Uses of the Shockwave/Astro Magnum/Galactic Man Mold [ID and Photo Guide]

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rael, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Rael

Rael Shameless Armada Fan

Currently 16 Variations

Hello, all. As I love me some graywaves, I've taken on a rather ambitious project: indexing all known variations of the Shockwave/Astro Magnum/Galactic Man mold seen on the internet and compiling a handy photo guide. Given the insane popularity of this mold, the job may never be completely done.

I've come across partial lists over the years, but I'm aiming for as complete a reference as possible. If you know of or are in possession of any version not listed here, please leave a comment or drop me a PM--with (decent quality) pictures if at all possible. All significant variations in figure deco and/or packaging are appreciated. Also, if you own any versions depicted here and have corrections, confirmations, or additions for the table, please share. (Let’s get rid of those question marks!) Thank you! General comments and discussion are also welcome and encouraged, of course. :)  I’ll be seeking out individual answers from figure owners myself over time, but this compilation seemed like a good place to start.

For convenience’s sake, the term “KO” is being used for any variants not licensed by toyco, the original company behind the mold.

Photos start in the second post and are identified with the letter assigned to each variation. I have given photo credit wherever possible; some photos have been cropped for better visibility. If your photo appears here and you would like it removed, let me know via PM and I will comply promptly (though I do ask you to please consider letting it stay, as photos of some of these variations are extremely difficult to come by).

[​IMG]

Regarding Common Misconceptions:
    As you can see, many toys go by the name “Astro Magnum” on their boxes. As far as I know, the ONLY non-bootlegs of this group are those with the toyco logo on their packaging, or who completely fit the description given for “A” in the case of loose figures. To my knowledge, these are the only true, official “pre-Transformers Shockwave” toys. (Other licensed versions were produced concurrently with the Transformers release or afterward.) Note that it has a unique trademark stamp (no "© 1983").

“Shackwave” is a misnomer when applied to any figure other than the officially licensed Galactic Man. This was the only one of the figures actually sold at Radio Shack.

Common Condition Issues - No matter what version of the mold you're buying, these are some common condition issues to keep an eye out for:
    - Cracking in the rubber hose
    - Stress marks, cracking, or broken pieces in the hip area
    - Nonfunctional electronics
    - Missing tip of gun arm
    - Missing gun mode barrel
    - Missing battery cover
    - Snapped off upper elbow (though, if all pieces are present, this is easily repaired with super glue)
    - Collapsing legs that no longer secure in place when fully extended
    - Backpack kibble that won't stay up due to looseness in the base joint

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Rael

A - Astro Magnum (Licensed)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Gamblor916 @ OzFormers]
    [​IMG]
    Earliest Variation of the Trademark Stamp [Photo Credit: Gamblor916 @ OzFormers]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: cHawk1a @ eBay]
    [​IMG]
    American Packaging Variant [Photo Credit: Shakira @ TFW2005]

B - Astro Magnum (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

C - Astro Magnum (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: toystoystsoys4 @ eBay]

D - Astro Magnum (KO)
    [​IMG]
    Damaged hip piece [Photo Credit: PhantasmNight @ eBay]
    [​IMG]
    Damaged hip piece [Photo Credit: ConteDDracula @ GiocattoliVecchi.com]

E - Astro Magnum (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: ConteDDracula @ GiocattoliVecchi.com]
    [​IMG]
    Light Gray Variant (Damaged Elbow) [My Own Photo]

F - Galactic Man (Licensed)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: TFSource.com]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: TFSource.com]

G - Laser Wave/Handarm Passes (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: 1UpCheatachu @ TFW2005]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: ToyHell.com]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: ToyHell.com]
    [​IMG]
    Packaging Variant [Photo Credit: ConteDDracula @ GiocattoliVecchi.com]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Rael

H - N-4-SR (Licensed?)
    While a few people have referred to this version as “officially licensed” or “apparently licensed,” I’m unsure where this claim originated. While the packaging certainly makes this release seem more above-board than most, if anyone could confirm where the knowledge that this toy (or the Convert-a-Bots line as a whole) is licensed came from, it would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: brad4j @ TFW2005]
    [​IMG]
    Pre-Retail Packaging Variant [Photo Credit: Nala @ PlasticCrack.net]

I - N-4-SR (Possible test shot; licensed?)
    This is the only known instance of this color scheme of N-4-SR, while multiple examples of the gray-with-purple-accents version exist. It seems likely that this is a test shot inside a packaging sample, but it’s extremely difficult to say for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Waggster @ TFW2005]

J - Robot Fighting Gun (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [My own photo]
    [​IMG]
    [My own photo]

K - Robot-Gun (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Nerdling @ TFW2005]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: SureShot90 @ TFW2005]

L - Robot Pistol (KO)
    [​IMG]
    Damaged hip piece [My own photo]
    [​IMG]
    [My own photo]

M- Shockwave (Licensed)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: TFW2005 Image Galleries]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: unmc2001 @ TFW2005]

N - Shockwave (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Joopsta @ TFW2005]
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Joopsta @ TFW2005]

O - Spark Man (KO)
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: Logicfry @ TFW2005]

P - Super Gun (KO)
    I have only found a photo of the box for this figure with no accompanying photo of the toy itself. As the decos of KO versions of the Shockwave mold frequently vary from their box art, I have no confirmation on what the figure that comes inside this box actually looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [Photo Credit: ConteDDracula @ GiocattoliVecchi.com]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rael

[Reserved]

5. Rael

Just a heads-up in case anyone was eying the listing--there's a guy on eBay passing off a boxed KO Astro Magnum as the real deal. Still a cool piece, but people should be clear on what they're buying.

