Waflhaus91's CHUG Addiction

Discussion in 'Transformers Collection Showcase' started by waflhaus91, Dec 12, 2018.

1. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Got to work at moving all the shelves to the new room today.
    20191130_143826_edited.jpg 20191130_143842_edited.jpg
    It was a bit of a challenge finding a way to line them up but I think I found a setup I can enjoy for a while.
    20191130_143907_edited.jpg
    Had to rewire the lights but that didn't turn out to be too bad.
    20191130_150405_edited.jpg
    Big boys go on first.
    20191130_152448_edited.jpg
    20191130_165827_edited.jpg
    New PC set up.
    20191130_202444_edited.jpg
    I'm not hanging up anything on these walls because we just patched and painted them, so no more nail holes. Since I had a few wall mounted shelves in the other room for my Funko's, I had to include them in my main display now. I think it worked out alright.
    20191130_202456_edited.jpg
    And since it's getting close to Christmas, I decided to make my display a little festive.
    20191130_202512_edited.jpg

Now that all this has been taken care of, my display will probably stay this way until I sell my house. The individual shelves might get reorganized as new figures are acquired but the bookcases themselves will be staying where they are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

I love your collection and will be following your progress :)  Where did you get your Maketoys Thunder Manus? Is it a KO?

• Like Like x 1
  3. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's official. I was lucky enough to snag it from TFSource about a week before Divine Shooter was released.

• Like Like x 1
  4. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    20191127_094628.jpg 20191201_214150_edited.jpg 20191127_171428.jpg
    Some recent additions. Just waiting on Merak to hit my POL and I'll have another big shipment coming in (mostly Siege). Once that gets here, I'll just need the fan vote 3 pack and Astrotrain and I'll be finished with Siege!

Also.....
    20191202_195552.jpg
    It's Christmas time in the waflhaus-hold! My cat loves laying under the tree for some reason, lol. Guess she considers herself a gift to me.
    20191202_214740.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Had another POL get delivered today. Should wrap up my 2019 TF purchases. I still need Astrotrain as well as the fan vote 3 pack to complete my Siege want-list, but I still have Christmas shopping to do so I will most likely wait until the new year to get them.
    20191211_122121_edited.jpg
    Merak was the one figure I was waiting on to ship this POL.
    20191211_164421_edited.jpg

20191211_165212_edited.jpg
    20191211_172936_edited.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. Transider

Transider - caught in an organized chaos -

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Nice collection!

• Like Like x 2
  7. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think enough time has passed now that I can talk about this.

So if anyone has noticed a decline in activity from me on the boards (I honestly doubt it), there's a reason for it. A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a mental breakdown. It was most likely just burnout from the holiday's, but I had this sudden urge to give up collecting for good and sell off my entire collection.

Last year my collecting habits caused me quite a few financial problems. Back in September my girlfriend and I sat down to make out a budget designed to build up my savings. This budget is strict but was designed based off the absolute lowest paycheck I receive each month, which means there's always a little "unaccounted for" money that I can use for whatever I want. So that money was to be my Transformers money.

But one night I just suddenly felt like my collecting was nothing but a waste of money and that she would eventually resent me for it. We had a talk the next morning and she told me there was no way she was letting me get rid of everything I worked hard to acquire and that she was happy that collecting made me happy. So what we decided was that I would stay away from the boards for a while. Wouldn't want to see the rest of y'all getting new Earthrise figures cause that would definitely make me wanna start buying them without thinking about my budget. So I stayed away from the boards entirely for about a week. Then I slowly started lurking some, only checking a couple threads. Until I eventually started posting again, but I still haven't been as active with my picture posting.

Mentally I'm better. I don't feel a sense of dread about collecting anymore. I also feel like until Earthrise figures start showing up everywhere that I don't really need to stay away from the boards. Now maybe in a month or two I might have to leave for a bit but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm going to be trying to work on my patience more this year as well. I learned the hard way this year that a lot of figures go on discount a few months after they release so I'm gonna try and NOT buy all my figures as soon as they land in stores.

Like I said I doubt my absence was even noticed but I just felt like I needed to talk about it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

I did notice your absence and was a bit worried that you where having a collector's rut, and I think a lot of collectors have been in your shoes. Spending a lot of money on what other people may think is a waste can get to you. When I feel this way I try to revitalize my love for what I have. I try to appreciate each figure I own and make sure it sparks joy. Half a year ago I stopped buying Transformers because I just lost the appreciation for them, but when I saw your collection there was some inspiration that got me back into it. This hobby is very financially straining so I try to only buy figures that will make me feel a certain way, and that way I used to feel has dwindled over time. Watching content creators like Bobbyskullface has given me an outlet of relatability as a collector and has helped me sort out my thoughts and outlook when it comes to collecting. I don't know anything about your financial situation or what you look for in collecting but this is these are things I have been thinking about for the past year. Since you seem to have most of what you want from previous CHUG lines you could probably plan ahead your Earthrise purchases and have an occasional third party purchase, but you could also watch reviews and forums about each figure in the line and ask yourself what you want and if you need every new release.

