Heavy/Scratch: Various mods (of mods), custom stuff

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ziltama, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ziltama

ziltama Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    13. Copies of Siege WFC blast effects parts in different colors.

Made clear resin copies of the orange juice blast effects from Fracas and painted them in style of Decepticon purple blast colors. I didn't use an airbrush. I also didn't have clear purple spray paint either. I had the point of the blast effect pointed at the spray can to give the gradient effect. Did first pass with clear red tamiya spray paint, 2nd pass with clear blue tamiya spray paint, and then did 2 clear coats to protect the color. I think my clear resin may be starting to go bad as I made 6 molds and only 2 were intact after pulling out the pieces after heat treating.

IMG_0941.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. ziltama

News Credits:
    IMG_0942.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. ziltama

News Credits:
    13b. Orange version for Autobot color theme. The 2nd photo shows the original on the left and the new ones on the right for comparison. Currently working on copying Lionizer's sword effects for Springer's blades.

The blast effects connector is a 5mm peg on the outside and a 3mm port on the inside. For the resin copies I made, the 5mm connection remained tight but the 3mm connection became too tight. I do have metric drill bits (hardware stores don't usually carry them but there's a Grainger nearby where I drove by to pick up a set) and used the 3mm drill bit to make the copy fit.

Edit: Used Tamiya clear orange spray paint for 2 passes and then 2 clear coats.

IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ziltama

News Credits:
    13c. Blade effects copied from Lionizer's blast effects piece.

Since Springer's blades have the same ports as some of the melee weapons (of course, he doesn't come with anything to put on them), copied Lionizer's effects piece to use on him. The ports on the copied pieces ended up being too tight, so I used a 3mm drill bit on the circle holes and used a 2.5mm drill bit for the rectangle slot (done by hand and not by a drill to avoid unintentional damage). Used Tamiya clear blue spray paint (2 passes and then 2 clear coats). Megatron's blade just has the rectangle ports.

IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  5. ziltama

News Credits:
    WIP / Other Misc.

I tried to copy some Gundam effects parts. Unfortunately for the part I really wanted to copy, the silicone kept sticking to the plastic (had an odd texture), so couldn't make copies. I had added 5mm pegs to the effects parts. The base color was clear yellow. Tried to make it orange but somehow turned somewhat more red than orange. Worked OK this way (see on Prime picture here). Tried to make a second one purple but failed miserably (not shown); I may end up dunking that part in Windex and then use a toothbrush to get the acrylic off before painting it like Prime's (and then use on Galaxy Prime). There's a smaller blast effect that I'm trying out (which did not stick to the silicone) but the parts are ending up crooked (not shown either). Supposed to get Jetfire soon, so will try to make copies of those blast effects.

I'm making a new custom part for CW Shockwave to allow anyone to hold him (see on Megatron's arm here). I heavily modified the Perfect Combiner add-on piece for Shockwave (part was too big and made Shockwave too long for a combiner to hold) and added a 5mm peg. Made a new mold of this and going to make a clear purple version later.

Got the Boku trailer as I saw it was supposed to have adapters for various Primes. However, didn't have a MP-10 compatible connector. We have the legendary Bumblebee Optimus (larger scale official evasion-mode Prime only released in Japan) which interestingly has MP-10 trailer ports. So, starting to make an adapter for that.

IMG_0956.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

Quite good.

7. ziltama

News Credits:
    14. Custom trailer hitch for Legendary Optimus Prime to fit Boku BK-02 trailer.

Legendary OP is an official Japan-only supersized Evasion-mode Prime, which has the MP10 trailer connector. The silver version of the BK-02 trailer came with an adapter to fit other primes but not the MP10 style connector. So, I made a custom rotating hitch to fit Legendary OP.

