Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

This Voltron Legendary Defender combiner toy is just so much FUN! It's been awhile since a toy design has whooed me so much. With so many Voltron toys this is the first one to hide the arm Lions legs. Very impressed with the overall engineering here. The light and sounds are smart and engaging. Great toy.
    Photo_2017-01-09_10-24-37_AM.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those gimmick accessories are actually show accurate. We've seen the red lion get a back mounted cannon in the finale and I am sure we're going to seem more next season. (shame Blue and Yellows cant be used in Voltron mode).

Mine also has paint damage on the sword. Thankfully it is on the inward facing face so you dont notice it.

I also thought they were a little pricey, until I saw what Power Rangers is putting out. Same 5 individually sold zords, but a fraction of the articulation, and paint these guys get. And Voltron actually transforms and doesnt just partsform. Considering his size I can forgive his articulation. You really can't have both. I look at Devestator and Metroplex, both the same size (or bigger) with way less articulation. As a Megazord collector I am impressed he can move his arms and bend at the knee!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Same as mine. There must be an issue at the factory.
    I've always thought the Megazords were sort of a ripoff too, so that doesn't really help ;)  But yes, all things being relative, this is better.

You can't have it move as freely as a smaller figure due to the need to support all that weight, sure. But Devastator and Unicron both have better articulation at a similar size. My main complaint is that the elbows have no room to move more than a couple of degrees, and the neck and wrists are almost entirely static. I'm not sure how they could have fixed the elbows without a lot of expensive engineering, but the wrists and neck shouldn't have been difficult--and they also don't have to support a lot of weight.

4. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Amen! Green and Red's lion needed wrist movement, besides rotation, and Voltrons head has no reason it shouldnt at least rotate!

5. acave720

acave720 Well-Known Member

Thanks bro. I really appreciate it

6. h82blat

Just received Mad Toys Beast King Voltron and it is beautiful. Very well done.
    It's a great time to be a Voltron fan! So much love coming to us from all these toys.

IMG_20170109_130720-01.jpeg

7. h82blat

The Mad Toys Voltron V1 is amazing. I would highly recommend the official V2 release. Just a well balanced, sturdy Die-Cast Voltron! Bravo Mad Toys.

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Daltanias is AWESOME!! And knowing the history of the Voltron television program, kinda fits in as "Voltron 0.5".

9. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

Exactly. I only recently learned about Daltanias connection to Voltron while perusing SoC reviews. The more I read the more I wanted it. Between him, Voltron and GGG I am beginning to think I have a robotic lion fetish haha

• Like Like x 2
  10. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Haha, I definitely have a robotic Lion and Tiger fetish but it's mainly for ones with the cat's face on the chest since I have no real love for Voltron. The SoC looks so good though...still holding out on it.

11. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

LOL, it's all about the face on the chest for some reason to me. I always liked Daltonius as a kid and thought Voltron was skimped since he didn't have the chest. I don't like Beast Wars but I ended up buying a MMC Catilla last year.

12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    When I was a child, back when Dillard's used to have a toy department, the store was having a clearance sale. This included 1985 Transformers, Godaikins, the whole lot. I saw Godaikin Daltanias and G1 Omega Supreme...both were marked down to less than $40 or so, IIRC. I showed my mother and she essentially asked me which I'd want more, knowing this was a REALLY good price on both. I said Daltanias and that I would do chores for forever if I got it. So, I passed up Omega Supreme. Daltanias got a LOT of play as a child...and I knew of only one other kid who had one. In 2011, my wife and I had fallen on hard times after she lost her job. Looking for ways to pay the bills, I sold Daltanias and Dynaman for $300 together. So, buying SoC Daltanias is like recapturing that childhood toy, only better than ever!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

That is awesome :) 

Ill be honest I am a total poser and had practically zero awareness of most Super Robots. I just stumbled upon the Soul of Chogokin line after seeing posts about their Voltron. That being said I have had quite the crash course recently and am totally immersing myself in giant robit history.

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I won't lie. I had absolutely no concept of the show when I got him as a child. I was blessed in that a toy store in the mall had Godaikins out the whazoo and I fell in love. Only ever got three due to the price: Daltanias, Dynaman and the STD Vavilos. It would be later in the 90's that the Power Rangers/Dynaman connection was even made on my part. Most of my transforming robot awareness as a child was in Transformers, GoBots and Voltron...and loosely Robotech. It wouldn't be until the past five years I started retracing roots and boning up on Japanese properties. Don't even get me started on what it was like to learn more about the Brave series...and how pissed I was that we were stuck with Beast Wars while the awesomeness of Super TAKARA Robots fused with Gundam designs were being offered in Japan at the same time...

15. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well I wont lie. I can't get the arms out lol.

I tired the straight pull (only holding the back of the lion and the shoulder) - no dice
    I tried the 2 finger leverage - no dice
    I tired the cross the arms method (with a cloth between to ensure it doesn't scratch) - no dice.

For now he is staying as Voltron! :D 

I also think I will eventually exchange my blue lion, as his front paw is really loose, and I think it effects his ankles.

16. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Member

Here is the best method yet for removing the arms (imo):

17. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tired that one! @_@

18. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

How I remove the arms:
    1) Bend the arms all the way back- so the grey bits of the Black Lion's arms are poking out towards the front of Voltron's body.
    2) Give it a good tug at the red/green lion's butt- grasp the lion's butt semi-firmly.

Now THAT'S a facebook quote: Grasp the lion's butt semi-firmly....XD

Works every time- at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
  19. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've actually hurt my wrist trying to pull it out. @_@

EDIT:

I finally got them out. And looking in the socket there is a peice of broken plastic. It wasnt the nibs on the lions so I can only assume it is left over int he black that was holding them back from releasing.

20. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Yet another fantastic facebook quote. LOL