Video game burn out. Cutting back.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by AnAutobot1985, Jan 10, 2015.

1. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Anyone else experiencing this?

Lately I have realized I was buying more games than I'll ever need. Granted, my collection wasn't anything super impressive. But for me personally, it was beginning to feel like too much.

First thing I noticed was I am collecting for too many consoles! I was collecting NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, GC, Wii, PC.

So what I have done is cut down on the amount of seperate consoles to keep and collect for. Now I have NES, PS1, PS2, Wii, and PC. Nes because I love my NES games. PS2 is convenient in playing my PS1 games as well. Wii over GC because I can play those on a Wii U (when that time comes). PC is good for newer games and a balance between hard copies and digital downloads on Steam. I didn't have particularly large libraries for the Genesis, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, and GC anyway so those were no brainers (plus many games are pricey and they'd just be more expenses). I have kept my favorite consoles, with fair sized libraries, and can now focus on finishing those up. Then the future is Wii U and PC for me. Simple, and good!

I have also cut back on how many videos I watch on Youtube. I still love many of the gaming channels I watch. However, I find my viewing to be more selective as well now. It gives me more time for other things. That, and as the community continues to grow...it is feeling less personal and more distant. I'm still interested, but not nearly as interested as I was.

2. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Burnout's common for collectors/hobbyists; its natural. I collect more retro games than I do modern games and I have a bit of a backlog of modern titles I need to catch up on, so I try to keep my list small or wait for a while, and get them cheaper anyways. I try to collect retro games from different systems to prevent burnout (plus, it has the added bonus of making systems fresh again) or I'll just throw my hands up in the air by the prices for the less common titles.

3. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

Indeed. Same thing happened with TFs.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I avoid this problem by hardly ever buying games, because little that's out interests me. I get a few that I really like, play the shit out of them, then wait patiently for more.

5. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Same here. I get what I want and wait for the next in a franchise or wait for an original to catch my interest.

6. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

The people who have this problem the most are Steam users.

You buy fifteen games and go back to playing Skyrim.

7. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

^^

Especially when it's from a Humble Bundle. So many games to get through, I can not buy a game for another 2 years and still have games to play.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I was playing the shit of some games from Jan through April of last year during my chemo. Then once that ended I completely burned out, and the few that I have bought since I've barely touched. Bought demon souls 2 last week, and played for about twenty minutes; haven't touched it again.

9. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    I haven't even bought one of the modern consoles out now. I just don't have the ambition to jump into the 'next generation' of gaming as not much has really pulled me in. I'm sick of how games are played out as like these EPIC movies now. I don't care how pretty you can make a game if it plays and feels like crap.

I too, like some on here, have been going back to older game systems and playing through older games. I still love me some classic Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, and Castlevania...among other games.

Also, I discovered repro carts recently of games that either didn't come out in the U.S. (Secret of Mana 2, Terranigma), or are amazingly good ROM hacks (The Legend of Zelda: Outlands, Super Mario 3-mix).

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i've been playing video games nonstop since i was a tiny kid. i didn't become a video game collector until spring 2005. my collection went from a few dozen titles to near 1000. i doubt i'll burn out from collecting VG or any other hobbies. but i do take breaks from time to time to prevent a burn out.

11. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I hit the burnout point for TF collecting and shifted back to video games myself. I have all of the newer systems but I still put more time into retro games than anything that's come out recently.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I just play what I like.

I haven't even touched my Xbox in a long time.

13. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

I'm like a number of others on here, there hasn't been anything that has made me want to get a PS4 or XB1. For the first time in years, I didn't even have any games I wanted for Christmas. The only game that has caught my eye is the new Dragon Age.

Instead I've been playing through Ico/SOTC HD Collection (again) and War for Cybertron, which honestly disappointed me the first time I played through it but I have been enjoying it a lot more the second time through.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just buy games I know I will enjoy so I can play them eventually. This method will result in you having a tremendous backlog, but if you just hold off buying until things hit clearance or bargain bin, you won't spend that much on them.

I've picked up every game in the namco Tales series released since Vesperia. Haven't been able to get through them all yet but I know they are games I enjoy and will get to them eventually.

I still have sealed PS2 backlogs :lol  I almost opened my copy of xenosaga 2 the other day but saw there are newfangled PC emulators for PS2 that do a better job playing the game then old PS2's do, so I've just been using that.

15. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

I burned out on video games a long time ago. The only games I seem to have time for nowadays are fighters since I don't need to invest a lot of time into them. Although, I do play Skylanders or a Lego game with the kids once in a while.

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Kids. :rolleyes2  Little Nemo: The Dream Master is still on my dresser waiting to be finished. But the good news is that my NES backlog is down to just three games now (Nemo, Dragon Warrior 3 and 4). I think I've finished everything else on that console that I've ever really been interested in completing. (You win, Tyson. You win.)

But as for current titles, I've sort of burnt out a bit. As a PS+ subscriber I've started going through what I like to call the "Instant Backlog" on my hard drive to just mix it up a little. I'm sure I'll go back to some epic grand adventure story, but for now I'm just going to dabble a bit.

17. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I just don't find time to play the games I bought :( 

18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've been doing this recently, I'd rather spend a couple of hundred buying everything I'll ever want for the PS3 on clearance as insurance against it being an emulation tarpit (like Saturn, N64, OG XB) then regret not doing so in 5 years time.

I'm leaving sixth gen until I get my next computer, but was looking at PCSX2 and Dolphin screenshots the other day and was almost bewildered at how good some games with nothing more than modern resolution and filters. Its like the total opposite of PS1 where (IMO) it makes the games look worse because the super low res textures and UIs jar horribly with the polys.

19. Wuffles

Wuffles Well-Known Member

This happens to me a lot. Usually I'll play Fallout for about 3 weeks straight and then I wont want to play anything for awhile. Recently I just started playing GTA Online again to ease my way back into gaming again.