Upgrade kit for Classics Magnus????

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ORIO, Feb 1, 2008.

1. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy Well-Known Member

Yeah really, love to get one.

These litte upgrade kits would be sweet to get, its things like this that would be great to have avalable through the fan club. I love to get my hands on these I wasnt really sold on the CJ one at first but I've been wanting it for awhile now and as for this one I would love to get my hands on it...

2. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    One person here at the board gets a cliffjumper set and we all can get one for cheap if they let the right person borrow it.

3. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    too true! for both CJ and the magnus armour!

4. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I second this. Details please :D 

5. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously. I don't think you should have to pay more than 2x the cost of the figure for a upgrade kit.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Perhaps. But bear in mind the key factors are how much it costs to produce the items, how many they can produce, and how many they think they can sell.

It'd be great to be able to pick the set up for a few bucks. But if selling it at such low prices means they can't recoup their costs and make some kind of a profit, they're hardly gonna bother doing more projects down the line.

And it'd be stupid of them to produce tons of these things and put them out at a 'reasonable' price, only to find out that only a relatively small number of people are shelling out for them.

7. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    I would't say that for the magnus armor, it's seems they are going to mass release that and $50 isn't bad at all for the amount of parts and their mass and complexity.

On the other hand the cliffjumper set isn't complex at all or even massive. I don't see why they did a limited relase on one and not the other.

That is all easily solved by taking orders and money before production, no reason not to do it, it would maixmize the everything including profit. They could also do a slight overrun just in case of late commers and such.

8. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

I'd rather get the Magnus armour though, so I'm happy with it being a mass release. I hope the Apex armour for Prime will be mass as well.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't know what numbers they're producing the Magnus armour in, but to be honest, I'm surprised if they're willing to produce enough to sell at that price. $50 doesn't seem much for a custom project like that, but I can't imagine there'd be enough people willing to spend that much on the upgrade kit for it to be profitable.

I'd love to see it work, but I have a bad feeling.

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well...if anyone wanted to PM me with more info about this....

Not obligatory or anything, of course.

11. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, so much more complex recasts with metal and colored plastic with replica G1 boxes that cost $70. So a resin cast of some parts for a trailer is somehow worthy of $50??? I don't really think so. From what I understand, these kits are being made in Asia, where it's pretty common for things to be made/produced cheaper than in the states, so I just don't see it costing them nearly that much. I think they're just making a HUGE profit off each kit. Heck, most of us have probably seen the decent quality cheap replicas (like the Masterpiece Primes) that sell for like $20, so there is no way these have more supply costs than a 12 inch Transformer.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some updated info

Keep in mind, these aren't bootlegs. They are original designs. Someone has to spend time designing, sculpting, ect. Theres is alot of work that goes into this. And the quality for these kits will be far from the fragile plastic on your $20 Masterpiece Prime.

Anyways, I was at the hobby shop earlier. I did a checkup on the price, and it will be a bit higher than $50. Somewhere in the ranger of $55-$70 maybe, at the most. I wasn't given an exact number, but they will keep it low as possible. Release time is expected in May right now. Before then, their hoping to release another classics kit. Something smaller, but they are still working out the details.

All the hard work for this Ultra Magnus kit is being done with group in China. Their putting all their effort in making this something special for all the fans interested. As for availablity, you will not have to worry about ebay as your only source. There will be enough sellers with online stores selling these, which is the plan at the moment.

For that Apex Armour Classics Optimus, apparently its not turning out like they hoped. So their going another route for a Classics Prime trailer. Grimlock and Rodimus are planned to get some sort of kit, but no details on exactly what. Also, nothing about Classic Decepticon kits either.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Honestly, the only "upgrade" kit that I think makes sense is the one for Ultra Magnus and perhaps a Classics styled trailer for Prime - though I could care less if it actually transformed or not. And by "Classics styled" I mean a trailer that isn't just another G1 grey brick. Something with a few angles to it would be a nice change.

I think the kit for Cliffjumper looks cool & everything, but it's hardly as neccesary as proper "armor" for Magnus. Plus the more I've looked at it, the more I don't like the deco or heads - they have a very 'home made' feel to them imo. And until recently, I didn't realize all the add-on parts needed to be glued on - I thought they somehow just snapped into place.

It's totally cool that someone is taking the time to do these kits, no question, but I hope they don't get too caught up in doing things that aren't really essential. I mean, upgrade kits for Rodimus & Grimlock? Other than some possible weapons packs, I really don't see the point.

But that's just me. I'm sure many others will get a lot more out of these ideas than I currently am.

14. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    An Ultra Magnus I could see, but Rodimus and Grimlock? I just don't see what you could possibly give them that would be equal to Ultra Magnus. If you are going to keep releasing upgrade sets, I think that it would be important to constantly try and top each and every product that came previous to your new one. Maybe with Rodimus, they are giving him his Trailer thing to make him look more like Rodimus Prime, I guess. The only upgrade I would be interested in with Grilock is if they made him bigger, lol. I think these would be awesome if they increadsed Articulation on some things, specifically Rodimus, by giving him better Shoulder articulation(don't ask me how). It's all just speculation.

P.S. boo on The magnus kit possibly going up to $70.

15. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The price is steep, but I'm still looking forward to these sets!!! They make things like this for suckers like me.

These sets kinda remind me of the Unicron.com accessory kits

All Grimlock needs is a sword.

On a side note, I'm stoked I got front page credit! Thought it would take forever to get one of those "news credit" things under my name :) 

16. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Count me in for this set, if it's affordable and easy to find.

The Cliffjumper kit isn't affordable on eBay, and I don't know where you can order it for $30, so I'd say it's not that easy to find. (I'm waiting for Deadend to tell us where to order though)

We already have a Classics Magnus. ;) 

-airfox

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    If anyone knows the place to get it for 30 let me know.

18. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Forgot to mention, there is talks with the makers of the Cliffjumper upgrade set to bring a good amount of the production run to North America. Their still working out the details, but part of the plan is to have them on this side of the pacific in March. I'll try to get updates from the hobby shop about it.

19. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Like I said, we're due to get a Classics 2.0 Magnus some time. ;) 

20. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

If so, I hope we get a Classics 2.0 Devastator too. Something along Pvitite's build. Were there any rumours of another Magnus?