1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy/Scratch: VHS-Laserbeak (W.I.P.)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by KINGBOTZ, Oct 26, 2018.

1. KINGBOTZ

KINGBOTZ www.KINGBOTZ.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Been DYIN' ta tackle the VHS-formats of the 'Cons & 'Bots for a long time now, and finally decided to just jump right in and get it started last night. 2 main choices came down to Laserbeak and/or Ravage, and since I already had a junker/KO-Laserbeak layin around, decided to start with him first. Already go the tape totally apart, top-half of the transformation-proposal finalized and templates started, ready to start cuttin some plastic.

I plan on salvaging and implementing as much as the original tape & parts as possible, but some scratch-build will be necessary to complete it, such as the head and weapons, no parts-forming, everything connected during transformation. The transformation will be the same as the G1-tape for the most part, but the weapons will likely be an integral-part of the tail-fins and either pivot or extend-out after the legs fold-down from the underside of the tape's shell. Head will slide-out just like the original. Would really like him to be ball-jointed in as many places as possible to enhance articulation for more dynamic-poses, but will cross that bridge when I get to it! Ravage will likely be next.

44901139_1868822003239090_7442227925014806528_n - Copy.jpg 20181027_122421 - Copy.jpg 20181027_190942.jpg 20181027_190744.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 51
  2. Destructicon 1

Destructicon 1 Original Gestalt

I love the idea man. I’m really excited to see how this project progresses.

• Like Like x 3
  3. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Now you'll never figure that vacuum cleaner out!

• Like Like x 15
  4. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu I like Bay and Knight! TFW2005 Supporter

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

• Like Like x 3
  5. hotwhilz

hotwhilz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Quite ambitious! Looking forward for this on how it would turn out.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Kaijubot

Kaijubot Well-Known Member

This is madnes! I approve. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Aurum Prime

Aurum Prime Active Member

Shannon ur back!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Ok, this is something I wanna see. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. dragonflye18

dragonflye18 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    b5f.jpg
    wanting to see more of this keep it up

• Like Like x 4
  10. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Progress being made today!! :rock 

:lol :lol :lol 

It's comin along as planned, not too many issues so far!

Yep and it's already got its fair-share of little challenges so far as expected, but nothin I can't handle! :D 

I love it, and yep it's nuts, can't wait to tackle the OTHER tapes!

Never left, kinda took a much-needed break there for a little while, but yes I'm back in the groove again. :rock 

Got a little more to show today! Cut the other side out and wings separated from the body now.......

• Like Like x 3
  11. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Rough mock-up of Laserbeak's proposed-wingspan in condor-mode, will spread-out to at least 16" wide if things go as planned! Brushin' up on the Dremel-skills, I'm a little rusty......cutting-disc slipped a couple times gettin back in the groove today, but overall I'm pretty happy with the seams so far otherwise. The gaps are a bit wider than I prefer, but for now, the panels are still lined-up using the existing alignment-pins inside, and should tighten-up considerably once removed and custom joints & pivots are in place. Tape-mode is 7-1/4" long, estimated-variable-wingspan will be anywhere from 16" to 18", if I can get the outer tape-flaps articulated like I want....but I'm stubborn & will make it happen!

20181027_190744.jpg 20181027_190942.jpg 20181027_190920.jpg 20181027_190054.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

This just reminds me of that comment I saw on YouTube where some kid thought G1 Soundwave was a VCR. Now you're actually making the cassettes into VHS tapes.

• Like Like x 5
  13. REM2010

REM2010 Well-Known Member

sooo cool cant wait to see it finished

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sam

Sam 212 days

News Credits:
    Might I suggest simply using a separate VHS tape, to avoid having too-big gaps? You can cut the parts you need from the second one. Just a suggestion, since they are a pretty cheap resource.

Really looking forward to seeing this all finished up! Would've loved to see you go with the Masterpiece as a base, but the G1 toys is just as awesome :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  15. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Me too, this project has gotten some REALLY great-reception so far! It's easy to get ahead of myself before I finish this one, but I'm really looking forward to tackling some other characters after this.

Great idea to use a secondary-tape, as that might be something that'll come in handy if/when I screw-up a panel on future-projects. Once the internal alignment-pins are removed and custom pivots are put into place, I'm counting on those gaps closing-up significantly in alt-mode as the panels are pushed-together, might even implement some rare-earth magnets to help draw some panels together for the tightest-fit possible if I have issues with that in some places. As much as I love the brilliant-design of the MP-Laserbeak, I'm trying to keep the transformation as simple as possible on this one & resemble the original.......but that's still tough to do, considering I really want to keep the tape-reel areas inside the windows as hollow & free from kibble as possible........so there will be a few inevitably improvised-changes that will affect the bird-mode to adapt to that. This will be his own unique-design, true to the G1-transformation as possible, but still very unique in its own way. It's fun makin-up the rules for something like this! :D  Oh, and here's a few shots of the original tape-sleeve from '98 for your viewing-pleasure- :lol 

group.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Xaran Alamas

Xaran Alamas Well-Known Member

Vacuum with Attachments doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Robots in Disguise ;) 

Also this is mad and you are mad and I love it and look forward to seeing it progress :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sam

Sam 212 days

News Credits:
    Incredible! Sounds great.

The only way this could be made better is to use an original G1 VHS, like what I had as a kid:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  18. KINGBOTZ

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Aw man, I couldn't bear to butcher one of those original TF-tapes! Using the cases to store them in would be cool-as-hell though, wonder what the availability of those are, few and far-between I'm guessing......but one thing I'd really like to be able to get is some custom cover-stickers made for the front of the tape, will def be looking into that. Might just stick a faction-logo on the front-center & call it a day......was thinking about putting one on top of Laserbeak's head like the original-tape.

• Like Like x 9
  19. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Cannot wait to see this complete! This is an excellent and fun idea for the character.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Todd Hakusho

Todd Hakusho Resident Gryphon

Ebay:
    nothing says you couldn't photoshop up a label that resembles the older G1 tapes? :p 

• Like Like x 5