Walmart Star Raider Capsule.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Legacy Arcee isn't anywhere close to being on the same level as this Lockdown. Yeah she's not a perfect figure, but I definitely agree people that endlessly complain about her are being way too obsessed with very specific details. Lockdown is more like if Legacy Prime Arcee had been made as a repaint of Legacy Prowl instead, except even that wouldn't be as bad because she'd at least have more of her traditional characteristics (wheels inside the lower legs, back 'wing' kibble, even the chest being formed by the front fairing/windshield like on her First Edition toy) and it's at least a better-looking mold in both modes. The main problem there would just be that she'd have the wrong physique in robot mode, and if that was the only problem with this Lockdown, I'm sure I'd still have been reasonably happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KibblerGrrrl

KibblerGrrrl Cassette & fembot advocate; Shadow Striker zealot

I think this Lockdown probably isn't what any of us were really hoping for, but it's not hopeless if the designers have hinted an Animated version of Lockdown is still possible. What still boggles me is...

They obviously planned Axelgrease from the start to be a rehead & redeco for a Lockdown. Knowing that, why didn't they plan on them both having a socketed forearm for the hook from the get go? Maybe reduce the size of the giant exhaustpipe pieces, or omit them entirely, during the retooling if it was a too-much-plastic or over-parts-count thing? They did it for the Skids retool so Cannonball would have a socket arm, so why not Lockdown too? Then Lockdown and fellow Star Raider Cannonball could borrow each others accessories, or he could maybe steal a B.A.T.'s forearm weapons.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Cannonball mold could get retooled again into an Animated-inspired version of Soundwave, and/or a Animated Blaster + Alternators Broadblast amalgam? Apologies in advance if I somehow accidently manifested this into existence.

Edit: Clarified pre-caffeination grammar.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Fair points, however this Lockdown has plenty of "traditional characteristics" of Animated and ROTF Lockdown. The vehicle mode is clearly Lockdown inspired, he can mount the engine on his forearm as the EMP generator, has the hook (granted its not actually integrated into his arm), his colors are spot on and he's got a reproduction of the ROTF Lockdown head. To say he looks nothing like Lockdown (an argument I've seen people make) is disingenuous at best.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Ragnarok Flames

Ragnarok Flames NYEHHH!!

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    A lot of y'all need to stop positioning your OPINION as the objective truth.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Hi.

News Credits:
    It's interesting to see how a guy that got a lot of details wrong technically (Cannonball with a squashed alt mode, fake doors, Vok skull instead of the Funky Skeleton, the chest and so on) got a more positive reception over Lockdown, a retool that has many details that try to evoke him.
    I guess it's probably due to the first being such a hefty retool of a retool instead of just being Crankcase/Medix with a different head. Makes me wonder how would have been if they found a way to make Lockdown taller, given him a more G1-ish head (Think of IDW Lockdown with his handsome face and head spikes) and regular car bits to replace those messy junkionish ones from the doors, roof and windows. Maybe a different hook holder that hides the hand better and lower arms too.

I guess they did really knew they had a potential second shot at Lockdown, while with guys like Cannonball and Filch they had to give it their all. It could have been as easy to just repaint Crankcase in Cannonball colors or Airazor in Filch colors but they didn't. Same can be applied to Ferak, who I feel didn't need any new parts yet here we are.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Scornstream

Scornstream Dinobot Seeker

I just think it was the wrong mold to use. If they were gonna bother putting in all that effort/budget retooling things, instead of trying to make this bad mold choice better, they could have simply retooled a better mold; such as Chase.

Chase already has a similar alt mode to Lockdown in the form of a muscle car with exposed exhausts, it'd just need the few spiky bits (Lockdown was never as tryhard as Axelgrease is and most of his alt mode was smooth) added on and the lightbar removed. It also already has some slots on the hood/bonnet where a supercharger intake could be attached. And then the robot mode is very similar to the Cyberverse version of the Earth Wars Lockdown design and features a much better-integrated hook that can be made out of the claw accessory. Oh and Chase is taller than the diminutive Axelgrease, which seems to be a big point of contention for some people.

Also as a side-note, there's another problem with this Lockdown that a lot of people seem to be overlooking. Lockdown has repaint/retool characters of his own that if we were to get are also going to suffer from all the same problems as Lockdown himself. Such as Axer (who really should have been in this line instead of Lockdown) & Circuit.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ragnarok Flames

Ragnarok Flames NYEHHH!!

