Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It will be quite some time. They've already confirmed that the line won't start till "spring 2017". I'm guessing it wasn't till late last year that they got the licensing rights finalized.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh. Another time when the hype for the show will be cooling before the toys come out.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Especially since, as a Netflix series, the first season is technically finished the day it's released, so it'll be almost a full year after before these hit stauration.

4. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When did they say this? But I would definitely not be surprised.

Well, if the show is successful, it will be just before the next season! Hopefully, at least.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's mentioned in the announcement that Playmate's would be making the line, and apparently have a master license like they do for TMNT (or did, I'm not sure if they still do).

6. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Which is a bad sign the toys wont ever make it out. The reasons for a late release might be different but in the end its the same as what happened with the voltron force toys that never made it out. Mattel wanted to focus on the big expensive classic voltron while putting the voltron force toys on the back burner making the expected release about a year after the cartoon released. In the end by that time the cartoon was canceled as well as the toys. I really hope the new toys do make it out, I'm just not counting on it.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Seriously? That feels like a bad move to be honest because by then the hype for the series will cool down thus hurting the toy sales a lot. It'd be one thing if it was around Fall this year which I would honestly prefer because at least it won't be that long but early 2017 sounds too much like shooting themselves in the foot.

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Actually...it might not be a bad idea to wait until Spring. There's no guarantee that Voltron will be a hit...so retailers might be gunshy on it right now. But if a second season gets picked up, retailers will have more confidence in a tie-in product. It's a backwards way of marketing...but I can see it working on a low-risk approach.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's still quite risky for Playmate's though. They're currently developing a line that's banking on this show being a hit and getting a second season. They could very well be designing toys that won't ever make them a profit on what I'm sure was not a cheap licensing deal.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    Just like Mattel's Voltron Force line.

11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Are they just completely unaware of how that turned out, or what?

12. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm more worried about how the actual figure will turn out than whether it'll be released at all.

i feel there's more of a chance that it's going to be a major letdown than it not being released at all.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    There's also a chance Playmates wants to ride the Power Ranger train. Release around the same time as the movie and hope parents don't know the difference between a Megazord and GoLion.

14. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe.. But I doubt it. I think if a kid wants it, it'll be because it looks cool. (Hopefully lol)

I wonder if they'll show anything at SDCC. I wish there was a figuarts equivelant to these types of combining robots, voltron, megazords (that also functional). I'd be much more excited if that were the case. But who knows, maybe playmates will surprise me. I doubt it though. I wonder if they'll pull their usual BS and show official prototype shots of it nicely painted and not translate that to the production run.

15. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm sure we'll see them at the SDCC this year though hopefully unlike Voltron Force they'll make good on their promise on actually releasing them. Voltron Legendary Defender is looking to be the one Voltron show that'll finally help bring the franchise around and I don't want to see it's potential get both squandered and canned. Sure the series is on Netflix which that itself makes it not be at risk as being canned then if it would on any other channel but still.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't. I can't speak for anything else they produce, but it's become a regular and addmited practice with their TMNT figures.

As for when we'll see the line for the first time... I'm guessing NYCC, tbh. Though I could even see them waiting till Toy Fair next year to showcase them for the first time. Though I hope I'm wrong, and that we get to see at least their attempt at Voltron itself at SDCC.

17. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Anyone know how the quality on the Lion Bot is? I might try to get it eventually

18. cyberpredicus

bump

19. azdragon58

azdragon58 Well-Known Member

20. cyberpredicus

sweet thanks for the info. Now to just save up some money.