Minor/Repaint: VHS Galvatron blue without Unicron

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by nemisispringer, Jun 24, 2023.

1. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    Finally! It actually matches the movie! He is NOT purple.

• Like Like x 2
  2. electronicosmosis

electronicosmosis E L E C T R O N I C O S M O S I S

I'm really curious how you painted it, in terms of technique. I have yet to acquire the necessary skill to create such smooth coverage with a brush, so I'm a fan of the spray paints. But did you tape parts off, or... any hints? This toy is incredibly frustrating to work with in that it's ALL PINS, NOT A SCREW TO BE FOUND :mad: 

3. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A spring loaded pin punch really is worth it's weight in gold, can't recommend one enough. I punch using blue tack to support the other side of the part. The shoulder I sawed the back off just above the bicep to fix it when it initially broke and it just frictions to the pin although I may glue it back but the cut is pretty much invisible. I used frog tape to mask off the face, black shoulder pauldron and treads then spray undercoated in black. The legs weren't undercoated at all and the paint is just applied straight to the plastic there.

As for the paint finish it's 1. just good quality acrylic and thin (valejo model Air artic blue) and 2. light brush coats using a size 2 brush, 2 coats for most parts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. electronicosmosis

Somebody please tell me where to find this pin punch, because I've been through several Amazon purchases at this point and whatever I have, it definitely ain't it!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :p 

5. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    Mine looks like this, it's still not perfect don't expect any to come out super easy. I also use a mini screwdriver and hammer for smaller pins but don't think I used that on this custom.
    Screenshot_20230724_082544.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. electronicosmosis

Argh! That's what I have, but it's way too big to use with those tiny pins... what exactly are people using them WITH to push the pin out safely, without breaking the plastic??...

7. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    Not sure what you're doing wrong then bud, especially to break plastic. You know you need to try and find which end of the pin is gnarled and punch the opposite side and that the pin punch only starts it off until you can get hold of the gnarled end with pliers then you just twist and pull?

There are only 3 pins I punched on the figure, the two on the sides and the one that holds the chest. Bit of a cheat I've found when reassembling as well is to cut the gnarled end off the pin with a saw before putting back together, still holds but makes it way easier to disassemble and reassemble.

8. Sharkysharky

Sharkysharky Well-Known Member

Any issues with paint chipping when you Transform him ?

9. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    Haven't transformed yet, still in the process of sealing (started with flat but need gloss as its dulled the shine) with clear coat. Think the biggest issues will be the underarms/lat pieces accordioning out.

10. nemisispringer

News Credits:
    Here you go, lovely coat of gloss has left him nice and shiny. Those lat pieces definitely need sanding down, I've sanded mine quite a bit but the left side still needs more sanding to avoid rub altogether. IMG_20230803_101438.jpg IMG_20230803_101339.jpg IMG_20230803_101254.jpg IMG_20230803_100923.jpg IMG_20230803_100917.jpg IMG_20230803_100903.jpg

• Like Like x 3