Voltron Toys Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shin Densetsu, Jun 7, 2010.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Thanks for clarifying that. I already bought the SoC, but I'm really curious about the v2. Have money saved just in case.

2. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

My SoC came in today. It was pretty much what I expected; a very nice update of the old Voltron chogokin toy that I had when I was young.

IMG_3151.JPG

Speaking of young, here are the comparison pics from when I was a but a kid in Hong Kong and now:

dec5.jpg IMG_3153.JPG

Yes, that is the same long chair that my family took with us when we moved from HK to the US. It only took me almost 20 years to replace that Voltron with this new one, haha. Also, unlike most giant robot anime that was shown at the time, in Hong Kong we were shown Voltron instead of Go Lion so when I saw it on TV in America I instantly remember the theme songs.

Now to wait for the Legendary Defender version tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dapro

dapro Well-Known Member

You are missing the Lion-O in the now pic. :D 

4. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

You're welcome bud. ^_^

5. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

It really is a nice product, I've been fumbling with Playmates Legendary Voltron and Toynami's Ultimate EX for a week now, and they're pretty darn cool. If you're pressed on money, the Legendary Voltron is enough- but if you want lots of detail and paint + you've got some money to burn: The EX is also a good buy.

I would personally suggest you purchase some metallic markers to fix small scratches here and there, because it's been happening on my EX- I've got a couple spots to fix, so I had to get some metallic permanent markers to fill those little specks and spots in- but it's not the end of the world.

I just love how stable and smooth the Legendary Voltron is, nothing hangs loosely on mine- it's a solid figure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. robh

robh Decepticon

damn. Seeing them side by side, there is no comparison. I much prefer the updated/stylized version of the EX in the looks department. Now I'm in a quandry. Should I spend that kind of cash on something with little waist articulation and potentially time-bombed ball joints for hips. Ugh. ><

I ordered mine from ToyDojo. I should get it here tomorrow. Pretty excited since my 4 year old just finished watching the show with me, and he liked it quite a bit. Rekindling that 80's magic. I'll likely do a few of the mods that Prime0080 did in this thread and I may give it some panel lining.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Damn I wish the LD toys were out in Canada.

8. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Might start hunting for the legendary defender lions tomorrow when I get paid

9. Jdk504

Jdk504 REDWOLF

Why not just get both or all 3? I did and we know that is a good amount of money to spend on toys, but once they sell out they are going to go for way more than they are now.

I can't see the EX dropping bc you get a lot for your money. I can see why they used ball joints vs ratchets on the hips (more posable and probably cheaper), but honestly this guy is just going to go in my case and rarely handled.

Let's say they drop the EX to $299. I know it's not a direct competitor to the SOC, but you can see it's a lopsided deal if you were choosing to buy one figure. As good as the SOC is most will see the EX and think they are getting a better deal bc of size although there is no die cast.

Has there ever been any voltrons released then went on sale? Most if not all the stuff I see has gone way up once sold out.

10. LDM

LDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am this (really close) to ordering from the states and swallowing the shipping cost.

But I'm terrified of them being released in the next three weeks here before I even get my shipment!

Wish I knew a manager at TRU....

11. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

Any idea where one could find the box art files for the Legendary Defender toy boxes? Really like the art on the boxes.

12. Jdk504

Jdk504 REDWOLF

I def agree with you. I especially love black lions casing. I wish all the lions came packaged that way.

You might just have to scan yours if you have them

13. Jdk504

Jdk504 REDWOLF

Nobody on eBay selling them from your area? You might pay more overall but save on shipping and import tax.

Just another option.

14. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

I will admit that when I saw the comparison shot I was impressed with the sheer bulk and height of the EX. But I personally can't easily display something of that magnitude. Plus I prefer the styling of the GX71 and I am a slut in general for generous yet tasteful diecast in my robot figures.

15. robh

robh Decepticon

Yeah.. I could get all three, but I have a feeling I'd have regret with buying the SOC after seeing him next to FT Dibots. I love those figures (I have all of them), but they are not where I want my combined voltron to be size wise. Just a personal preference.

I agree that they likely won't go down. I'm just a bit on the fence. If I'm going to spend 400 bucks on something, I don't want to already "not like" something of it before I even have it in hand :p . Of course seeing the comparison shot, I have a feeling it would be a non-issue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Because not everyone can afford that. And it's not about what's a good value, or what will or will not be available, it's often a question of people do not physically have that much money to spend.

Don't do it! You know they'll be everywhere soon enough. Even if it is March or April, that's not that far away.

I only hope the Canadian retail prices are reasonable, like $25 for the limbs and $35-$40 for black.

If they're not out in Canada then no, they won't be available from sellers near him. It's not that he can't find them, it's that they haven't been released in this country as of yet.

17. h82blat

h82blat Well-Known Member

I would hold out of you can. As long as Canada has the Playmate's toys turtle figures, I think it's fair to assume they will get the Voltron ones. Might be spring time.
    My Amazon order just got pushed out until Feb-March.

18. SelectedLime375

SelectedLime375 Luna1 Matrix Magic

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Here's the updated articulation review for the Ultimate EX Voltron:

There's also a size comparison to the 30th Anniversary Voltron and Generation Toy Gravity Builder.

For anyone with the SoC Voltron, how do the hip ratchets feel?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice Terror Drome :) 

20. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

Thank, unfortunately the EX is too stylize for my taste. But I did combine the LD one that just came in:

IMG_0167.JPG

I have no idea where that go, probably got left behind when I moved here.

• Like Like x 6