Minor/Repaint: voyager COSMOS

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by icanfly, Feb 18, 2016.

1. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi,

This is my take on Cosmos, made from crossovers War Machine with a SteamShield Shapeways head. Not quite sold on the final product so happy with any input for improvement.

Cheers

JL

Attached Files:

2. MCutter

MCutter Pronounced WITH-thuh UMP-tee.

News Credits:
    I quite like this use of that mold for Cosmos. He looks like he could be IDW Nautica's cousin, too.

3. The Kup

The Kup Heavy Metal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    It was if Cosmos was meant for this mold!

4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Not bad, looks pretty solid.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

The paint application could use improvement but still manages to look pretty nice, the head works and the idea is sound. The real flaw here is that honestly awful putty work, looks like chewing gum or silly putty quickly jammed in place, im not sure how you looked at that and decided "yeah, this is good. Lets move on to paint". I see what you were aiming for, but it looks worse for the effort. I would suggest reworking those parts, sand and smoothing everything out and really put more time into trying to get the smooth round shape you seemed to be going for. Fix that and i think you will feel a lot better about what you made here. Good luck.

6. icanfly

Ebay:
    So I gather you're not a fan of my amateur putty skills? The flash does exaggerate the imperfections but with limited tools I did it all by hand, and its main job was to act as a glue, and rounded to try to hide its presence a bit. So thank you for your input, but "honestly awful" does hurt a bit

7. SteamShield

SteamShield Well-Known Member

I really like the concept. Didn't know which body you meant to use this head for until now - and that turned out well!

8. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    Don't let the one post discourage you! Good work!

9. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

Not meant as a discouragement or to be hurtful, trying to provide some criticism to help you improve.
    Its nice to simply complement everything, but its not very helpful commentary if the aim is improvement.

edit: yeah, rereading it, it was a little harsher then i meant to be.

10. icanfly

Ebay:
    Cheers mate all good. Do you have much experience with putty? I struggle to get it uniform in shape and usually just use it as a glue or to fill holes or minor tweaks to heads.

11. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    Looking at this piece, specifically the wings, a better approach with a putty in this case would have been to roll a uniform tube, not too thick and run it along the inside of the wing then attach to the side. Use your finger and dip it in some water to smooth, this limits the amount of clay you have to work with while providing a complete connection point.

Oh crap...the important part...before all that, prep by creating stands or using some random crap to prop the wing to sit flush while the putty dries. You may need to do one part at a time, and this maybe more time consuming, but you will have a better result.

There are more advanced stuff using a Dremel to make a grove for your part to fit in, then using putty for binding. This will further lessen your "slag" leftovers and might be even more useful for this piece specifically.

To finish, sanding or even using Styrene right over top of the putty to design as you see fit. You can also use more random crap from other bots to fill in. Just think of it this way, bonding should not be seen, but if it has to, work with it when it is pliable...or you are screwed.

And you are correct, different lighting will show all of your imperfections, so it is useful to do that in the smoothing stage, change brighten and lessen the light around you.

12. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks cool! It makes for a very striking alt mode. I like the robot look too.

13. seanb47

seanb47 FB: SBee's Custom Creations/ IG @Sbee_75

Ebay:
    I like the idea and can see you have a clear vision in mind that you were working off of that is solid. I do feel,as already mentioned, seeing the putty like this does seem like it was rushed just to finish. You will need to invest in to some tools at some point if you want to make a honest go of this hobby. Everything mentioned above is solid advice. I don't know what putty you used but a lot of the customizers use "Aves Epoxy" or "Greenstuff" or "Milliput" as the epoxy fillers. Sometimes it maybe better to use styrene or left over fodder pieces from other bots.

Also with your paint,it may be more helpful to take apart your figures at times to be able to gain better access to certain areas to fully cover them in the paint process. 1/16th pin punch works best to knock out pins. A soldering iron will aid you in heating up one way pins to pry out. I recommend using a "basecoat" or primer to lay down first then your main colors. Then hand paint your details from there.

I hope you find this helpful.

14. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Nice work; I really like the idea behind this custom!
    I'm also really glad to read so much constructive and effective criticism; that's how we all can learn from each other and make the best customs we can! :) 

15. CaptainX1

CaptainX1 Well-Known Member

sand down the puttied parts. it'll look 500% better

16. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    You may want to use a two part epoxy instead of putty if you're going for a bonding agent. You get about 5 minutes of working time but you get a fairly solid bond quick then can mix up a little cat a time to use as filler. Leaves it sandable, and you can bui!LD up as you go.

17. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the robot mode needs a bit more paint. Not really your fault, more the fault of the original toy, but the robot mode looks really blocky and kind of looks like a man in a suit. I think some more paint would help it look a little more dynamic, esp in the chest area where the green chest really looks tacked on to the yellow part.

Its a good proof of concept though, and its nice to see a larger cosmos.

18. icanfly

Ebay:
    I agree but can't decide what needs changing