars. They’re CLEARLY a lot shorter. The sizes vary a lot in season two, and in season 3, Warpath and Powerglide are about the same size as the 1986 Minibots. Season two is where people get confused because their size changes depending on who they’re standing next to..

• Like Like x 5
  10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is gonna sound weird, but examining old CGI is a hobby of mine. I think it stems from me playing video games and always wanting to see the tricks to their inner workings and out of bounds areas where the viewer isn't meant to see, but there's a charm and mystery to old CGI that is somewhat lost today as the medium is very standardized. There's really just one "way" to do it today, even though it produces a very superior product.

Like for example the BW character's faces. You'll notice few have normal mouths. Only Megatron, Airazor, and Primal have normal mouths out of the first season. Everyone else has fully separate bottom jaws, usually covered by armour that reaches the corners or in cases like Rattrap are merely completely inhuman by design. This is because modelling and animating a typical mouth with proper corners to it was and still kind of is hard as hell. Human mouths (and by extension human-like robot mouths) move in a very particular way that's hard for us to get right but easy to tell when it's wrong. So with the select exceptions I mentioned everyone gets a 'nutcracker' mouth. It's way easier and cleaner to animate lips as the edge of a model rather than a "hole" in a surface, and so by making the faces more robotic than the original toys implied. Cheetor features a standard face on his toy which logically would translate to a typical G1-style face with a normal mouth and eyes, yet in the show it's much more abstract with his eyes being large "empty" spaces with his brow and cheeks move around to produce emotion, and his mouth is the aforementioned puppet mouth. It's a credit to Mainframe's artists at the time that these faces were assembled in a way that produced nuanced, readable emotion without looking distractingly inhuman or unnatural. Our subconscious is incredibly critical of human faces, but make those faces less human and more robotic and we become much more "forgiving." It's why Bob from early Reboot looks weird as hell but Megabyte seems a lot more "acceptable."

Beast Wars is chock full of early CGI "Macgyvering" to make the most within the limits of the medium whilst using it to achieve certain effects cel animation could not. (without an astronomical budget and years of production) It also makes the animation errors you do see hilarious as you can actually trace back what exactly produced them. (an improper texture setting, incorrect rigging of a certain body part, etc)

This has nothing to do with Kingdom though so I'll stop. :D  But the jist of it is shitty old CGI fascinates me in ways the most realistic modern examples could never.

• Like Like x 9
  11. carnerd3000

carnerd3000 "This is bad comedy."

Yeah, I kind of agree with this. The main reason why I like the Classics versions of the Datsuns so much is because they were Nissan 350Z's, and I thought that was freakin' awesome. There's no question that I am very happy with ER as a whole, but for example if I had it my way, I would make Grapple and Inferno look like some type of modern-day Fuso truck. The main reason I want the new figures of Grapple and Inferno, and not the Classics/RTS versions, is because I thought that mold looked too much like a fire truck, and not enough like a crane for Grapple. Still thought they were cool-looking toys, but I got picky about it, lol.

This man should be protected at all costs, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jtprime17

Jtprime17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here’s a sneak peak of what Else I’ve found more coming later when I’m less busy.

A78D8416-6E7B-4D5B-876D-934A1F06113C.jpeg

• Like Like x 25
  13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Guess it's a safe bet that we'll see Pipes as an exclusive then.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's even better than a Core class remold! Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well *bleep* me sideways....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FINALLY!! After all these years!!! :eek: 

• Like Like x 2
  17. carnerd3000

carnerd3000 "This is bad comedy."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    Fuck Huffer.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trooper028

Trooper028 Well-Known Member

Do you think Takara might make their own BW Inferno, Terrorsasur, and Tarantulas if Hasbro doesn't?

• Like Like x 1
  20. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Niiiice

• Like Like x 2