Veracity on a Motormaster, need opinions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by S1N, May 29, 2014.

1. S1N

S1N New Member

First of all, greetings, I am brand new here and a sort of a recent collector. I target mostly TF toys from G1, G2 and Beast Wars since those are my favorite eras of the show.

I come to you all in need of Motormaster/Menasor G1 experts who have good eyes in spotting KOs and can provide me with assistance. I caught a deal on a Motormaster online, and the dealer provided 2 pictures:

Vehicle mode
    Robot mode

The details that triggered my suspect were the blue tone on the stickers in the trailer and the black spots on the trailer's back wheels. According to what I researched, blue toned stickers were used on a Classic reissue for some markets including Europe (where I'm located), but I have not seen a Classic reissue image with those black spots on the wheels. I also was made aware that some versions of KO Motormasters, albeit with the regular purple stickers, had those black spots. On the robot mode nothing triggers suspects, since the chest mold and head paint appear normal (which is an aspect some KOs do fail to recreate perfectly).

So that's the crossroads I'm at...I can't go any further with the knowledge I have. Since you guys know way more than I do, I hope you can provide me some help here. Many thanks in advance to the community.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Welcome to tfw!
    Vehicle mode looks ok, but bot mode looks questionable. I see some shoddy molding in the plastic - especially at the hinges. Can't say for certain it's a ko, but it kinda looks like it. Fortunately there isnt any shortage of stunticons available, so if your looking to make a menasor, you shouldn't have any problems putting one together.

3. madhatprime

madhatprime Call me: Ghostprime

News Credits:
    See if he has an image of the copywrite stamp. Transformers during this era were made n Japan, and will say so on the copywrite.

4. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    It might indeed be the European 'gold box' Classic version. I bought a set of the Classic Stunticons a couple of years ago, then more recently I also bought a original G1 Stunticon giftset. When I compared the two sets, I was surprised at the significant loss of quality in the production of the later Classic Stunticons, including Motormaster. They're not KO quality and they hold up well, but the molding is still significantly less tight.
    To be honest, with pics as poor as these, it's almost impossible to be sure, but I'd expect a seller to make nmore of an effort to represent what he is selling, and in my experience poor photography of an item is often a way to disguise flaws. Like T-Logicon wrote earlier, there's plenty more Motormasters in the, eh..., sea. I'd probably pass on this one.

5. S1N

S1N New Member

Thanks everyone for your kind help and welcome. Since I was pondering way too much on this figure's veracity and the dealer really wasn't cooperating when I asked for more pics on this and other deals he had, it kinda blew my interest on the figures and on dealing with him specifically. Don't really like when dealers ignore my questions and just reply with "buy this before it's gone" all the time. Too much of a shoddy way to do business for my tastes.

But anyways, thank you very much for your insight.