Venom 2

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Wishing for a reboot

About the mid credit scene:

Just as I feared, the seem to be going with the most superficial, watered down approach to Spider-Man villains from now on, Venom included. Why give this Spider-Man his own villains when he can just use another guy’s? First his villains were all just fixated on Iron Man, and now he’s just going to be reusing villains from other versions of himself.

But Venom is the one exception. Not only has this Venom never met MCU Spider-Man in his life— he’s never met any version of Spider-Man in his life (surely Spider-Man isn’t an important part of Venom’s origin story and motivations, right?). But now I’m supposed to care that these characters are meeting each other? Why? How’s the conversation going to go down? “Haha! At last, guy I’ve never met before until I saw you on the TV, I will defeat you!” “Not if I have anything to say about it, weird black monster thing I don’t recognize!

Real riveting stuff, that is. You can actually feel the lack of any tension or character dynamic whatsoever between the two.

But it won’t matter, because you’ll still have easily pleased, normie Reddit/Twitter Marvel stans showing up and clapping for a crossover between two characters who they heard are supposed to have something to do with each other. And that’s what I’m afraid will be the case from now on. I’m all too used to it with Transformers, and now Spider-Man as well will be getting the same treatment. Very surface level understanding of the characters, followed by general audiences gobbling it up saying, “lol I’ve never read a comic book before, but I’m sure this is probably how it’s supposed to go.”

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I fear they will do something stupid like having him merge with the symbiote and get the memories of the Topher Grace version so they can add the spider-logo
    [​IMG]

5. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was pretty good. Big, fun, a little horny, it continued the first movie's feel of being like a lost 90's or early 2000's super hero movie done right. Carnage was pretty good, I'm only a comics casual, so I can't say much about how accurate he was, but I enjoyed him knowing him from animated stuff. Eddie and Venom's dysfunctional relationship was the best part of the movie. As for the post credits scene
    I'm hesitant. If they're going with a "Venom has the memories of other Venom's and is familiar with Spiderman through that" angle, it could turn out alright, but if it's just "Let's throw these two at each other and have em fight", it'll suck. I'm also hoping Venom being in the MCU isn't a permanent thing, and that he'll go back to his home universe at the end of No Way Home. I don't trust Disney with a non family friendly character like him.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't the mid credits scene explain that Venom has access to the Symbiote hive mind, which is multiversal? Hence him referring to Peter as "That guy". So Venom already knows who Spider-Man is through the hive mind while Peter has no idea who Venom is.
    Tom Hardy Venom already has access to Topher Grace Venom's memories through the hive mind, as mentioned in the mid credits scene, so that would be unnecessary

7. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

This movie was worst than the first. I can't seen myself rewatching this again. All the time Venom was fighting Carnage he didn't bite him or try to eat him one bit except the end but keeps wanting to eat brains.

8. Gaastra

News Credits:
  9. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If Venom becames stays on the MCU for good, then Disney will not touch him unless its an Avengers crossover, as his solo films will remain controlled by Sony and Sony alone.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I hope and wish they could use Knull for the third film.

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Just saw it. It’s better than the first. The movie moves fast and I kinda wish we got more time with Carnage. He didn’t feel like the serial killer. His relationship with Shriek really toned home down. But he was still a force. Venom and Eddie were goofy but highly entertaining. The movie is nothing mind blowing just a decent action movie.

My main issues were with act 3.
    I don’t like the plot point that Carnage and Cletus weren’t perfect matches. Because that’s a total opposite of what Carnage is. I also hated that they killed him off but Carnage has came back before.

For 2021 Comic Book movies I would say Venom is better than Black Widow but not as good as Shang Chi and no where near The Suicide Squad level of amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

I just saw Venom 2.

Pros:

the banter between Eddie and the symbiote
    Screwball humor
    The look of Carnage.
    Just the right length (Title of your sex tape)
    end credit scene

Neutral"

Woody as Carnage was ok as was Naomi as Shriek
    (Its interesting that we got another black actress playing a character who is stark white in the comics. Reminds me of Deadpool 2)

Cons:

Not enough action. There are quick bits here and there, but IMO there are only 2 real scenes, - Birth of Carnage and the final battle in the church.

There are some power displays that arent right with Carnage (Symbiote reveals a gaping hole where there should be Cletus flesh, creating a tornado) At one point, Kassidy kills someone and takes their outfit. Umm both Venom and Carnage can shape shift into clothes for the host. I havent read comics in 20 years and I remember that shit! Also, i dont think he threw any projectiles from his symbiote (that was a power Venom didnt have at least in the 90s)

IMO due to PG-13 Carnage doesnt seem as twisted as I would have liked. The character is one of the few out and out serial killers in Spider-man's rogues gallery and the fights should have been more visceral. Also, almost all the Venom scenes are at night. They need some at day.

Overall: This is more of a goofy comedy than a sci fi action/horror film. Whereas the first film was serious at times, this one amps up the goofiness a lot.

6/10

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole Symbiote reveals gaping hole thing was also used in Spiderman Unlimited back in the 90s on Fox Kids, in that series the Symbiotes did that all the time.

14. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Better late then never. Saw venom at theatres.

Lot of fun parts and the girlfriend and doc had some really funny scenes. Wish they had a bigger role.

As for the bad guys carnage was mixed. They toned him down from the comics but still made him deadly.

shriek was so strange without the white face makeup from the comics. She did a good job otherwise.

Also about shriek--

Surprised she was the only bad guy to live just getting trapped inside a bell. Also she was the first mcu mutant?

Also--

Did the people venom took over die or just get knocked out? The store lady and girlfriend were not harmed by venom at all. If true that's alot of innocent deaths venom did.

15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Venom and Venom 2 aren't explicitly mcu, though they are part of the mcu multiverse, so I'd say she doesn't technically count as the first mcu mutant. Also, Ursa Major showed up in Black Widow, though he was never named and didn't look like a bear, so that can always be ignored.

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:

• Like Like x 2