Updates to Comixology this fall/autumn

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Issy543, Sep 1, 2021.

1. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Looks like they just rolled out the update for iOS, and it’s clunky as fuck. The guided-view transitions aren’t as smooth anymore, even after playing with the speed. The “explore” screen won’t let me scroll down past the first tier of featured comixology originals, so that’s a fucking waste.

And, if you can’t purchase in app (like you could way, way back in the day), then what’s the damn point of getting rid of the comixology website? (Don’t answer that — they wanted to put the shit up on Amazon.com, I know)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I'm confused though ... which one is just 'removing the download' and which one is actually permanently removing it from the app, and then how would you get it back?

On the old app they only let you remove the download from the device, and you had to actually 'archive' to remove it from the app, which you could always undo if you wanted to?

I guess I'm confused what removing actually means here? I wouldn't want to lose anything I purchased? But I also want to know how to remove the download so I don't overload my storage.

IIRC it said Android users on this new App can read and not have to download at all? I guess you are just accessing straight from online?

3. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you select "remove series from device," it will just delete all of the comics of that series from your device, and not from your library. You can redownload them anytime. Similar principle applies whenever you want remove a single issue from your device; this function is labelled as "remove download."
    [​IMG]

If you select "permanently delete," as highlighted in red text, it will remove the item from your library, meaning that if you wanted to read it again, you will have to repurchase the item.
    [​IMG]

Also, I have tried the Android version, which recently pushed the new update, and you can download comics and read them on the device. I believe the only way to read comics on the website is via the Kindle Cloud Reader.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wh33l JcK

Thanks.

Finding comics on the website was so much easier, plus you could find if a single issue was part of a larger book, AND it would tell you if you already owned something.

I'm sure it will take them awhile to tweak things, but Comixology was a way better experience.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I've sent feedback. Some of the update is just stuff I'll have to get used to, but a lot of the update is legitimately terrible.

Even basic stuff that used to be fine like simply scrolling through your library is now laggy and stuttering. And I hate that in my preferred method of reading on a tablet in landscape mode, I now cannot zoom out to see more of the page than having the image touch both sides of the screen. It won't let me zoom out more than that. And if the tier of panels is taller than the screen, that's just too bad for me, I guess. I can't see the entire image at the same time without scrolling up and down. And there are no more page turns when reading in landscape view. It treats the entire comic like one super tall page where you start at the top and scroll down, down, down to the bottom of the comic. Like it's a forum thread instead of a comic book.

I fucking hate this update. I have not found one change that positively affects my reading experience, but several changes that significantly change my experience for the worse.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You might be able to address this issue if you disable vertical scrolling within the app.

First, open an issue, and select the cog icon (right side, 1st icon from left to right):
    892F002E-CEBF-46EA-8EBE-E092C4AD06B5.jpeg

Then, go to layout, and disable vertical scroll:
    989905BC-2865-4C3C-B37B-AF0B6E3D0488.jpeg

It will mean that instead of having one long vertical scrolling of a page (where it appears to be zoomed in):
    0116CBB6-C529-4570-A7EA-E34465D4633C.png

…it will allow you to view two pages on the screen:
    0F4955B4-BF3F-4B8F-AE6E-8E173024A561.png

7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It looks like the ComiXology wishlist migrated to Amazon. You can find it under your lists.

And update, I made one mistake purging things from my collection and lost X-Men Kingbreaker because the damn name changed and I didn’t recognize it. I’ll rebuy it I guess.

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Wow. With the new app I can't access my comics anymore. What the fuck?! I have 400 unread books I can't access, not to mention the other 3000 books. I deactivated automatic updates on my tablet so hopefully I can still read comics there. It still has the old app. I sent a complaint via email and gave them a 1 star rating in playstore. I want my stuff back.
    Screenshot_20220218_230623_com.iconology.comics.jpg

If they don't take it back, they won't be getting my money anymore. I'll go back to pirating. Fuck you, Amazon.

