Video games you HATE that everybody loves.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I wonder what ppl in this thread like...I mean some ppl in here hate some of the biggest and greatest game series produced.

I dont hate any game, I just dont find it my cup of tea.

GTA games are fun for about 5 min.

FPS like Cod and BF are fun the first 6 min

Pokemon is not even fun in any form.

Fallout lost its glory after the first one, made it with one hour of Fallout 3 Game of the year edition.

2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    You're not alone. I played Pokemon White for...gosh, three months since my birthday. Haven't used my DSi since. :(  But a Pokemon MMO would make Nintendo a mint. Do it, Nintendo! Do it so I can enjoy Pokemon again!

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The Forza games

4. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Final Fantasy series. I just could not get into them.

The yearly sports titles.

This Sims series. Played a bit of the first one and it bored me to tears.

Amnesia: The dark descent

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Devil May Cry, reasons:

- The gameplay is repetitive [this coming from a guy who found Hellboy the science of evil to be pretty cool] and seriously boring.

- The lyrics of the songs make no goddamn sense ["We are falling, mist of resolving" What the hell is that supposed to mean?].

- The main character is obnoxious: he tries way, WAY, WAY too hard to be badass, every line of dialogue he says to me sounds like "HEY I'M BADASS, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT MEEEEE", also is a carbon copy of Sephirot in appearence, AND barely looks like a man. Grow some vaguely masculine features and we'll talk, son.

There's also God Of War, but I mostly don't like God Of War because I find Kratos to be ungodly generic, he's just "VENGEANCE, VENGEANCE, VENGEANCE, REVENGE", so I was unable to get into the story.

Also, I feel the whole "RAGE AGAINST THE HEAVENS" thing became boring very quickly, God Damn'it, was the WHOLE FREAKING GREEK PANTHEON evil? What the hell? I know Zeus was one heck of a douche in the original mythology but most of the OTHER Gods were normal fellows [Hades for instance, was actually the nicest God in the greek mithology], God of War seemed to turn every single member of the greek pantheon in laughably evil hacks, that very quickly became boring as hell.

Most of the games I dislike are due story reasons.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    A fair call for all entries in the series beyond Devil May Cry 1, which I thought was a decent hack n slash

Either its a really bad translation of a Japanese song, or its simply a bad song regardless of origin but I'm with you, that makes no sense.

I think Dante's design theory is that of a Japanese vision of manliness, which differs greatly from the popular vision of Arnie-like dudes in the West. Sure he looks like a dandy (and he does) but when he can bring the pain like he does, my guess is you can be as dandy as you like.

He's manly, but its largely in his attitude and spirit. Even then, your milage may vary. I think he's a charming sort of bastard, but to others he (not unreasonably) comes across as a pompous douchebag.

I agree with this completely. God of War can suck the big one.

7. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'll add FIFA to my list - I just don't get it. I don't think the different versions can even be called sequels by this point, it's just the same bloody game every year with different player names and people still line up at midnight to buy it. Why?!

8. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    1) God of War is a epic game and once you play through all 5 parts in the correct order the story is one of the greatest made. Kratos is not your typical hero who saves the world...HE is feed up, all he thirst for is revenge and he will get it.

2) Fifa is not always the same, there are always improvments in the AI, design, ball controll, and so on. In the older Fifa one could easaly just pass pass pass shoot and score. WIth Fifa 11 these days you really need to be good or you will get 1,2,3,4, goals in your behind.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I liked Halo until I played Reach. Not a fan of team based FPS. I couldn't keep track of who was on my team and who was an enemy.

10. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Not hate. Just don't enjoy in the slightest, regardless of popular opinion.

Much as you do with your examples. ;) 

11. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Pretty much this. I didn't see what was so damned "revolutionary" about the game.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I've gotta throw in just about every Sonic game before Sonic Adventure. I just don't see the fun in it, especially considering that the gimmick of "blazing speed" is kinda offset by the games being platformers more than "hold forward and run".
    Batman: Arkham City also didn't tickle my fancy in the ways that I thought it would. It was a great game, yeah, and I did have fun with it, but I don't see what makes it exceptional and worth drooling over so heavily. I guess I got a bit hyped, maybe.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The blazing speed was Sega's way to make it look "cooler" then mario. The real fun of an old school Sonic was taking the multiple paths, getting the chaos emeralds, and generally trying to uncover everything. Maybe you had to be there.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Modern Warfare games. They're so fucking boring. Generic brown-grey dude fighting generic brown-grey dudes in generic brown-grey cities in generic brown-grey vehicles.

15. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* :rolleyes2 

I can't think of any.

16. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

:lol 
    I love Mario Kart Wii but the Wii Wheel is horrendous. It's the single worst method of control I've ever experienced in a video game. Use a Gamecube controller, use a classic controller, or use the Wii remote+Nunchuk setup, and throw that Wii Wheel into an incinerator where it belongs.

Anyway, I thought of something else for my list:

Any EA sports game series. It's bad enough they release the exact same game with maybe $5 worth of updates as a totally new, full-priced release every year, but the concept just leaves me dumbfounded.
    You pay $50-$60 to play a limited simulation of a game that you can go outside and play, for real, for free. Am I the only one who sees a problem with this?

17. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

pretty much all of em.

18. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I don't play sports games (maybe 1 every 5ish years) but quotes like this

and this

drive me nuts. For the former, i'm sure there's plenty of people who either can't go play those sports, or don't want to spend the time, money etc etc learning how to play and finding groups etc etc. Also who wants to go outside and play soccer or basketball in the middle of winter? (At least in football it makes it better!).

For the latter, i'd rather not go overseas and start shooting at people and be shot at, unless necessary. And it's certainly not something i'd want to do with my friends for an hour or two every night.

I do think that most sports games are a ripoff, and most FPS are getting there too these days. But "just go outside and do it" is a pretty poor reason.

Oh yeah and I hate World of Warcraft.

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any Nintendo franchise games other than Mario, Pokemon, and Super Smash Bros. Zelda is the most boring shit ever. I hate it when the only thing people defend about Nintendo are their games.

20. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Modern Warfare
    Madden
    Gears of War
    Halo Multiplayer
    Resident Evil
    God of War