Velma (Scooby Doo spin off)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Perhaps a stream where participants offer witty banter and commentary on the content of the episodes would make it more tolerable? Like a MST3K stream.

3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Did someone force you or do you hate yourself?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I mean, I’m still voluntarily watching Velma as each new episode comes out. I think the answer is pretty clear…

• Like Like x 4
  5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    This is now my new favorite Scooby Doo incarnation.

I would watch 6 seasons of this, but not Velma.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  6. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

The vid didn’t show up on my browser for a bit and I thought you were referring to Velma, lol.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Maybe someone can get rifftrax to do a track

8. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Episodes 7&8:

These episodes sort of kept the picked up pace of the previous two, but they just couldn't keep themselves from throwing in more of their shitty meta humor and jabs at fans of Scooby-Doo. Show really went out of its way to have Scooby cameo as a skeleton. Also self-described itself as a "playful reimagining" and introduced a Mystery Machine stand-in while making a straight jab at the franchise's title character who might well be the most beloved. It's just that full of itself as the "better" version of Scooby-Doo.

Fog Fest was actually kind of fun because they did a chase scene with classic Scooby music and a masked bad guy... but stopped to make a stupid ass meta joke in the middle of it. Just one of the examples of how tone deaf the show is from these two. There was also a really bad fourth wall leaning gag in episode 8 that lasted like half the episode. You can tell they're dragging it out.

I've got DVDs coming in. Soon enough bile fascination will be a thing of the past. Was curious if the show would improve at some point and it sort of did but it doesn't seem to be able to keep momentum and is just too self-congratulatory for its own good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah the new episodes are out? IMDB stopped sending me notifications (again).
    Yeah Velma is something I watch in the background myself. I am busy finishing Beast Wars II and rewatching Kung Fu Panda- Legends of Awesomeness again.

I too thought it would just be 8. There is so little plot, I am not sure how they can drag out the mystery (that everyone and their aunt already figured out) for 4 more episodes.

Using the Frank Miller Batman makes it even funnier.

I didn't even notice this reference, to be honest.
    The background artists definitely are putting jokes in there that are likely unrelated to the writers. The signs of the protesting hippies had some funny lines.

Ah, thanks, did not recognize that. Jimmy Neutron is one of those popular shows I have somehow never watched

HOW is he still around? Man is a living joke. There are more videos about his sad decline than about Channel Awesome's fall.

10. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    The last time I watched one of his videos, it was about Metroid Other M, and he started it off by saying, “just listen for a minute & keep an open mind,” and then spent the next 15 minutes berating his viewers for how stupid they are for not seeing the deeeep themes of Other M & how they should feel ashamed for dumping on it.
    Then I see his Velma review & it’s literally more of the same. He hates the show like everyone, but it’s still our fault he has to talk about it. He’s the smartest guy in the room, and the rest of us are just drooling morons.

Pfft. I remember when he used to put out interesting videos. Like… 12 years ago.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Edwardmus Prime

These guys seem a little late to the party but this was a decently funny way to poke at the things wrong with the show. I especially like the jab at the shower scene that makes an actually funny meta joke. The whole show is just so pervy.

Didn't notice it was Screen Rant at first because I never watch videos from them... feels weird complementing them. It makes me wonder if this show has charbroiled my brain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's weird that it still has the Screen Rant logo because Pitch Meeting moved off of that channel last year I think.

14. Edwardmus Prime

That's pretty weird. Never heard of Pitch Meetings before either. Their shtick seems decent for stuff like this show that is just so thoroughly ill conceived.

15. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Different channel but it’s still owned and ran by the same people IIRC. A lot of youtubes have multiple channels for different types of content.

16. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I only learned now... apparently that red haired guy who plays the tuba in the band, whose leg Fred accidentally cut off in the first episode? He is voiced by Weird Al. What a major waste of a great voice actor, on such a forgettable role.

His humor is always great.

Which is great, because this way I can watch the channel only for his videos and not see all the Screen Rant videos I do not care about.

LOOOL. Seems like he, like the Bourbons, learned nothing and repeated everything.
    And defending Other M, really? The show that turned a badass female character into an over-emotional crybaby and reinvented her background out of the bat? There are better hills to die on.
    But I get you, I am still watching Doug Walker after all. He has never gotten as funny as he used to be, but at least he sometimes gets close to it... and he does not insult his viewers like Bob

• Like Like x 4
  17. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pitch Meetings is one of my favorites. Go watch their episode on Wednesday. He nails it!

• Like Like x 2
  18. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im stillupset with myself it took me so long to click on one of the pitch meeting videos, when they would pop up.

19. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! If I couldn't hate this woman anymore then I already do for bringing us this show now I'm hearing this...

"Tell anyone and you are fired": 'Velma' Star Mindy Kaling Forced a Kiss on Co-Star Without Consent, Threatened to Fire Him if He Sued Her - FandomWire

“I improvised just kissing [Lee Pace] in the scene, which was not in the script. He was just looming above me, and he asked me a question, I was not listening to him at all because who cares what he was saying, and I was just like ‘mhmm, mhmm,’ [and kissed him]. And well, he reacted [shocked] and I pretended it didn’t happen, and then I walked backstage [where] we have two writer-producers.

And they’re like, “Hey man, what are you doing?! You could be sued for that!” And I got very scared and I said, “Tell anyone, and you’re fired.” I think he might have been like did-it-happen-or-did-it-not so I just didn’t need our side to confirm it or anything.”

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If a guy did that to a girl these days.....
    But she's fine with it it?
    No wonder he turned Blue and tried to destroy a planet. [Joke](He's also Ronin from Guardians of the Galaxy)

• Like Like x 4