Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, it's transforming. That's Super Mini-pla's bag. It may parts-form and use some faux/replaceable parts, but it'll combine.

It'll also be about 30% over-priced.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    People keep hoping that Super MiniPla leads to a SoC DX (re)release when that's really not been a pattern. But it does give me hope for a GX-71 reissue because that means they still have the license.

• Like Like x 1
  5. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    just wondering, since the soc is sold out should i go for the icarus one? and how is lcm toy as a seller?

6. BraveKona

BraveKona Member

I bought the Black Icarus Voltron thru LCM and it was delivered in perfect shape. Lau is the contact via email and answers all questions very promptly. I can vouch for that seller as being one of the best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    More details on that smaller Bandai set from its LCM listing:

[Pre-Order] Super Minipla - Voltron Defender of the Universe (Bandai)

• Like Like x 1
  8. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why these super minipla kits are so much more expensive than the regular minipla sets. It’s not like they’re any bigger than the original minipla.

9. Sixshot666666

Sixshot666666 Ninja Consultant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That minipla Voltron dissapointed me with all the parts swapping

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Literally no reason for the price increase, other than they're "Legacy" characters of mecha from past shows, whereas standard Minipla is almost always released alongside current media.

It's honestly disappointing. Bandai could be sitting on a gold mine if they released these kits with engineering to match the price (or vice-versa) and made them less difficult to procure by making them just a standard model kit line akin to Gunpla. But instead the kits are limited release, overpriced, and not terribly good to begin with. They're hardly bad, but they're no more intuitive than the average Minipla, whereas you'd think they'd have more detail.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thayora

Thayora Well-Known Member

Tumblr:
  12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
  13. Sixshot666666

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh boy those lion proportions, not feeling it. On the other hand, looks like maybe you can have a full transformation. Considering it.

14. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    You've made it fairly well known you're pretty disappointed or bitter with the line so far, but I gotta totally disagree with your assessment here. There's a TON more than just "legacy" for the price increase when compared to a traditional minipla kit. Just to name a few:
    • Excellent color/parts separation. While mainline kits will often you use gigantic stickers to cover large swaths of plastic to add color, the Super's will use stickers mostly for details or smaller parts. Things like GGG's tiny little head jewel is a separate part, or the little gold and green (two separate parts even) "claw" emblems on Dragonzords knees and hips, even Sabertooth Tiger's eyes. Plus you don't have to worry about large pieces (or whole team members) being molded in entirely the wrong color, because that was easier for Bandai. This adds to parts count, which adds to cost.
    • Prepainted parts! Sometimes just a few, sometimes plenty! All faces are prepainted....no more terrible, single stickers plastered over an entire face.
    • Use of clear parts. I think Dragonzord is the only Sentai mecha to use it so far, but all the GGG kits feature separate, clear parts where appropriate.
    • Lack of, or very few "hollow" parts. I'm not talking about the hollow space inside two pieces, I'm talking about those giant, gaping, empty cavities that plague many Minipla kits. You know those ones Bandai sometimes cover with a giant sticker, instead of an actual piece of plastic, hoping you won't notice. Looking at you Jyuohger.
    • More and "crisper" molded detail. Often times on regular Minipla, a detail sticker will cover up a smooth, flat surface, relying on the print of the sticker to provide the missing details. Every sticker for SMP's goes over molded details that would allow you, if you so choose, to paint on that detail instead. I also feel the molded details look finer and sharper than the sometimes "waxy" appearance traditional Minipla's have.
    I think Bandai already IS making a gold mine, based on how fast they sell out, and how quickly the line seems to be moving now. Popular Minipla kits already sell out pretty fast, and usually go up in value shortly after. There's nothing to say the SMP's are limited release. Instead I'd guess they're selling out so fast just because they are so popular. The Megazord, Dragonzord, and GGG have already been reissued and sold out on most Japanese sites, for the second time. I think that's saying something right there.

Was it confirmed already to be a P-Bandai exclusive...or is that just the first place it's popped up? I really don't want to pay mark up if I don't have to.

Yep, looks awesome. Swapping out the lions legs means they can each, finally, have decently sized legs in lion mode. Looks like Red and Green have extending elbow joints too.

Nah, that's actually a little more than the normal retail price for the previous releases like GGG, Megazord, or Live Robo. I'd expect him to be roughly the same size.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Damn SMP Voltron looks great. I thought I’d be able to pass just because I’ve gotten so many Voltron figures recently but SMP is such a blast to build and pose and every kit so far has felt like money and time extremely well spent. SMP has been such a consistent source of joy so far that I guess I can’t see myself not grabbing a Voltron.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sixshot666666

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know what I’m gonna get SMP Voltron because damn I just realized he would scale with my SMP Daizyujin and Dragon ceases. I wanted a Voltron to scale with them and almost got the die cast defender for that reason.

18. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never bought a mini-pla but ill start with this one :D  Saw it on Amiami but waiting on HLJ.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jdk504

Jdk504 @REDWOLF130

How much on amiami? Their site is down. This guy looks awesome. Anyone have experience with these types of toys? Quality, feel in hand? Is the whole thing pre-painted? Anything we would have to do other than assemble this guy?

What's the retail on this?

20. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    If it's as robust and nice as the others I've built (GGG, Goldy, Zambot) then you'll likely be satisfied. Heck, you built the Yamato SDF-1 so you could do this with your eyes closed - and no painting required! :p 

I'm waiting for HLJ, too. Hopefully their price will be around the 4850 yen AmiAmi has it for.

If all else fails I'll pick it up post release from Mandarake.

Last edited: May 7, 2018