Using slime to clean toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MC Rap Throne, Oct 26, 2021.

1. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I've seen products similar to that for cars. They always feel like they leave a residue to me though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sophora

sophora Well-Known Member

I have that antibacterial slime that's used to clean keyboards that work well for dust. It's pretty handy to have around for photos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Just get a good clean makeup brush or paint brush.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

It looks a bit cumbersome, or maybe it works fine and I don't know. I just use makeup brushes.

6. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    What if I used just water…? Lol honestly someone answer me

• Like Like x 1
  7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    You will damage stickers and push dirt into small hard to reach areas where it can gather and be hard to remove.

Best prevention is a glass cabinet and keep figures away from damp as that makes the dust stick. Best cleaner is a make up brush.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You also run the risk of causing rust if it seeps into screws/pins and isn't dried properly. (though I don't know how long/quickly it'd take)

A dehumidifier is a collector's best friend if you have a dedicated room for display.

• Like Like x 2
  9. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

AIN'T NUTHIN' WRONG WITH BEING A GROWN ADULT MALE IN THE MAKE-UP AISLE AT TARGET TO BUY A $3 FAN BRUSH TO CLEAN THE DUST OFF YOUR TRANSFORMERS WITH.

For real though, slime? If I buy a toy loose/complete, say, off a member from here, then I give it a quick wash with warm water and soap when it ships in. Otherwise it's a fan brush to dust.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sparx94

Sparx94 Well-Known Member

I just use a larger artist paint brush for dusting the body then a tiny one for getting in the details. Speaking of which, the shelves are due for a very thorough dusting...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

Most people go out of their way to keep known chemicals/substances/oils/etc. away from collectibles/toys/etc. so, I'm not sure why anyone would want to put a proprietary substance made of who knows what into direct contact with those types of objects or anything else. It was bad enough when everything was ABS (which oil/sebum doesn't affect) but now nylon, POM (which you absolutely don't ever want to see start photo-degrading because it's a sign it's becoming brittle and any chlorine source will set that in motion), plastics with plasticizers, and other materials are often used on a single toy. Anything porous enough to grab dust and make it vanish is also porous enough to pull in and leach out anything and everything that is possibly can. It would be different if it was a highly malleable "Cleaner" made entirely out of low shore/durometer (strength) platinum cure silicone and if you kept it away from any materials with plasticizers as well as rubber/latex because, platinum cure silicone is functionally nonporous (it's impossible for bacteria/etc. to be anywhere other than the exterior surface and you can boil it, clean it with a 10% bleach solution, and use rubbing alcohol on it) since it's inert and it would grab the dust via static electricity because platinum cure silicone is a dust magnet.