Vexed

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gingerchris, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Any UKers catch this? Just taping the one currently running but the first one last week was pretty entertaining.
    The actors work well, the humour generally hits the mark without being too over the top, and it had a pretty decent murder mystery. The diesel thing near the end was even pretty clever.
    It's just a silly detective show with a few good laughs in. Not that I expect the detective guy to become as legendary as Gene Hunt, but he sorta comes from a similar, if sideways, stable.

2. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Been a couple of years (almost to the day) but I think I'll be okay reviving this thread since the second series is currently halfway through airing. Maybe it'll get a reply this time.

I wasn't sure about the new female lead but by the end of the first episode of series two she was fitting in nicely and has enough quirks of her own to be entertaining to watch, even when in scenes by herself. I think Jack Armstrong has been toned down though and has gained a slightly more occasional sympathetic edge (crying over a nature show while laying eating chocolates on his sofa, worrying about his weight, worrying about the mannish nature of his new girlfriend) even though he's still generally an insensitive dick.
    The secondary cast have got more to do this series too and a new possibly ongoing character was introduced in episode three.

The mysteries themselves mostly take second place to the development and antics of the two leads, and their personal lives usually get more attention than their professional ones, and often you're not likely to be able to solve the crime yourself by looking at the clues throughout the episode. Most times you don't get the critical piece of information to go 'Aha!' until maybve the last five minutes. Normally in a crime show like this that would be annoying, but in this show I don't seem to mind much.
    I wish it had a much better opening sequence though. And more memorable opening music. It's trying for a retro feel but ultimately failing.

But it really is a nice change to all the serious crime drama shows we usually get here, which I'm really not much a fan of.

So, am I the only one here that's been watching any of this show, series one and two?

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Still only me then? Not even a single Brit to come into here and at least post that they thought it sucked?

Ah well. Maybe in another two years time...