Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    I'm fine if I damage/ruin/rip the box myself on accident, but for them to ship me a messed up box especially at $339.99... :confused: 

2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Anyone else's lower waist (into the black unit) really loose? My barely wants to connect and it definitely wobbles from side to side quite a bit.

3. leus

leus Well-Known Member

I LOVE Voltron. I am the biggest Voltron toy collector ever.........but I only collect the older more distinguished stuff, like the Hot Wheels Voltron. I am considering some of the newer stuff, but I would first like to see how they hold up their value before I decide to buy ....I am very intelligent with respect to how I spend my money.

4. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    We have ver diff ideas of how to collect Voltron or what would make someone the biggest collector. As far as value goes I have a strong belief in personal value over the perceived monetary value

• Like Like x 3
  5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's lots of good stuff to pick from! And, don't think you can really go wrong with much of any of it.

Mine wobbles back and forth a little, but, it seems to get a decent enough grip. That being said, I always put my finger between his legs :) D) and support him beneath his crotch whenever I pick him up. Did you push the button between the treads on the black unit while you were completing the connection? If you look inside the top of the black unit toward the rear, you will see a black plastic catch. That catch will release if you push the black button between the treads on the black unit. In my opinion, there should have been one catch on the front and one on the rear inside the top of the black unit to make the connection more secure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Prometheus 073

Prometheus 073 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Voltron fan too, and have always collected the toys as much as I could. In my opinion, however, these two SOC sets are THE definitive versions of these two respective robots. I sold off many other Voltron robots in the last 2 or three years, because they were no longer relevant. I had a vintage VV set that I lovingly pieced together off of eabay for years, complete with a sword. Sold it. I had Miricle Creation VV. Sold that as soon as I learned this version was on the way. I had a Toynami Lion Voltron. Sold it. A king of Beast imported lion Voltron set. Sold that two. They were all great toys, awesome figures, and beautiful display pieces, but they were all also deeply flawed in one way or another.

I now have exactly five Voltron sets. The two SOC voltrons, one of the Larger Legendary defender sets, a small Trendmasters combining Lion Voltron, (because it's a neat scale), and the Gladiator Voltron set by Evolution Toy. And I don't forsee ever needing to buy another Voltron, unless SOC makes the Gladiator set.

Different collectors have different wants and needs, but in my estimation, these newer offerings utterly and completely blow away everything that came before. The Matchbox Lion Voltron was literally the Holy Grail of my childhood. I walked through fire to acquire it. But if I still had it, and I had to choose between it and my SOC Lion Voltron, I would take the SOC and never look back in regret. There's no reason to have both, except nostolgia. And while nostolgia is a fine thing, I decided years ago that I would rather have the best current versions of different robot characters, than the nostolgic versions, which are usually crudely sculpted bricks in comparison, with few accessories, and very limited articulation.

• Like Like x 4
  7. redrum2581

Ebay:
    meh i think your estimations are off :D 

wish i'd known i'd have gone in on the KoB and MC

8. Masterpiecefan

Masterpiecefan Well-Known Member

Figures my gx-88 is scheduled for delivery time and my wife has to physically go into work even she typically works from home. Ugh lol. Oh well looks like I'm getting mine friday

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  9. Prometheus 073

King of Beast Voltron wasn't bad at all. In fact, it had one or two points that beat out my SOC lions. I could understand why someone might even prefer it. But if you are talking about Miraicle Productions Vehicle Voltron... that thing was just plain junk compared to SOC 88. You are not missing a thing there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    Day and night from the Miracle one a few years ago. Just so much more quality with this one. Perfect figure.

11. AirComm72

AirComm72 Instrument of Destruction

If you're talking about the middle part of the torso locking into the bottom (hip) - there's a button on the back of the hip part you have to press to lock it in. I had the same problem at first.

12. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Looks like GX-88 "stocked and sold by Amazon.com" is sold out.

Only see 3rd party sellers now.

13. redrum2581

Ebay:
    Prob not and I'm not after the many ver. of VV, just LV tbh. I will say this, VV has sparked or rekindled my love of transforming mecha (not to he confused with TFs) and I think I'll check out a few other SoC/Mecha that look good and would fit the bill which right now my eyes are on GodMars and Diaclone Warudaros as a Robeast (just trying to figure out that $400)

14. Johnny1378

Johnny1378 Well-Known Member

8CD2D70D-81A0-4F28-B8DC-90C1E6DCA041.jpeg DC988BFF-F42C-468F-9BDD-B8BE60AC2169.jpeg ECE9ABFB-B634-42FF-A344-F93CA3FB1910.jpeg
    Thanks to Superion80, here on the forum, I was able to add GX-71 to the collection. Thanks again! He’s a really impressive figure!

• Like Like x 7
  15. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Yeah, I tried pushing the button in and then connect it. It's connected but it's definitely not a really tight fit. I had to insert the abs into the hips with quite a bit of force to get it to actually lock in place, and it still wobbles from side to side a good bit. When I have a chance to sit down with it, I am going to see if there is something is preventing it from sliding in all the way (excess plastic or something). It still works well as a display piece, but that's the only part that doesn't lock in really solid.

I thought the button was to disengage it, or am I incorrect?

• Like Like x 1
  16. fschuler

News Credits:
    It is used to disengage it, but it may help to more easily/fully engage it as well. Check to make sure there isn’t any plastic flashing or bits on the catch, inside the top cavity of the black waist unit or on the white rotating waist peg that plugs into it.

17. Prometheus 073

No confusion here. That is exactly my collection: Tfs over here, and Super Robots over here (preferably die cast.) I know exactly what you mean.

And yeah, Godmars is a definite recommend from me! He is awesome. I would probably get the newer release, with the extra pieces. I have the first release, so my small bots don't have the hand weapons. He's a great combiner, with a definite Die Cast Voltron Vibe to him.

Also, God Sigma. God Mars and God Sigma are probably my next favorite SOC releases, besides the Voltrons. God Sigma is really satisfying in that chunky die cast sorta way. Really beautiful combined.

Other recommendations are Dioja, Tryder, Daltanious, Ideon, Gunbuster, Baikanfu, Diatarn3, Zambot, Voltes V and CombattlerV. Those are roughly in order from coolest to least cool. The last two are sorta on the small side, but the others scale and display really well with the Voltrons.

Diaclone reboot stuff is just plain awesome, but the prices are too high for me. I got some of the pieces second hand off of ebay, and the quality and detail is top notch, as well as the engineering. But the cost is just too high for me to really collect the line. If it were all about half as expensive, I would try to own it all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe they'll restock sometime soon.

19. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Well my GX-88 came from Amazon in a box and not cushioned like the others posted here. Luckily the outside sleeve was just scuffed from bouncing around inside it and no other damage to the box. So yeah, if you just want the bot I'm sure it is ok to order from Amazon, but I'd go with other sellers who are aimed more at collectors if you want a nice box.

I have not taken it out yet to play with since I didn't have time, but hopefully after Thanksgiving I'll have some time to play with it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. fschuler

News Credits:
    That sounds like the way mine showed up from Amazon...

• Like Like x 1