Messaged him to make see if it was intentional, since it was likely he just didn't know the difference, but no response or change to the item description so far.

6. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome list! Great comprehensive guide. LOve the little wings on one of them!

Regarding "L - Robot Pistol (KO)" - I might be wrong, but here in Europe this is called "Galaxy Gun" - it's identical otherwise, even the box. I have a boxed one, will try to check and send you some pics if it is different.

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster UVAVU

News Credits:
    Fascinating, I never knew there were so many KOs.

8. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Love this thread, surely I can dig out some that you haven't got...I know we had one in the UK in a store called Tandy, an electronics store, and that was official. It was Toyco stamped and even had a sticker on the toy saying something like "Tandy", damn I had a picture not even a week ago.

EDIT found it!

Vtg Toyco Shackwave Radio Shack Galactic Man G1 Transformer Grey Shockwave Tandy | eBay

There was also a lovely red white and blue Astro Magnum KO, I'll try and dig those pictures out at home as well.

All the best
    Maz

9. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Wow, this is an interesting article Rael. I had no idea how many variations and KOs there were for just Astro Magnum. I never had a true "Transformers" Shockwave but I had Shackwave that my great-grandmother got me at the local Radio Shack. I was hoping one day to rebuy a true Shackwave to replace the one I originally had but was under the misconception it was also an "Astro Magnum". Thanks to this article, when I'm ready to, Ill look for "Galactic Man" instead of Astro Magnum. :) 

10. Rael

Pics would be great! If all the figure details on the chart are the same as L, I can list it as a packaging variant.

Thanks! The Tandy Galactic Man and the Radio Shack one should be identical except for the logo on the box, paperwork, and stickers, but I need to go ahead and add photos of those variations when I get a chance.

The red, white, and blue one sounds awesome! Please do share the photos if you come across them. :) 

11. Sylent

Sylent Haslab Unicron: 8,000+ backers - 0 days remaining

I never knew there were so many "Knockwaves." I had the grey Knockwave when I was a kid. It was purchased from an Import Store called Big D in San Jose, CA. I used to love browsing around in that store as they had all kinds of cool Japanese action figures.

12. Napjr

Napjr Mr. Internet Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Attached Files:

13. Rael

Good stuff! The orange variant of the Laser Wave/Handarm Passes guy is definitely new to me, so I'll add both packaging versions when I get a chance. :) 

14. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Great thread! I had not seen many of these variants before. Very interesting pieces, thanks very much for gathering these in one place! I love Shockwave, he was one of my earliest Transformers toys and he still remains one of my all-time favorites.

I recently took my beat-up childhood Shockwave, and got a broken up vintage Shockwave. I'm about the least handy person I know, but after a few hours of work I was able to put together a working vintage Shockwave. Great stuff. Now maybe Takara will give us an official MP Shockwave?

15. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I have pics of this one too. I spent 3 hours trying to find it but came up empty. Found a bunch of other stuff I forgot about tho. :) 

16. Chucez

Chucez Well-Known Member

I have to say, this thread has given me an appreciation for all of the bootleg/generic/knock off brand toy variants that are out there. I remember seeing those at the swap meet,or the toy section of the local grocery store and thinking, "Ewww, who'd wanna buy that?" (because I was, and still am, fairly brand conscious.).

Seeing this collection of Shockwave variants is going to make me reserve those judgements in the future. Thanks for opening my eyes.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Interesting that the Has/Tak Transformers version is one of the only ones to tone down the phallic nature of the gun trigger.

18. triKlops

triKlops New England Transformers Collectors Group member

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Just found this thread last night through a google search; amazing work here.
    Between the chart and the pic breakdown, this is a spectacular resource for buyers/ collectors who need informational gaps filled before a purchase is made.
    Going to use this as a reference for a possible purchase today.
    Thanks again!

19. Luke Folkard

Luke Folkard New Member

Okay. I think I have a variation not listed above. It succumbed to rubber rot on the hose today sadly. I've had it since 85. From memory it was in the original Astro Magnum box. Has the original Astro Magnum decals. Light pink clear bits. Die cast. No stamp inside leg though. No red eye. Although I made it red with permanent marker as a kid. Got it in an Australian store. 14984677646551614283065.jpg 14984678056411269384682.jpg 14984678448231894163326.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That dude with the winged red weapons and the small wings on the barrel (Robot Gun) looks awesome. What is the story of that one?