Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I swear there was some mention of a new Albegas by somebody last year...seems like.

And I'm glad the big toy Voltron from Playmates exists...but simultaneously glad it's not the ONLY one that exists, lol. We certainly went from famine to overload the past few years on the LV front. But yeah...most companies do seem to forget that other Voltrons do exist. I wish the localization of the Albegas cartoon had actually happened.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Same here, plus it’s not terribly expensive for what you get. Already going in, most knew not to expect much from Playmates and I think their Voltron toys turned out better than expected.

Now had Bandai of America gotten a license and utilized PLEX from Bandai Japan like they did for some Legacy Collection zords, I have no doubt their Voltron would’ve been awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  3. fschuler

News Credits:
    I agree that it is better than I'd expect from a Playmates Voltron. I wish they could have done a smaller 8" diecast version of the '84 like they did for the LD. That one isn't perfect either, but it is a solid little figure.

• Like Like x 3
  4. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would love to get a Diarugger XV in the same style/construction as the Playmates Voltrons. They're big, chunky TOYS. They're meant to be played with, taken apart, posed, put together. So many of the other non-GoLion Voltrons are either too fragile or too expensive to just play with. Vehicle Voltron just begs to be played with, put into different configurations. I wouldn't feel comfortable just casually messing around with any of the Vehicle Voltron options out now.

• Like Like x 7
  5. fschuler

News Credits:
    I wish I could say I feel confident somebody will make one of those in that scale someday. The closest we are likely to get is probably the little Action Toys mini-action figure making the rounds right now.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Creedog

Creedog Super Magic Seven Medicom Square Fan

yep, the mini is pretty fun to play with! It’s definitely a toy. That being said, some of the connectors are very tight, and there’s lots of parts forming going on, very little transformation. But still, it a breeze to take them apart and form the teams. They’re great!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle Heroic Captain of Cowabunga

News Credits:
    You have no idea how badly I want an Albegas or Gladiator Voltron to happen. (I’d also accept a durable Vehicle Voltron in the style of the Playmates 40th anniversary Lion Voltron [lots of ratchets, basically] if that never gets made.)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    The sound/voice electronics are the primary reason I own and love it. It's not the best Voltron out there, but it is pretty solid considering the size. More importantly it's built to be taken apart and put back together while giving you all the voice clips from the show of "let's form Voltron!" Then there's all the other voice and sound clips from the show that vary depending on if Voltron is fully formed or not. I can see it being sufficient for casual collectors too cuz it does have some nice shelf presence even though the posing is limited if you don't want to break up the shoulder sculpt.

Personally, it's my secondary Voltron, and I enjoy it in a different way than I do the SoC I have as my main. It's essentially an interactive 'member berry and one of the better uses for electronic sounds I've seen in a mass produced toy. The Pixel Dan video you posted really emphasizes how nicely implemented the sound electronics are towards the end, and I think his video was the final push for an impulse buy for me which I did not regret back then. If they ever fixed the shoulders on it, I'd buy it again. Not surprised in the least they're re-releasing it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. fschuler

News Credits:
    The sound activation gimmick surprised me. I knew it had lights and sounds, but the added functionality of getting the specific combination-activated stuff is next-level. In that sense, I think Playmates went above and beyond. I don't know if the sounds are actually sampled from the show, but they do sound authentic. I'm a fan of gimmicks, myself. And that is a pretty fun one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Has that ever been confirmed one way or the other? I always assumed they were from the original english dub because they sound *very* authentic. I'm hearing what I remember at least. I never thought they weren't until I saw some reviewers mention they weren't sure. Anyway, still fuels the 'member berry regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fschuler

News Credits:
    I always assumed they were authentic as well...didn't doubt it until someone online suggested they might not be, lol. I still think they're authentic!

12. Reichstein

Reichstein Well-Known Member

For any folks wondering how the new ActionToys Mini Action Vehicle Voltron scales with the Super MiniPLA Lion Voltron, here are a couple of pics.

20240403_131912 (Large).jpg

20240403_131856 (Large).jpg

• Like Like x 10
  13. kurdt_the_goat

kurdt_the_goat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MiniAction Vehicle Voltron mini review: it’s good :)  Crisp sculpt and paint, great poseability. Was a little concerned about the thigh to waist connection at first - was slipping out even tho it seemed all the way in. But it wasn’t and it’s pretty secure now. The shoulders too can be a little fiddly to pose without detaching, but at this size its forgiveable. Apart from being much lighter, it fits in with my old Super Robot Chogokin very nicely. A bit pricy but eh, it’s not like there’s many Voltrons to make. Definitely need Lion and Legendary Defender by these guys!

IMG_1666.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  14. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

Happy 40th anniversary Voltron!
    Blitzway pictured because it's the best Voltron.

20240406_123243.jpg 20240406_121246.jpg 20240406_121225.jpg 20240406_121213.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 16
  15. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

• Like Like x 1
  16. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  17. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Saw the classic Black Lion that was a retool of the Legendary Defender Black Lion at Target a few days ago. Is that set getting rereleased?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs A booby trap that catches boobies…

It’s not a retool, it’s a completely different mold from LD. But yes the classic Voltron is getting a rerelease.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    So similar to CW Silverbolt and POTP Hun-Grr then? That's pretty cool, didn't realize it was just a case of shared engineering (or is it really just entirely different?). Was always curious about grabbing that set, had the Legendary Defender one and thought it was pretty good. Was surprised to see it back on shelves. Kinda sad that Legendary Defender didn't get a follow up with the vehicle Voltron that was teased in the last episode.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs A booby trap that catches boobies…

Well they’re both Voltron so to speak and they both combine to form Voltron so if you want to call that “shared engineering” that’s up to you. They do utilize the same peg system, so you could mix and match between sets. I have both sets and in my opinion the classic is better. Only issue is the Black lions shoulders rotate in Combined form, rather than the socket rotating. Still looks good on the shelf.

• Like Like x 3