Velma (Scooby Doo spin off)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi.

Wasn't trying to bait anyone. Just broke into the endless stream of hate to say I enjoyed what I'd seen so far. Nor did I insult anyone for not liking it. I get how it's not for everyone, but the constant stream of negativity seemed more like a bandwagon than actual critique.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:

• Like Like x 6
  3. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

d150c3133388791.Y3JvcCwyODc1LDIyNDgsMCw5NzQ.jpg
    If you think about we already had a mature take on the franchise Scream and Scooby have a lot in common
    Not trying to be a bummer but man I miss MCD he was the voice of my childhood also made a nice Kingpin among other things

• Like Like x 5
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeaaah. Going to have to call bullshit on that. Especially when you lead with this:

And ended with this:

If you weren't attempting to insult anyone or bait anyone then you'd have just left it with the part where you actually talked about liking the show. The rest is clearly either bait or veiled insults. Hell, even your post here where you're trying to claim differently by saying none of us complaining in this thread are doing so due to legit criticism and that we are on some kind of bandwagon is implying that we can't come to the decision that this show is a piece of shit with our own brains and are just following a trend. If you like the show, more power to you. You are more than free to do so. But get the fuck out of here with the rest of that nonsense and especially trying to claim that you didn't mean anything by what you said initially. If you're going to dunk on a bunch of posters then at least have the balls to own it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  6. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    TLDR, paywall. What’s the line they crossed THIS time?

• Like Like x 1
  7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    According to the story, “The show’s real problem is its attitude toward viewers.”

They don’t think it’s edgy; it’s just mean.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Man now even V-tubers are calling out how bad Velma is. I don't think this is going well for them

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok I think I cracked the case.

So Velma’s backstory is that she’s so good at solving mysteries, that she ruined Christmas by finding all her own presents, which was all detective gear.
    Her mom decides to go to the store to get a new present for Velma.
    She disappears, leaving behind an empty car.

I think she succeeded & the “present” that she got Velma was an ultimate, real-life mystery. She faked her own disappearance to give Velma a seriously hard mystery to solve. And being that all the parents in this show are kind of reprehensible, it wouldn’t surprise me if ditching her family for 2 years to play Hide & Go Seek was okay in her book.

The dead bodies popping up would seem to be directly related to her mom. Could be that she’s getting tired of waiting to be found, and sees that most everyone has moved on with their lives. So she starts stuffing dead bodies in Velma’s locker, and at her home, framing her & forcing her to take up mystery solving again.

And maybe she’s targeting the hot girls, as a way to get revenge on all those who bullied Velma. Daphne will undoubtedly become a target at some point, especially now that she & Velma are friends again (for dramatic purposes).

Not sure if the stuff with Crystal Caverns, the mental asylum or Norville’s mom & dad play into it yet, or if that stuff is related to Velma’s mom, Daphne’s parents, or something else.

Anyway, that’s all I got for now.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    -Makes a joke saying the only adults who watch cartoons are lazy stoners.

-Is a cartoon meant for adults to watch

The lack of self-awareness is astonishing.

Also anyone else getting more than a little sick of the "wink wink nudge nudge" meta Humor that it seems every show feels the need to do now? I swear it seems every show needs to constantly acknowledge they are a show now and it's getting very tiresome.

• Like Like x 6
  11. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    3. No Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars. Political jokes and links to news stories with a political nature are off limits. Logos, icons, symbols, and any other type of visual representation that can spur socio-political arguments are off limits.

Also, back on topic.

12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Um...

o_O 

• Like Like x 6
  13. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    There's a few reasons it's seen as the weakest of those four movies, generally people see it as inferior because of the visible drop in animation quality (looking more like What's New than Zombie Island's animation), there being less of a mystery this time around (the virus, who likes baseball, was made by the guy who likes baseball!) and kinda squandering the virtual world aspect with the various worlds just being seen in a montage.

Also it may just have been simple burn out, this was the fourth movie and didn't have the terror of ZI, the Hex Girls of WG or the... um... honestly the alien one is pretty forgettable.

CyberChase (not to be confused with the cartoon Cyber Chase) sorta represents the start of a new era of SD, one that slowly shied away from taking risks and fell into more of a formulaic style that ZI deconstructed.

