US Patent Office strips Washington Redskins of all Trademarks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 03Mach1, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I just question, especially after talking with my Native American friends, where this even gets used as a slur in modern society (and I'd say the same for yellow). One of my friends is in his mid 50's and has never heard it. He asked my son, who is 12 and knows nothing of the controversy, what a Redskin was and his first answer was "football team' so he asked what else and his next answer was 'proud warrior'. We tried this again with several other kids and got the same response. My friend's mom lives on a reservation and his interest was piqued enough to talk to her about the subject and no one there saw the team name as offensive, nor had they heard Redskin used that way, there were stories about the past but none of them could ever recall an incident in their lifetimes. Maybe some Cowboy, Giant or Eagle fans use Redskin as an insult, but it sounds like it's pretty rare in modern society, or ironically may be more COMMON thanks to a small group claiming it's insulting.

The great phillosopher George Carlin said a lot about the power of words, but more importantly about the context we use words in. Taken completely free of context, the name Redskin with the image of the Redskin's logo seems to conjure up nothing but possitive imagery. As a kid myself I though of Redskin as a prideful term. So, if we no longer use a term as an insult, and in many cases have not only stripped the term of any power, but flipped it to a much more possitive term, when to we tell a small fraction of a minority to relax?

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm assuming the "to an extent" is largely a Western geographical thing, perhaps around reservations. Cause it's just a term that I've never heard in my entire life for use against Indians. I've heard "Injuns" far more, but still fewer times.

Personally, I see the usage as something of a good thing. The term "redskin" is becoming more and more associated with a football team than it is as a pejorative term against a group of people that suffering real economic and cultural problems.

Rather than focusing on a term that may or may not hurt our feelings, and makes WASPs feel bad cause their ancestors weren't super-duper caring and sharing people, maybe they should do more to actually help these people.

And yes, I know about the recent visit. But I'll believe the promises when I see them enacted.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always thought of the Seminoles, Braves, Redskins and other sports teams as a tribute to the heritage of Native Americans. Truthfully, if it wasn't for the exposure of those teams, I'd bet many young people wouldn't have a clue what those names even represent.

4. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

The true crime here is how can a government take away someones trademark? That's wrong on so many levels but I won't go any further for obvious reasons. Go REDSKINS!

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    So educational.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool, you have a relatively small sample size of people who aren't personally offended by a term with an objectively established use in the past in denigrating and dehumanizing people based on their ethnicity. That's the thing, as terms fall out of favor in terms of direct use, and/or get co-opted by their usual targets (see also: the n-word), and/or receive different, more complicating connotations. But at least for myself in this case, I'm not going to fault someone or a group of people for looking at a term with a history like this one and thinking maybe it doesn't have a place attached to a major league sports team that gets national airplay.

Also, the thing is, that even the positive implications of "redskins" as "proud warriors" ties into ethnic stereotyping.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never once said educational.

Sports teams could have easily picked generic names or some random animal but instead they chose to honor a group that signifies the heritage of the local area. Terrible, I know.

8. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Go where? From what I can tell, they've had 3 wildcard victories over the past 20 years. Man, that's pathetic. You'd have to look pretty hard to find other teams with so little success.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Lol, love these out of context photos.

Old indian guys, "here's a great idea. Let's go down to the Cleveland ballpark and confront Indian's fans into feeling shame for doing what all crazy sport fans do."

Indians fan, "dude, I'm just here to drink some beer, cheer for my team, and kick some ass. You're keeping me from doing the first two...we can take care of the third right now."

Edit: Though it makes me wonder how much these type of sport teams give back to NA communities. Would it change the tune of all the people offended if these teams gave 10-15 percent of merchandising back to communities.

10. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jeez, lets just change the name and logos of the Fighting Irish because it's too stereotypical while we're at it.

Just kidding.

Just kidding.

Just kidding.

JUST KIDDING!

11. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Change the name already and be done with it. They have ugly ass jerseys anyway, maybe they could get something that actually looks good then? That way the Skins & Nike could make a boat load of cash on the new name/logo.

12. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well there is a problem with that.

It's ridiculous that they can do this, why isn't this money being spent somewhere worthwhile?

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But being forced to do something because a few people complain is nuts. This wasn't a 1,000,000 signature petition. It was FIVE people. FIVE.

EDIT:
    like others have said I too see it more as a Noble Warrior image. I see it as a positive image. I hear redskin and I first think of a football team.. then the warrior thing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Ummm... The government issued it in the first place. Do you seriously not understand how government works? That's like asking "How can the state take away my driver's license" or "how can they deport illegal aliens"... They issued it and they have every right to take it away.

15. Crockett

I would argue that sports team have a duty to, well, play sports. We don't need sports teams "honoring" anyone.

We don't need a team (pro, college, or otherwise) using a name and logo "honoring" Vietnam veterans. We just don't. This is ill-advised on many levels.

16. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    While not Vietnam Vets, the Columbus, OH NHL team is called the Blue Jackets. A Blue Jacket is another term for a Union Soldier during the Civil War.

There is 0 outrage over that. The mascot is a bug wearing a Union Civil War uniform. ( As a vet I think that is a great logo!)

[​IMG]

17. Crockett

Nobody in this country gives a crap about the NHL at this point...

18. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

You are wrong.

Chuck

19. Crockett

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    So you ignore it because it's the NHL. Well not only are you wrong

Stanley Cup Final ratings on NBC second biggest since 2006 | Variety#

You also completely invalidate any arguement you gave by excluding the example I gave you because, you think no one cares. You want to set examples, then you must be prepared for all examples, not just the ones that fit the agenda your looking to push.

Hmm whats this- the NHL Thread:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/953540-official-13-14-nhl-thread.html