Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

Uh huh. Diecast is "slag", just as toy-grade plastic is grocery bags. Both statements are equally false.

Hey, if you can pay $300 for a figure and don't mind if it barely weighs anything in your hand, more power to you. But don't act like it's some con that only you are smart enough to see through. If diecast was just a gimmick for justifying an inflated price tag, it would be used in every toy. You wouldn't be able to escape it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    First things first. Metal itself doesn't cost that much more to produce in the factory than most plastics.

I think the first reason for lack of metal in figures is because of how much it weighs. The greater the weight, the more it costs to ship across seas, even in a shipping container. All plastic lightens that load considerably. When you purchase figures at retail, you're not only covering the cost of production and retail mark-up for profit - you're covering the cost of having it just be there available to you in the first place.

The second reason is that the molds wear down more quickly, IIRC from another discussion with someone familiar with the process here on the boards. That means it costs a little more to use as the mold will need replacing sooner than otherwise. This is okay for Soul of Chogokin figures because they produce them at a lower quantity than toys you find on pegs at Walmart. But that's also why you won't see those peg toys using metal very often, either.

The third reason is safety. Can't have little Timmy bludgeoning little Sally with his 12" 5 lbs. Voltron.

We had a lot of metal toys in the 80's because 1. there was an oil crisis earlier that caused plastic prices to rise and 2. Boomers owned tin or metal toys and remembered how durable those were when they were kids - so that must mean these toys are equally durable.

In the end, it's really just preference. I don't think Split Lip has experienced figures where the metal was well placed and enhanced the product, as SoC figures often do. If one's main experience is Titanium figures or the "just okay" Playmates Metal Lions from a few years ago, then yes - randomly placed metal in a toy is usually detrimental instead of enhancing.

For me, there's just something tactile to picking up a metal-enhanced toy and feeling the weight and cool touch of the metal. It feels more like the machine it's trying to represent as opposed to just a doll.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The fact that die-cast toy metal is the lowest-quality, most cheaply-produced metal has been well-known for literally decades. It's literally low-grade zinc and aluminum usually reclaimed from casting other things.

Except die-cast is often more damaging to toys than it is useful. It puts unnecessary weight and strain on plastic components and is prone to paint chipping, and it's still more expensive than plastic, it's just not any "better" when you think about it.

"Weight" means nothing in terms of quality, otherwise a toy filled with sand is a high-end collectible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thayora

Thayora Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    Weight is such a sensory thing that really draws people in making them feel they got their money's worth. But your original post that they're replying to was about diaclone right? And I agree that diaclone having diecast would ruin it's playability that is the strongest highlight of that toyline.

But back to Voltron, as much as I like the diecast feel, part of me wishes they sacrifice some of it for better articulation that isn't weighed down by metal.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    SOC Voltron is diecast done right

• Like Like x 8
  6. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    It depends on how much is used and where it ends up. The original line used metal without too many issues but articulation wasn't at a premium then. The ability to switch around parts could cause the modern versions to become unbalanced - so I think using no metal in the Diaclone Revival series is probably a wise choice. That and I'm never very confident in Takara's ability to include metal in most modern releases because I don't think they are either.

Like Shin D said, look no further than Bandai's SoC GX-71 Voltron for a great rendition of Voltron using some die-cast metal. Take a look at some reviews - and understand why he goes for $400+ on the aftermarket even after just having a reissue. Like I said before, Bandai of Japan has the metal game down (usually) and Bandai of America was getting their act together with the Power Rangers Legacy line. The Ninja Megazord is almost SoC quality but falls considerably short on the articulation side of things (but is still better than the original).

7. Thayora

Thayora Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
    Yeah I love my GX-71 and I like that the weight feels satisfactory, and for it's weight it pulls off some really good poses. Thought can understand people wanting a lot more especially from the legs that are weighed down by the diecast

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Well, there's the Minipla version for anyone who wants an "ultimate" bendy Voltron.

• Like Like x 2
  9. nutsfu

nutsfu Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but even though many people would hate it because of the lack of transformation/combination, I would love an Amazing Yamaguchi Voltron. It would be super posable, highly detailed and have great accessories/effect parts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jdk504

Jdk504 @REDWOLF130

This could be interesting. Yamaguchi Revoltech turtles are amazingly fun to handle, pose, gawk at. I am wildly impressed with them

Leonardo.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  11. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Yeah, Amazing Yamaguchi is one of my favorite toy lines out right now. The Optimus Prime from that line is coming soon so other robots could be on the horizon. I don't want anymore Voltron but if AY made one, I'd buy. If they somehow incorporate shooting hands, I'd buy 10 of them, lol.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd prefer an SOC F.A.

• Like Like x 1
  13. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you have to imagine if super minipla dairugger is possible...
    multiple parts w/out falling parts.

14. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I won't buy a non-transformeing Voltron even if it will spend prob 75% of it's time as Voltron when it came transform.

15. Jdk504

Jdk504 @REDWOLF130

I feel the same way about Transformers too. The Revoltechs would still need to, "transform" to get me seriously interested and would need to be atleast 8-9" in Voltron mode.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

Still have GX-71 sitting in my POL. Is there anything specific I should check for when it arrives? I wasn't sure if there were any known problems.

• Like Like x 1
  17. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

18. gjcv1408

gjcv1408 Well-Known Member

19. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like the dogs from Ghostbusters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking