Virtua Fighter 5 coming to 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by smangerbot, Mar 14, 2007.

1. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I want to play it but I'm just lazy. I was really good at VF2 but haven't really played against anything other than AI in the following games. My memory is horrible any more so I completley forget any type of moveset. I usually have a general idea for what I'm doing but it's basically a refined form of button mashing.

I play shooters so much because I don't have to do anything. I'm the guy who will snipe the whole match or set on top of an objective the whole time. Everything else is just so much effort.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Zombie thread.

Except Virtua Fighter 5 uhhh, TS? RS? whatever, the final refined version of VF5 has hit XBL!!!

First thing I did was hit the dojo, and they've changed my main A LOT. Sarah has been changed so all my bread and butter mid staggers are gone. There are NO throws from Flamingo. They've given her a new dash thing which is interesting, and her Dragon spike is back as an easy one input command.

Anyway after doing her command training, did the score attack in arcade mode (first time overall rank 1500 in the world or so, not too shabby) then went online on ranked.

Hoo boy. Took on ALL comers (kyus, dans and titled) and got murdered the first 20 games or so. I kept playing as VF5, wrong moves, timing was all wrong and my pressure game is non existant now that Sarahs moves have been changed. But then toward the end something clicked and BOOM!

Back in the game. Started to beat kyus, dans and a couple of titled folk, I'm guessing they didn't quite know WTF just happened when they got beat by a 5th kyu or whatever.

Anyway, more folk get this! Its my favourite fighting game ever! Fight me. Fight me! FIGHT MEEEE!!!

3. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    'You are not alooone,
    I am heeere with yoooouu,
    Though you're faaar awwaaay,
    I am here to staaay...'

Is how I feel in this thread. Nobody else is going to join me? I did see Smang has picked up VF5:FS though.

I worked out Sarahs foibles now. No throws from flamingo, but they've been changed to activate from her step... ahhh. And stepping is easiest from flamingo. Now I have a valid reason to actually use 'stepping'.

Also her PP>LK/MK which I used like a bastard has been shifted to her forward slide, oooh. So I can use it, but its a lot harder and the inclusion of the slide means there's a window where you can get hit. But that slide can be changed into an escape/reversal into another combo... nice. Anyway getting to grips with her and now winning the majority of my online fights.

Which is nice, my Sarah is becoming dangerous again. The funny thing is a lot of Sarahs adcanced stuff is only effective against experienced players. For instance, in Flamingo I can KK>LK>K to add pressure, then when the other fella blocks/evades I step and throw. Unless they are a button masher and all the steps do is open me up.

Anyway yesterday when I went online I got perfects and stuff against people who are ranked higher than me, and sometimes had real issues with people who's ranks are lower than me... which goes to show ranking means didly squat sometimes.

Still, I haven't felt this good playing a fighting game since... well VF5.

Also the online lobbies are much improved, thank god. You can create rooms (with private slots etc) for parties or just go online singly. Annoyingly you can't have a 'fight request' like in SF4, where you play through arcade mode, and accept challenges.

But yeah, thoroughly enjoying the shit out of this. I just wish it was a physical disc release.

Anyway someone else reply in this thread! I feel cold and alone.

Edit
    Also there are a lot of people who are using certain characters such as Wolf and Taka Arashi (the Sumo) who have massive damage and stagger to basically wear down opponents. But they have pretty high rankings but once you realise their game, people like that are easy to demolish. Having problems with new boy Jean Kujo though, can't seem to suss out his timing versus power.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Got all the achievements in 64 minutes. Not had time to play it any more but I do like it.

5. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I will fite you.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't realize it was out.
    I'll have to DL the trial at least.

What do you guys think of the VF guest appearances in DOA5?

7. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'll see about getting it Thursday. Expect easy wins from me as I press buttons in a manner that almost seems like I could know how to play.

I realized something while playing some MK9, I don't react to whats going on. I have my limited skill set and stick to that, rarely looking at what the other player is doing.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that a challenge? I'm kidding how about a quick walkthrough I'm going to get all VF5 tonight.

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I got the latest release of VF5 that came out on PSN recently and man that game hasn't aged well.....feels like I'm playing VF1 all those years again still.

Maybe I should give it more time....

10. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its the best fighting game bar none.

I rate it over Street Fighter myself.

I also bought Sarahs costume packs, and now have her looking like my old VF5 self, all red. I also found Space Channel 5 Ulala items, and when you do her up as Ulala you get an extra victory pose as Ulala, Tension blasters and everything.

AWESOME.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'm in kit, hella fucking rusty though :( 

I wasn't going to get it, but i played the demo and for some awesome reason Aoi was selectable in it :)  i had forgotten how much i love playing vf. It's the best 3d fighter to me, i love the simplicity of execution but the depth in play. i kind of see it like the 3d fighting equivalent to street fighter in that sense.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  12. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was rusty as hell too, even though I had the odd VF5 match every so often. But half an hour worth of beats and suudenly things clicked!

Lots of people online too, reaquainting with old VF5 players who I've not seen in ages!

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yeah hopefully get some games soon, best way to learn is getting my arse kicked :) 

p,p,k

p,p,d+k :( 

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

When I get this ....

[​IMG]

15. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Smang, Sarahs PPD+K has been removed. Also her DF+KKK. D:

No more of THOSE schenanigans. Thing is its forced me to be more creative to break peoples defence, so now my attacks are much more varied. Anyway went on last night, but at half speed. I was tired and my fingers weren't listening to my brain. Still did alright though, I'm up to sixth Dan after 100 fights or so. I've seen people with 3 times that amount of fights but still 3rd dan or whatever. BtW ranking up/experience is always added at kyu level, at Dan level ranking up only happens with a win. Because saikyo is the best.

LOL, some guy challenged me yesterday for his rank up. He was going up from 9th dan, my 5th should have been an easy win/rank up for him... boy did he get a shock. I should see if the replay function has been improved.

16. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, 8th dan. Which is higher than I ever got with VF5. Lots of fodder online these days. Having said that people are routinely kicking me from their sessions, which is odd, as I don't remember their gamertags at all. Still, I just take it as a sign of them fearing the shit of me and take it as a compliment.

Makes me wonder how some of the higher level players (the ones who monster me) get their games. I guess when they fight me over and over (close games mind) thats a compliment too.

17. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Urgh, some people take this game far too seriously.

I got hit up by a guy called UK Rayne, who, as I understand it is a very good VF player. Anyway IIRC he's normally better than me, at VF5 at any rate. When his name popped up to challenge me I thought to myself 'ooh, better man up so I don't embarrass myself'.

Anyway it was 2-1 to me final round and I was comfortably kicking his ass, last hit to finish the match and boom! Disconnect. Really?

What annoyed me was I wasn't exactly playing that well online last night the rest of the time. Oh well. I guess I'll have to neg him and move on. I just thought he was better then that, y'know?

18. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You sure you weren't just fighting a guy who copied the name?(with slight variation, of course)

Anyways, picked it up on PSN. Never played this series before and I'm not really the biggest fan of 3D fighters but I couldn't resist the price.

19. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nah, its definitely the same guy, but its no big deal.

I went from 9th Dan today to Hunter today. Just went on an insane run in ranked and took on all comers. Rank didn't mean didly squat though today, I monstered Raiders and other titled, and had trouble with 1st kyus and lower dans.

But yeah, I'm playing really good at the moment, my only real weakness is I'm settling for a trading game, ie, taking a small hit to try and grab a bigger hit... I really shouldn't be eating wakeup kicks at all.

Anyway yeah, I'm loving this.