I just downloaded the old apk on my phone. Now I can access my comics again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I just realized: if they don't roll this back, I will probably not even pirating new books. How the hell am I supposed to know there's new stuff out I might be interested in? The publishers already lost me every time they rename their books because I wouldn't know they just started with a new number 1,but with comixology I discovered quite a deal of stuff I probably otherwise wouldn't know of. Paper comics also is no option, there's no comic book stores here.

Also no subscriptions, they basically killed comixology for international readers. The old app also can't connect to the store anymore. Just tried to buy the empyre books at sale. Doesn't work. Comixology just died.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Patton Oswalt has been bringing attention to all this on Twitter and AVClub and others are writing about how much of a downgrade this all is.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Never expected him to be in on this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    WHAT THE FUCK
    HOW DID THEY UPDATE THE APP ON MY TBALET WHEN UPDATES WHERE DISABLED? ALL MY BOOKS ARE G9 E.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I just spend the last 4 hours downloading my comics as CBZ, sadly it's only 678 comics out of 3152 comics. Now I need to see where I can download all the other stuff I bought. What a chore. Also installed the old apk now on my tablet, after uninstalling the new comixology app. Now I'm downloading all unread comics to my tablet again and hopefully I can finish reading them in the old app in peace. It's over 400 comics. I refuse to use the new app and I will not be buying comics through Amazon. If this is the way going forward for them, I will definitely not shopping through them again. They removed all the key features which made me switch from just downloading everything to rather buying them digitally. This is a nightmare. I really hate how much money I dumped into them. It is beyond me, how they are using the inferior technology of kindle instead of bringing the superior comixology over to kindle. I expected them to use the better technology on kindle instead of the other way around. This way they might have even interested me in kindle. But forcing us to use this shit now? Way to drive away customers.

If they don't fix this, I will delete my Amazon account, my Prime subscription, etc. They destroyed the one thing I overly enjoyed and that made me buy a tablet just for the sole reason of enjoying comics via comixology in guided view and the easy way of discovering comics and subscribing to them. I now need to find a way to easily get copies of all my digital purchases so I can say goodbye to Amazon. Not what I planned to do on my weekend...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

This has been the most impacting app update that I've ever personally experienced. The fact that they've switched the site as well makes it even worse. I spent a little over an hour this morning getting the Kindle PC app on my laptop, accessing my digital content online, and sending over 600 comics to the Kindle PC app. Those comics are still downloading and probably will be for most of the day.

My tablet is a 7th generation Kindle Fire HD10 which isn't very old and it can't even load the app now. I hope they fix it soon, because reading comics was the main reason I even bothered to get the tablet.

I think people tend to be dramatic when something changes, but this is a nightmare and the frustration is justified.

Screenshot_2022-02-20-12-37-36.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I haven't read a single comic since the update. :( 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Somehow I feel I lucked out on this… because I’ve about gotten myself sorted.

Fortunately reading Manga isn’t as effected like comics, hell it’s practically unchanged.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wh33l JcK

I wonder if the sales will be the same, or if they will be less frequent or not as good?

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up, but I tried that and it's just a new, even worse problem.

If I do that, it's either all the way zoomed out to show both pages (which I do not want), or it's zoomed in like before, but now it won't let me scroll to the bottom of the page at all lol! It only lets me read the top half of each page. It resists any attempt to scroll to the cut off bottom half of the page. Unless I zoom back out to see both pages.

This update is a freaking train wreck. They're going to have to invent a new term for the opposite of a quality-of-life update.

19. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not to sound apocalyptic, but there was no new Marvel sale on Friday or Today (Monday). Marvel misses those Monday and Friday sales very very rarely. Marvel Mondays and Fridays have been such a fixture it’s been part of my phone habits to check for them.

It’s been going around that part of the motivation for the switch is Amazon’s bottom line. If that’s true, then frequent large sales may not be as financially attractive.

Tuesday is DC day on ComiXology, so we will see if there’s a new sale tomorrow.

20. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No new DC sale, buts that ok as the Sandman sale was a rare two weeks sale.