These are some pictures of the process I went through. Molding putty is usually awful stuff to copy Transformers parts but useful in a case like this to make a negative mold of the connector port on Prime. When the putty cured, I cut it down near the size I wanted. Then I made a silicone mold of that and then finally made a plastic copy of the connector part. Sanded and cut it down to size. Carefully drilled holes of 2 sizes to let a flat hit nail sit to act as an anchor in the new connector piece. There are flat head nails with extra ribs to grip materials better. Used a nut and washer to act as a spacer. Cut the nail down to size and used epoxy to keep the tip in place (the ribs also help the epoxy as well). Had to cut out the original trailer peg in order for Prime to fit. Tested and works perfectly. Prime can rotate a little more than 180 degrees from left to right. The trailer clearance for Prime was just a little short, so I used some rubber spacers where the wheel unit attached to the trailer to make everything level. Now all the wheels touch and move along the ground.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. ziltama

News Credits:
    This is also a picture of the silicone mold I used to make the new black adapter piece. Needed to use mold release spray on the purple cured silicone putty, otherwise, the poured silicone will bond to it permanently and ruin everything. I poured black resin in it to make the piece.

silicone.jpg

Starting to make a cape for the Matrix Workshop add-on for Siege Starscream. Had to learn how to sew again.

cape.jpg

Also copying the blast effects parts from Jetfire. Hopefully, these will turn out good and I'll color one set purple.

Made a copy of the Toyhax fin piece in anticipation for Thundercracker, who should have arrived today, but I guess the postal service didn't feel like delivering it.

tailfin.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  9. ziltama

News Credits:
    This is an example of a transparent casting fail. Despite castling all 3 of these at the same time from the same resin batch and had high enough pressure in the pressure pot, the one on the right still ended up with bubbles...very annoying. I could attempt to fix it by injecting the bubbles with more clear resin and then sanding / buffing afterward, but it would just take a lot less effort to just cast again. The two on the left ended up perfect and will start applying transparent paints to those. One of these is the Lionizer effect and the other two are from Jetfire.

clear.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Going by all of this including the pics and reading of your knowledge of it all, Kiiiinda seems like you do like making custom stuff, and like maybe your son isn't the only one that is a big fan of transformers figures. ;) 
    There's no shame in it. I'm over 40 with 3 girls that don't care about Transformers at all, so I couldn't reasonably claim custom work and collecting is just for my kids if I wanted to.
    I just enjoy action figures and transformers are the most fun ones IMO.

11. ziltama

News Credits:
    Yep. I guess I would like it more if it didn't wreck my hands so much. The pressure pot in particular (and racing against time to get everything in) does a number on my hands. I just don't like to half-ass do things. I used to build PG Gunpla back in the day, so some of this stuff is not too hard for me. I only got into molding and casting recently after watching some youtube vids and thought I could do that but on smaller scale for TF related stuff. Definitely helped in fixing some of the various toys my son broke.

12. ziltama

News Credits:
    Getting closer to getting the cape done. 2-tone and poseable. About 80-85% done. Need to give my hands a break from being a pincushion.

cape.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Reaper6

Reaper6 Sniper

Could you post some of the repairs you've done? I always like seeing that sort of thing.

14. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

Well you certainly seem to be quite skilled at it.

15. Charlock

Charlock Well-Known Member

@ziltama makes a post to show off customs. Turns into master class of molds and casting.

Well done! Very impressive work!

16. ziltama

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot.

I have some other ideas for projects but time is always a factor.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ziltama

News Credits:
    The waist peg on the first page with Battle Core Optimus was one of the more extensive ones I've done. Normally, that would be considered a catastrophic toy failure and would go in the trash. Most of the others I didn't take pics during the progress, but I can post some others later.

18. Reaper6

Reaper6 Sniper

thanks!

19. ziltama

News Credits:
    13d. Smashdown's blast effect made from clear resin, transparent orange Tamiya spray paint, and clear coats.

The version I made is on the left and the original orange juice blast effect is on the right.

smashdown.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  20. Reaper6

Reaper6 Sniper

That looks way better translucent

• Like Like x 1