Valve's Steam Console Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by MaxLinden, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
  2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say they are numbered for most people, but for me they are.

I love this idea, and highly doubt I will be participating in the next round of consoles. If I miss out on some Sony exclusives, so be it.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I doubt Sony or Microsoft's days are numbered. While to us PC "consoles" for our TVs is a great idea, PS3's and Xboxs are still a lot of people's first choice when it comes to gaming.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to buy one. (provided it's not ass-expensive) I've wanted a Steam console forever, and playing on a computer just doesn't do it for me. Nothing beats sitting on the couch, turning on a machine, picking up the controller and just playing.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've pretty much abandoned consoles at this point for Steam, so giving it console capability would be the nail in the coffin for Playstation and X-Box personally. I probably can't say the same for Nintendo because of Metroid, but those come out so rarely now and the last one was crap.

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Will I buy valves console. Yes. I don't think games should cost 60 dollars today. Steam gives us new games for amazingly cheap prices on sale days.

I think valve can be a force to knock out a company. Sony is not doing so well as compared to Nintendo and Microsoft. Nintendo rules the portable while Microsoft rules home consoles.
    IMO Sony might be the new sega. Sega ruling spot was filled by Microsoft when sega turned 3rd party. Valve can take Sony spot. Valve already has loyal fans.

Plus I can see valve holding out on hl3 for this reason. It going to be a kick off game for the tv computer.

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Same.

I think $40 should be the max.

8. User Name

User Name Micro-Khan

Ebay:
    Man i hate what it takes to get a game to run nicely on a pc. Between amd/ nvidea drivers , direct x11 issues ,windows 7N issues, drm issues it just a pain, give me a console any day. next gen cant come soon enough.

i agree they should be in the $80 range at least considering what genesis,snes games cost.
    i remember shoveling snow all winter to be able to buy either a contra or castlevania game it was around 60.

9. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I think this is one of the reasons they're making the steambox. A lot of people hate the complexity attached with PC gaming(though personally I think people are just being lazy) and so this will help sneak Steam to the living room.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    From the article:
    And that's the problem with this whole idea. No absolute standard. a PS3 is a PS3, a 360 is a 360, a WiiU is a WiiU. There's minor variations like hard drive sizes, and some games might need a special controller, but you know you can buy a console and a game for that console, and it will work pretty much perfectly. How many steam consoles will there be? What will the differences between them be?

Too many variations in the system will confuse and intimidate users, unsure of what they need to play what game. If valve does enforce hardware standards as far as graphic cards, memory, and processor speed like they suggest in the article then congrats, it's just another console. One that's offered from various companies, like the 3DO. That is not a comparison you want people to be able to make. People will be confused about that. Letting different companies release this thing is going to confuse people, and that idea alone could kill this platform.

More importantly, what would their upgrade strategy be? How often will people have to buy new versions of the hardware to play new games due to the rapid advancements with PC games hardware requirements?

I love Steam, I use it almost every day. But I'm not seeing anything to get excited about here.

11. User Name

User Name Micro-Khan

Ebay:
    Y
    I don't think it has to do with being lazy its more of being tired of the hassle. Heck I build and oc my own PC's so i comfortable with hardware and competent with software. Lastest example I have saints row 3rd I can't get it to run in dx11 . After some research found out many had the problem and after trying many different things ,i finally said screw it and ran in dx9 . It may be laziness but its more frustration and looking through the steam forums there is allot out there. Maybe they just got tired of all those threads of people asking for help.