Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Totally agree. I'll have to check out the Toynami sometime if I get a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  2. foxracing

foxracing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not exactly Voltron but it's a vinyl toy of the same colour way.

IMG_20200306_203316.jpg IMG_20200306_204015.jpg IMG_20200306_204601.jpg

Random centaur mode.
    IMG_20200306_210105.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was in Gamestop today. Found a complete set of Playmates' Classic Voltron. 1 of each lion. While I can see the 4 limb lions in a case, there was also a Black Lion that would be in its own case.

• Like Like x 4
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the second sighting I've heard of at a Gamestop. Wow. I wonder why they're getting them, now.
    I'd be willing to put up with Gamestop getting an exclusive Playmates vehicle Voltron if they could get the license.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I've seen a bunch of the Playmates in Gamestop and ThinkGeek this week. I'm not sure if they found a ton in the warehouse or Playmates re-issued the Classic Voltron. But either way Gamestop seems to be stocking them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

They form:

Lion Saber
    The Lion Saber is thrown like a javelin to disable Voltron's opponent.( From Voltron Wiki)

8. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

On the show, it was called the "electro-saber." It was not often used in a battle, but when it was, it never failed to get my attention. I thought it was WAY cool...

The two handles popped up from the tops of his shoulders, or from his back, I guess. He would grab them in his lion-jaw hands, and jam them together in front, like in the pic below. The blades would then flair out of the sides and materialize.

The best thing about the SOC is the amazing arsenal of screen-accurate weapons, both for Voltron, and for the individual lions. . . If I had known when I was twelve that I would one day have a Voltron with a screen-accurate Elecro-saber I probably would have passed out.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 12.52.05 pm.png

• Like Like x 6
  9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I wish some third party could give us a face sculpt a little more like the one on the right. The original sculpt (left) is way to stylized IMHO.

facesculpt_voltron.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    GameStop was taking preorders for them last Fall IIRC, I think the lions are reissues.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That recent Netflix Voltron is still nice. He's massive for the price.

classic Voltron (5).JPG

• Like Like x 14
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That's not the Netflix version, though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chaos Muffin

Yeah i should’ve posted the one that’s actually in the show.
    Same scale & packaging though.

Will get more pics up when I can find my old flash drive. Actually like the show version alot, his wings make more sense as thrusters to me. Reminds me of that old Omega Boost game a bit.

14. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Ultimate Voltron EX is not only my favorite Voltron ever by a landslide, it's one of my favorite sets/figures I own, if not just my favorite. Definitely top 3 out of hundreds of figures I have. The negatives I agree with are the creaking when moving some joints makes the plastic or construction feel a bit worrisome, and I wish he had stronger joints on some places. Some pretty important joints are just way too loose. Reason I let that slide is that I have never really been unable to get him in a pose I wanted to display him in, and mine has never fallen down once in a good pose.

The thing people complain about on his waist rotation is an incredibly simple easy fix. If you look at what obstructs the rotation it is the tiniest bit of plastic more than what was needed there, and with an emory board and 3 minutes I filed it down just a little and unlocked full 360 waist rotation.
    There is also a lot of articulation to this guy that I have seen most reviewers and people who post pics of this Voltron miss. Admittedly it's dumb that these things weren't in the instructions. The extra knee joints in the blue and yellow lion's butts is crucial to pulling off those kneeling and Iron Man poses. The red and green lions have an extra hidden elbow joint section that greatly improves how much you can bend the arms. There is some mess going on with the back of the black lion's neck that makes head posing more dynamic, as well as joints down in the neck that can be extended for even more posing options. Every lion's legs at the hip/shoulder joints can be pulled outward to free up more articulation for more cat-like posing and those joints click back in against the body for a sleeker Voltron mode. Lion head feet can lock into place for greater stability and only unlock when you pull those lion's shoulders out. Legs click in very securely at the knees and only come out when a gray tab in the back is pressed. Some think the arm lion heads don't rotate much but if you pull and wiggle a bit you can free up good 360 rotation as well as tilts and some side to side action too. I'm probably forgetting a thing or two, but yeah... It's got some cool stuff going on.

Some also say they have an issue with the lack of accessories, but honestly for me a pile of bladed disks and knives would always just be in the box. I just need his sword and shield, though I do think for the price the blue and yellow lions should have their pop up back weapon pods, if not such gimmicks on them all.

Main thing for me with this guy though is presence and the fun of posing every individual lion and Voltron. He's just one of the few I always enjoy going to when I want to set up a bad-ass looking bot in a bad-ass pose. Just a shame about the loose joints though. If not for that and some creaky joints, I'd call him just about perfect.

As for those who had QC issues, especially those who had such issues and ended up hating this set, hey, I get it. I've been in that boat with figures before. My blue lion was totally missing the paint on one eye and it took me about 2 months to get a replacement, but since I did and everything else was great, I love the thing. The set reminds me of what a reviewer said a loooong time ago about Metal Gear Solid 2. So great with so much to love that it is easily a 10, yet it is also far from perfect, which makes it hard to give it a 10 at the same time.

I just can't really get into one that looks too close to the 80s toy or show anymore. Too dated looking for me now, and I really don't care for the Netflix Voltron design or show at all. Only Ultimate Voltron EX gave me the feel I had as a kid when I got my big metal Voltron set... Which I left in the driveway to go get a drink of water and came back out to find my mom had run over and crushed with her van. :( 

20200311_021719.jpg voltron__guardian_of_the_window_by_unicron9_dbgwchi-fullview.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg db46dew-4ed4d19d-f306-44bb-abd1-ffe7682a7cbb.jpg dci3sui-212ed3a1-03c3-4286-bf20-9a6987ed064d.jpg dazsnaz-00ec2cc2-10f1-4cf9-a2d8-b04a00bb9ad1.jpg giant_robot_lions_by_unicron9_db2tz5r-fullview.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
  15. Chaos Muffin

^ That Voltron looks glorious.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    To just simply play with, he's probably the best Voltron ever. He plays well and looks great doing it. All others fall too far into the categories of "brick", "poorly built/designed" and "display piece".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  17. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So my current search for Icarus Voltron is 2x available at about $900ish, and Stealth (the one I really want) popped up for $1500, I may never own that ver. of Voltron toys, I dont want to pay over $500

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I wish they’d rerelease the EX minus the two-tone metallic paint job. I love the design but I can’t get over the deco chosen.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I actually like the Playmates OG lion set better than the Netflix set.
    Mine holds a pose much better.

Wow, those pictures are great.
    I may have cried a little when I got to the end of your post and found out your mom ran over your Voltron as a kid.

However, I don't really understand what you're saying about the posabilty of the lions and Voltron.
    Maybe you could send me your Ultimate Voltron and I can see for myself.
    I'll send it back when I'm done.
    HONEST!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Wrong Voltron
    2. My favorite Voltron (would've bought him too if it wasn't for those s#[email protected] shoulders that rotate with the arm)
    3. Nice scale photo with Optimus

• Like Like x 2