• Like Like x 4
  14. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

I can't decide if that sounds insanely dumb for a plot or insanely good but VERY badly executed.

• Like Like x 4
  15. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, this made me laugh. :D 

Having recently rewatched Airplane (again), this is just great.
    I can hear all the Velmas saying "Get yourself together, the world does not revolve around you!"

Because this is a TREND. This has happened to other shows.
    Teen Titans Go (and via that, Batman). Thundercats. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Star Trek.
    Do you think it will stop here? Don't you realize one of these days, one of these talentless hack comedians will come who has some CEO relative at Hasbro and then we will get a Transformers show like this, too? When they come for something YOU too like, you will realize too late you stayed silent when this happened to other franchises.

You do know - or rather, the creator of that video has to know - that HBO Max can just SAY this was the biggest premier opening ever, right? They hold the stats, nobody else has access to it. They can basically say and pretend whatever they want. It's the same like how Amazon insists Rings of Power was doing great and all.

I think Doug is OK at best. He never got as funny as he was in his pre-bigtime days, but he has his moments. I am still subscribed to his stuff, but it's like... things I watch when I have watched every other reviewer's new stuff on my list.

16. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yes they are leaving at the end of January. I read it on World's Finest, they are a very reliable source when it comes to DC animation.
    Justice League, Batman: The Brave and The Bold off HBO Max

I sure prefer physical media. It doesn't take up huge space, since I only buy things I really like and would rewatch in this format.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

The first two eps I watched were garbage, so I resigned myself from this series (and this thread), but after peeking in and seeing all of this back and forth, morbid curiosity is getting the better of me. I might watch the next couple of shows for S&G's. [sarcasm]Plus, who could resist two roaches going at it?[/sarcasm]

• Like Like x 3
  18. bellpeppers

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm going to sit and wait for the eventual day American animators and writers reinvent the likes of "One Piece", "Neon Genesis Evangelion", and "Dragon Ball Z" as the superior takes.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

The thing is, I don't even mind reinventions. There have been some pretty decent reinventions over the years, like that 2011 Thundercats comes to mind. Blood Plus is a reinvention of Blood: The Last Vampire, which is vastly superior to the original. Although, I do like the original too.

The problem here, is that these reinventions all the seem to be the exact same idea. Taking a well known property, setting it in high school, and then making our heroine the bestest brightest person ever, and everyone else sucks ass. This is actually what I thought Wednesday was going to end up being. Thankfully, while it did use some of the those elements, it used them to it's narrative advantage, rather than just shoving things in here and there, and making the dullest character in history. Over, and over again, with these protagonists. I said it before, but this idea IS basically just Gotham High, or I Am Not Starfire, all over again. And, it appears, this show is likely what Powerpuff Girls was going to be for the CW, except at least that wasn't set in high school. Although, I still think it's a mistake to set Powerpuff Girls as anything higher than elementary school students. A lot of their appeal IS that they are little girls. You take that away, and it really wouldn't be all that special.

Velma is just a repeat of an already bad idea. An idea that's been the ONLY idea major western media companies seems to have these days. But, that alone doesn't make them bad shows, on top of all that, no they had to make this one a comedy. A comedy in which appears only 2 people have enjoyed in this thread. And, good for both of them! I am glad two people out of the thousands of people on this forum, found entertainment and enjoyment out of this show. But, god damn, I tried so hard to like it too. Wow was it a chore to sit through. Just hitting you with one unfunny joke after another, all while 'proudly' displaying highly sexualized naked 15 year olds.

The only positive thing I can say about it, is that the animation itself, isn't too bad. The animation itself is pretty decent, and is doing it's job well. It's just too bad that all this effort is wasted here, when it could have been used to create new things, instead of just rehashing all the same failed ideas of the past 5 years into another failed show. Sure, it might be greenlit to have a second season, but after that, I'm sure it'll die a slow and painful death. As the audience just melts away, in search for other, better things to watch instead.

Edit: Here's a possible different take on the Velma High School Drama:

FnMBxzoWYAw3PXI.jpg

I'll take wild guess and say, people would love this one a lot more.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 6