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it's fine. And by the logic of this board that means it is.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I will say I'm happy this is the ala carte capsule so I can get the ones I want without having to load up on the ones I find mid

• Like Like x 5
  9. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Hi.

News Credits:
    Well, I was one of those who was rooting for Chase to be retooled into a CHUG Lockdown ever since that became a viable possibility for the exact same reasons you mention. Ever since they showed the long waited "Muscle Car" Junkion to just be a retool of Scraphook I was inmediately dissapointed by the fact it was clearly going to be turned into Lockdown, mainly due to how small that mold is.

Funny you mention Axer, because that's a guy I'd wish to have seen in this capsule and wouldn't have minded a retool out of Axlegrease at all, like this cool custom.
    1706082187391440.jpg
    Plus with the G1 Head that could have been easily repainted into a regular junkion color version of the mold, just sayin.

• Like Like x 24
  10. johnny48

johnny48 Shockwave’s biggest simp

I may be in the minority, but a Deluxe Sized Lockdown is exactly what my collection needed. He is perfect for me.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Optimus1138

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    exactly, this is what really gets me. If Axelgrease was planned to be used for Lockdown from the beginning, and if Axelgrease is an original character who could've looked however the hell they wanted her to, why didn't they make her an actual pretool for Lockdown? Even if they were limited by needing to make her from Scraphook due to budgetary reasons, there's so much they could've done with the parts they did change to make her look way more like Lockdown than she actually does.
    Like I said, he does have some of Lockdown's traditional characteristics, he's just missing some of the most important ones like his height, lanky build, and ACTUAL, GOOD muscle car alt mode, and the ones he does have (the hook and engine) are so halfassed they only count on a technicality.
    Definitely, if they could've pulled that off I think >90% of us would've been happy. I'm skeptical that all that would've been possible using the Axelgrease mold as a base but it certainly would've been using Chase.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    So the head and colors being directly referential to his previous figures is half assed and don't count? Got it. I have to assume that's the case since you're not even mentioning those 2. I get it, not every release is going to please everyone, but that doesn't mean it's a bad release. There's also at least 1 version of Lockdown in media that isn't tall and lanky, the Cyberverse version, who is average height at best, meaning that Lockdown being tall isn't a trait shared by every version of the character, even before this figure was revealed.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Foster

News Credits:
    Trying to be all things to all people satisfies no one.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Denzimus

Denzimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, I been hoping for a new Axor toy for the longest. Honestly, it should've been this instead of Lockdown.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Optimus1138

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't mention those because a head and color scheme alone do not a good figure make. We'd have been satisfied with that back in the Botcon days, but our standards have been raised considerably since then and we shouldn't accept a return to lower standards just because the executives want to cut budgets so they can hoard away more for themselves.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Foster

News Credits:
    I think I have two of those old things left that haven't been blown away by something newer

17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    "Our"? "We"? I didn't realize you spoke for everyone. Maybe some people are sufficiently happy with something existing for the character rather than nothing, and nobody has any right to tell those individuals to feel otherwise. Hell, I remember when new character repaints didn't even get new heads, at the very least this Lockdown is better than what we would have gotten back then. It was obvious from the reveal of Axlegrease that it's intended partial would be Lockdown, anyone thinking otherwise (or that it would be more than a head and deco swap) were not paying attention to Hasbro's typical M.O. and it's not Hasbro's fault (or the fault of anyone satisfied with this figure) that those individuals set unreasonable expectations for something that is in a capsule collection.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Scornstream

Scornstream Dinobot Seeker

It's always funny to me when people talk about "oh but back in the old days we would have been lucky to even get a new head!", particularly in relation to this figure, since this figure's head is based directly on a figure from "back in the old days" that was a completely brand new mold from top to bottom. The BotCon repaints were just that, cheap convention exclusives that a premium could be charged for without investing much into production. They weren't the norm, they were the outlier. I'm pretty sure we got more unique molds "back in the day" than we do now, mostly thanks to Bayverse revenue.

19. Papa Zoinks

Papa Zoinks you're mother

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    im honestly not too fussed with how they used the preexisting mold for lockdown and how short he is as it wouldnt be hard for an upgrade kit to come out to extend the legs at the knee joint where it disconnects not looking too out of place and also be fully transformable as its just the front of the car and if they make it flow into the rest of the vehicle i dont see how it cant work id def buy something along those lines

• Like Like x 1
  20. ProfessionalIcee

ProfessionalIcee I have a fear of places so I want to change shape.

As if.

• Like Like x 1