Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That would be an excellent idea. Maybe post a poll to see how much interest there might be?

2. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I have been finding the 84 Voltron lions on several occasions. Even a few Walmarts are getting too. No so much the Black Lion which only Target has.

3. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good call, but I would rather see if I can get it produced first before raising any spirits

4. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice sword, where's it from?

5. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Got mine yesterday that I ordered from Toyarena. I'm already liking this guy a lot more than the Legendary Defender one. For one its much lighter and not as unwieldy and I like that they added a release button for the red and green lions. I do wish they gave the black lion his weapons. Also, the sword is too small... I think its the same one that the Toynami 30th Anniversary Voltron came with.

20180211_152214.jpg

As you can see, its light enough for a 1/6 scale flying pose stand, just have to find the proper balance.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I finally got all my lions this weekend. I repainted the grey plastic silver and like how it turned out.

20180211_152607.jpg

I really wished that Playmates could have worked in a bicep swivel and fixed the shoulders. Other than than that it's quite nice.

• Like Like x 5
  7. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Well-Known Member

Looks like the sword from the SOC. Which actually symmetrically wise, looks better on the classic 84 Voltron then the one that comes with it.

The one they provide looks to be way to small, and looks to be identical to the sword that comes with the Toynami MP Voltron minus the chrome. Come to think of it, the Popy sword and the Panosh appear to be identical also.

Having a extra SOC Voltron will come in handy in this case.

image.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks good, I've never been a fan of that pearly grey plastic, to me it give a cheap effect and never seems to show detail too well. I remember the 2010 dino megazord had it and I felt made the remake look pretty weak compared to that solid stuff the original was made from.

9. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Very nice. How do you do it? Do you take it a part or use masking tape? What paint do you use?

10. BraveKona

BraveKona Member

Great picture comparison dante78. To me, the Icarus Voltron looks better than the SOC Voltron in these pictures at the side angles. The SOC legs look too beefy in the side and angled shots while the Icarus version has the better proportions. From the front both look great, however the main advantage the SOC version has is in its Chest plate area not having visible gap between the arms and everything being more toon accurate. However to me the Icarus version looks to be more poseable in the videos. Overall this convinced me to get the Icarus Anime version ordered. I wish I had ordered the Bandai SOC however perhaps they get the license back and reissue this line as well. It is great we are all getting better and better versions at a constant rate and us 38 year old plus fans and collectors have the money to keep buying. I currently own the original, plus the toynami anniversary classic one. I also have the metal legendary and 84 classic as well. This is my first post however I've been lurking and reading for years.

in reply to
    dante78, post: 6471

i'm interested in doing this too. The silver paint job makes the playmates voltron look great.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, I'm probably stupid for asking but if the Bandai one if nearly 5 inches shorter then the Playmates one why does it look longer?

12. Megasquared

News Credits:
    The robot's height is 5 inches shorter not the sword.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. Megasquared

News Credits:
    I tried to disassemble them but that proved to have another set of challenges, particularly the legs were affixed to the sides. So I decided to use masking tape, newspaper and scotch tape. As for the paint I just bought some Testors Metallic Silver Spray Enamel and a Krylon crystal clear coat. And the rest is just some paint thinner to fix up any mishaps.

15. BraveKona

BraveKona Member

Thank you very much. About how much time do you leave the Krylon clear before spraying the second layer?

16. Megasquared

News Credits:
    The can says you can apply additional coats between 2 to 48 hrs. I believe I waited around 3 hr for the second coat.

17. BraveKona

BraveKona Member

Thanks again. I'll be giving this a try as soon as I practice with some other plastic first. I need to learn the best way to spray. In the meantime I am waiting on the Icarus Voltron. It is a good time to be a Voltron fan.

18. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Some spray painting tips-

Patience. That’s the most important thing. Several light coats are much better than one heavy coat.

Never start or stop your spray on the workpiece. Always start it off what you want to paint then move over.

In general silver colored spray paint is one of the easiest to work with. It is extremely opaque so it covers very well, reducing the temptation to put it on too thick.

19. Megasquared

News Credits:
    You might want to keep a bottle of thinner handy because even though I was trying to be ever so diligent with the masking the paint found a way to sneak in here and there somehow.

20. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I plan to use a Molotow Liquid Chrome pen to paint up the lion legs and weapons.

They are a great tool, and you can learn all about them in this thead:
    Customs: - MOLOTOW LIQUID CHROME MARKERS TRIAL

It rubs off very easily, especially due to the natural oils from a person's hands. So either seal it, (with Alclad Klear to preserve the chrome reflectiveness, or with Pledge floor polish that reduces reflectivity by about 10%)or leave it untouched for a few months for it to really cure.