Very Serious Commentary...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Delta Star, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know this will seem "too soon", and I honestly hope not to offend anyone here. This is not my intention.

The comment I would like to make, is that there are way too many Transfans dying.

One random death might be expected in a pool this size, just by chance, but so many of us are in our 30's, and there aren't enough active members of this community to account for the number of deaths we've suffered in the last few years - not based solely on the law of averages, anyway.

What I'm asking, is that we all take a long, hard look at our lifestyles. Something about the way we live our lives is inherently unhealthy. There's very little chance of getting excercise if all we do is watch TF shows, play with TF toys, draw TFs and customize figures.

So for our own sakes, let's take some of that time we're spending on this hobby and invest it in eating right, excercising more and enjoying something else in life besides just TFs. You'll find that living longer will allow you even more time to enjoy your hobby in the end.

Please, don't take offense to this. Do think about it seriously.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    :confused2  I don't know if TFs really have anything to do with what are you saying. I think it is just a more recent trend in our lifestyles. In the past we didn't have the internet the way we do now, or 900 TV channels. So alot more people are spending time sitting around, compared to in the past. So the amount of deaths probably do fit newer stats. The ratio would be getting smaller so if 10 yrs ago it was 1/1,000 people died of a heart attack it is probably like 1/200 now.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

:(  It also has much to do with just being more connected now than ever before. We're an international community with many many members, and well people die. Theres no telling the number of ex-members that have passed on that we'll never know about. While sad, its part of life.

4. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I feel you, i do. I participate in some kind of exercise 6 days a week, and i'm trying to eat better. i don't want to be another statistic. I think the decision to exercise and eat right is independent of TF-activities, not mutually exclusive. So to all you Transfans - GET OUT THERE AND DO SOMETHING!! (if you don't already do something).

oh and please keep on kitbashing :) 

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this myself. I'm thin, but the time I spend outside has seriously gone down in the past 5 years, while my hobby watching/reading/customizing has gone way up. thanks for the swift kick in the pants. with that, I'm outta here and onto my bike. :thumb 

6. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I am 34. Hopefully at my midage. I would want to see another 34 years. But, both my parents are diabetic, and I am 20 pounds overweight and with high blood pressure. Yes, I need to excercise more and eat better. But with 3 kiddos I can barely make time to excercise. Yes it takes 20 minutes but Family time is important also.

7. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    combine them, damn yoU!! :)  no, don't combine the kids. That'd be weird.

Combine family time with exercise time, at least 20 minutes worth. I can't wait to have kids to do that with. it also makes it more fun!

hell i'm 50 lbs overweight, but i will see it gone this year. one of my affirmations is "i will pass these healthy traits and habits to my wife and children".

it all comes together. you can do it ! :) 

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I've been thinking about the consequenses of customizing and kitbashing as a factor also. Inhaling toxic fumes from glue and paint is also extremely hazardous and unhealthy, so when you work with it, make sure your workspace has airconditioning or open windows take an extra coat on so you have a steady airflow. You can take permanent damage.

But with that said eat sensibly and exercise at least 30mins a day. Taking the bike to work or shopping also counts, so whenever you can get "free exercise" use it.. no one says you need to go to fitness centers etc.

9. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    Not wanting to sound like an arse but how about running around with your kids outside for an hour or two? Tossing a football around, playing baseball, tag, kickball, or just regular hide-and-go-seek?

As for me, I'm a 29-year-old, 5' 10" natural bodybuilder. I currently weigh about 193 lbs with roughly 10 to 15% bodyfat which I'm trying to cut down upon. I usually exercise by lifting weights and doing cardio 4 to 5 times a week and eat 6 to 7 small meals a day; however, I also have the advantage of being single and free as a bird. Hopefully, I'm doing alright.

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Depending on how old your kids are (but with 3, I'd assume at least one of them to be at least out of diapers) anyway, they are the perfect excuse to exercise. You can have family time and exercise time at the same time :)  Go out and play ball with them or whatever you and your kids enjoy doing together. (please dont take offence to this, it's more a suggestion than anything else)

*edit: sorry didnt mean to be one to 'gang' up on ya, after my post posted, I see the two others above saying something similar

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think in these times it is important to reflect on the things that we can do as individuals to be more healthy and to try to remember the important things in our lives.

12. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I certainly don't live my life in front of The PC and do my best to do what the doctors say.

I go out for a stroll every chance I get. I have Spinach to lower my blood pressure and sugar free snacks.

13. Maximo Prime

Ebay:
    Spinach, eh? may have to include more of that in my diet. though i must say, i prefer it raw (along with asparagus)

14. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
  15. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

s:

I can't get the music to play when I eat spinach. Have you had any better luck?

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my patients. Yes, family time is important--so important, I have to believe you'd want as many years of it as possible.

By exercising at least three times a week, for at least thirty minutes, you markedly increase your chances of having many more years with your children and any grandchildren you may eventually have.

It's an investment in your future--and like the other poster said, it's easy enough to involve your kids in exercise.

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been collecting Transformers seriously since early 1985 almost non-stop. (I did slow down in the BM era but made up for it) Anyway, after 20+ years of collecting I'm healthy @51 so it hasn't killed me yet. :D  If fact it keeps me young at heart. So I really can't see this hobby as being that much of a health impact.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm 16 going on 17 (lalala?) and I sure as hell hope my time doesn't come for about another eon or so (or hell, TWO by the time I get that old who knows wtf medicine'll be like). I'm not uber conscious about my diet/lifestyle, but I know enough to take care of myself. I exercise recreational-y (basketball, PE, a little game with my friends after school called "bruise ball", etc.) and don't over indulge on the junk food (though there's a lot of ill informed adults out there who think EVERYBODY my age is just another fat ass in the making, but hey, media for yah eh?). That's not to say I'm all healthy food though, if I'm freaking hungry (everybody here who was ever a teenager knows it) I'll eat whatever I can find in the cupboard or fridge that's not stale/spoiled/etc.
    I'm not living a bad lifestyle, nor do I ever intend to. From everything they've tried to teach me in the school health classes, I should be just fine.
    DN

19. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Will try to change my lifestyle. I love basketball and I will play it more with my friends. Take a stroll with the family outside once or twice a week. Didn't expect this much response. It is appreciated though.

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    My new year's resolution is to be more healthy actually. The problem I find is it's all too easy to get home from work and go "I can't be bothered to make a healthy meal" and cook something simple, which always ends up being bad for you. So I've put a stop to that. More fruit, more vegetables, more salads. Less crap :lol :

Also planning on starting to exercise properly shortly (I'm sick at the minute so unless I wanna stop for toilet breaks every 5 mins I'm waiting til I'm over it hehe). I know there's a few docs on the board, so correct me if I'm wrong - I know you're supposed to do 30 mins of exercise at least 3-4 times a week, but I guess you can lead up to that? ie I'm fat and there's no way on god's good earth I can manage 30 mins of exercise at the minute ;)  So my plan is to maybe start with a 10 min run every couple of days and build it up...