Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. redsaleen

redsaleen Well-Known Member

What else does Playmates have?? They discont the TMNT line till the new stuff comes out. So they haven’t had TMNT sales since December.

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Just looked up Playmates stock. I had no idea it's on the verge of being penny stocks at $0.11/share! Folks, that is NOT good...and the demise of TRU may essentially hasten the demise of the company as a whole. There's probably at least ONE person on this board who could go in and become a majority shareholder for a few $100,000. LOL!

3. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Ehh,,, If Playmates folds, it folds. They were a huge part of my childhood during the late 80s/early 90s with TMNT and Toxic Crusaders among other toylines. They could do almost no wrong then, but once we got into the 2000s, they started to loose steam.

4. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Ben10 is their biggest line next to TMNT.
    I’m going to be completely honest here; I am kind of hoping they go under so the Turtles license can finally go to another company and enjoy life under fresh direction.

5. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I hadn't been paying attention so I didn't even know the new 84 lions even existed until a friend messaged me about the clearance stuff. I hit Target and both walmarts in town, just found a yellow and a blue. It's kinda sad that it appears that it's being killed off.

These look rad, I just wish they weren't so big. Assembled this thing is going to be almost as big as Titan Devastator.

6. redsaleen

The character designs of the last TMNT line were fine. The new one coming out is baddddd.

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I’m talking about the toys themselves more so than the character designs. I feel like it’s been many years since Playmates made a truly great TMNT toy.

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Okay, let's say that happens. Who is left but Hasbro, Mattel and Bandai of America? I guess there's Jakks...but I'd be pretty leery of what they would possibly do. FUNKO seems content doing 4 inch retro figures and SD vinyl figurines, so I wouldn't really expect them to step up.

9. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    So this probably means no Winged Black Lion for LD, huh.

10. redsaleen

It may me 11cents, but let’s not act like it was an expensive stock that fell. It’s 52 week High was 19 cents.

TMNT and ben10 sell lots of figures.

11. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    As big a brand as it is I can’t imagine it going to anyone but Hasbro or Mattel. I think either of them could do a better job than Playmates.

12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I suppose I'm just sad to see the toy giants are on the verge of collapsing into themselves. Competition is truly the best motivator for innovation...and that is certainly eroding.

Just look at Disney. Quality product...but a very cookie-cutter mass-approach to film-making.

13. steam235

steam235 Well-Known Member

If a company like Hasbro gets tmnt and voltron, you might see a Disney vault situation. No tmnt for three out of five years and then as big push for two years. Voltron pushed heavy on an off year and GI Joe the other two.

14. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Oh I definitely agree with all of that. I miss the days when there were tons of other companies making stuff. I miss the days when I could walk out the door and literally not have enough time in one day to stop at all of the different shops I wanted to check for toys (Suncoast, Musicland, Sam Goody, Media Play, Borders, KB, TRU). They are all gone now, or soon to be. I miss companies like Palisades and Toy Biz making great toys that could be had for cheap at retail everywhere. The older I get the more things I love in all aspects of life are fading away or changing in ways I don't like; restaurants, bars, coffee shops, grocery items, etc. I can really wallow in it if I let myself, and I occasionally do, but it doesn't feel good so I try to work with what's left. :( 
    I really don't see them doing that with TMNT, but with Joe and Voltron? We'd be LUCKY to have them pushed every few years. Voltron for one, until now, hasn't really had a true retail presence in almost two decades.

15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Yeah, Voltron gets trotted out about every 15 years, it seems...to varying degrees of success. The major problem with Voltron is that once you have Voltron...there's really no reason to buy any other toys. There's no recurring Robeast to collect. Even Power Rangers/Super Sentai introduce new mecha several times within the series to entice additional purchasing. But the writers for Voltron back in the 90's and in LD both seem to not understand this concept...making it REALLY difficult for toy companies to come up with new product.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Voltron predates that concept. Or rather GoLion does. The prior Japanese approach was even though the toy company paid for the animation, they tended to lock in the designs for long periods. This way the tooling would last longer. With shows like Mazinger it worked well they have managed to sell the same robots over and over for 50 years. All at high margins. America took the idea of Toymakers paying for cartoons and added that constantly evolving product line with things like G I Joe and Transformers. Which then ported that concept back to Japan, who ran with it big time. But that was mainly post '86.

17. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

You make a good point, there. They need to figure out how to keep the line fresh without turning it into something that doesn't feel like Voltron. The problem, I guess, is that anything other than 5 combining lions doesn't really feel like Voltron for most people (unless you count Vehicle Voltron as well...which us old fuckers usually do). Not that I really need another toy line to collect...but I was really hoping we'd at least get an 8" diecast Classic version before the whole thing went belly-up.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should have also had Vehicle Voltron & Albagaras (or whatever the 3 robot Voltron was) also in the toyline. Even though I didn't like them in the old CGI show, new toys of Stealth Voltron & Dinosaur Voltron. For the Stealth and Dino Voltron, make them all compatible with LD and classic toys so there is a wide variety of mix and match possible.

19. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Off topic.. I’d like a small diecast version of the classic Voltron like the legendary version.. Granted I’d probably wait until it goes on clearance to get it. But I still want it lol.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be tragic if Playmates disappears. Bandai of America is pretty much done, which leaves us with only Hasbro and Mattel as the two remaining major retail toy brands left. Pretty slime pickings compared to the 1980's and 1990's when we still had Kenner, Tonka, and Galloob to give Mattel and Hasbro a run for their money.