• Like Like x 3
  9. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Love me some Skully. Don't even collect the shit he reviews but I still watch cause he's entertaining.

After I had a few days to cool down, I realized I didn't wanna stop collecting. It had just been a rough couple of days and I had a little panic attack about it. My girlfriend kept reminding me that it was ok to wait and buy figures a few months after they come out. And except for in the case of exclusives, she's right. So that's how I'm going to approach collecting from now on. I mostly skip 3rd party because I collect only CHUG scale and 3rd party has basically abandoned that. And I'm not going to be as willing to buy figures for characters I'm unfamiliar with. So I may pass on Ironworks and Micromasters all together. I'm also not double-dipping on characters. So unless the ER Arcee and Megs we're apparently getting are somehow even better G1 representations of those characters than the T30 and Siege versions respectively, I'm passing on them.

It actually gives me a more positive outlook for collecting. It's more budget friendly, and I feel like I'm actually in control of it, rather than just buying whatever Hasbro throws at me.

I've got a lot on my plate right now. I'm trying to get my diet in check and get back into my active lifestyle (gotta lose the 50 pounds I put on since my divorce). Gotta spend time with the girlfriend of course, and together we're still putting in work on the house to get it sold. I've also gotta a pretty long backlog of video games to play and books to read (a little counter intuitive to the getting active thing, I know). But, I plan on trying to find some time between all those things to get back to some regular picture posting.

• Like Like x 4
  10. TUVCK

TUVCK Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to get caught up in hype surrounding a release and then realize I didn't even want the figure or line. I'm glad your collecting outlook is positive and I'm looking forward to pictures and updates when you get the time

Also good on you for dieting and exercising, you got this! :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    Same here!

• Like Like x 1
  12. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just a simple update shot.
    20200122_172534_edited.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Curt76

Curt76 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Like that setup, looks good.

• Like Like x 2
  14. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    20200127_124223.jpg 20200127_123528.jpg 20200127_123431.jpg 20200127_121500.jpg 20200127_121349.jpg 20200127_083225.jpg 20200127_082716.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mr.GamBit

Mr.GamBit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've been following your thread for inspiration on purchase selection and display options and it sparks me joy that you're still going strong(er). Kudos to you for talking to your girlfriend about your collecting doubts, that takes courage! As other collectors have been telling you (among them skull face); ruts happen! I've been in the same bout multiple times. I'm easily addicted to collecting things, from video games to comic books to vinyl records to action figures. And I have this weird sense of loyalty when it comes to my interests.

It helps me a ton when I consider it all to be finite. One day I enjoy it for what it is and when I can honestly tell myself I'm done with the object in question: I find a better home for it! That's what I did with all my Marvel Legends. But I dwelled on it a for a while and discussed it with my friends because I didn't want dread to be the reason for my exit. Eventually I went full circle because some of the first toys I had when I was little were Transformers.

Getting a focus is key. For me it's cool molds and designs that bring a smile to my face. It's also a surefire way to keep collecting because every line has it's winners, haha! But the best part is being surprised. I never heard of Misfire before and the TR figure is easily one of my absolute favorites!

Sounds to me like you're coming to terms with the ups and downs of collecting. Which can only bring more enjoyment to the whole aspect of collecting!

What I've been meaning to ask you though; what did you do to Volcanicus to make him look so good?! I sold mine a long time ago but have some small regrets because those G1 dinobot colors are so damn yummy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    TCW-06 Upgrade Set

It's a bit finicky, and all the extra pieces don't really make any convincing weapons for the individual bots, but the way it looks combined makes it worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Hey! I'm getting rid of a couple pieces of my collection! Check the sales thread in my sig if you're interested in any of them!
    20200131_135407.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's gonna be a week or two before I can get back to taking any collection pictures.
    IMG_20200202_134115907.jpg
    What was meant to be a simple bathroom reflooring project has turned into an entire bathroom remodel that is going to be taking up all of my time this week, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. waflhaus91

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've been taking advantage of breaks at work to work on properly cataloging my collection. It's still a WIP and the listed values for most of the figures are wild estimates but it's a start.

Waflhaus91's CHUG Collection Catalog

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sky79

Sky79 Well-Known Member

You're going to need a new shelf for Has-Lab Unicron