Update by shout on takara dvds

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Aug 19, 2010.

1. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as it plays on my Region 1 player, I'll take subs, dubs, or whatever they can get their hands on. I just want to have the episodes in good quality image on a region 1 disk.

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If these series were feasible in smaller markets like the UK and Australia, and were released unremastered with subs and occasionally the StarTV dub, I can't imagine why Shout doesn't think they'd be marketable in that form in the US.

(Also, y'know, if you guys were needin' any commentaries doin'... *waves*)

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Just sub them.

4. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

ARG. Why is it so difficult to get these Japanese shows in R1? It's Transformers, of course they will sell. If Energon and Cybertron can sell, Japanese G1 can. I for one only want the original Japanese with subs anyway.... and I think most would be happy to just have that as well. Better than nothing, and these days that's about all you can expect. In fact, the only things that would stop me from buying these.... would be Star dubs only, and not being a complete release.

I kind of got my hopes up about these Japanese shows coming to the US from Shout!... but it's just a pipe dream. If we can't get Headmasters, MasterForce, and Victory now in the middle of the highest point of fan interest in Transformers.... it's just never going to happen.

Sigh.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    This. I don't see why they can't just release them as they are, there's obviously demand for them. Redubbing them was a dumb idea to begin with.

Also, your commentaries were awesome.

6. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Demand is one thing but licensing is another.
    The license(s) involves multiple parties which are difficult to deal with.

7. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the Japanese Transformer series but i'd never buy them. They are available in a wide variety of places so I can't honestly imagine people jumping to pay 100's of dollars to own these DVDs.

HOWEVER, i would reconsider if the fans got together and dubbed the voices. Of course, you would need to have an American Idol style casting call to grab the people suited to play these parts and we probably wouldn't charge that much. They would need to be compensated but not as much as say a professional actor.

The hardest part would be finding people to fit the roles because a lot of these fan dubs are terrible:lol 

Seriously, if you sound like a 12 year old, don't audition for a Leader character, your either Wheelie, Jan, Holi, Daniel, or one of the Masterforce kids. :D 

I nominate myself to be Star Saber:rock  Since I probably have the most masculent voice of anyone here:D 

8. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Yes,ofcause a Dub exist. I've got the Japanese TF G-1 cartoon collection trio pack. all 3 different series include a english dub track.

I'd imagine if the hub was able to view all 3 transformers Japanese G-1 series. then demand for the DVD's in stores would bev higher. as their would be old school & newer fans seeing all 3 series on the hub Cable network.

I can't say I really need or want the shout versions. as I got all 3 japanese G-1 series for 75% off a few years ago from amazon.com.

i'd much rather shout did rid,beastwars or beastmachines.

9. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Oh really? If you are referring to that abomination known as the Star Dub, I don't count that as an English dub. The phrase, epic fail, spawned thanks to that horrible dub. I can barely tolerate 5 minutes listening to it. I imagine other TF fans would agree. That Star Dub does NOT count as an English dub.

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Who the hell would want dubs over subs?

11. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah ain't gonna READ mah TEEVEE!!!11!

12. Tirade

You'd be surprised. Plus, if the dub is good, there shouldn't be any problems with the target (English) audience.

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

We are never getting these. People want dubs, so no dubs or subs are coming. I just downloaded all Japanese Subbed eps from Megaupload for 10 bucks. I'm done.

14. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Sub please, and thank you.

15. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Forget dubs or subs. Just ship it with 'Rosetta Stone: Japanese,' then we can all watch it in the original language. :) 

16. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely understand where Shout! is coming from, and all this merely confirms what we were already thinking. It's so easy for everyone with no financial stake in this to say "Why don't they just release subs? I'd buy it." I'd like to know about any North American release (of Japanese origin or otherwise) of anything that contained only subs, and how well it sold. I'm obviously speaking in a very general manner.

Bottom line, we're talking about a 20 year old cartoon that few (outside of Asia) grew up with. As much as we all want to consider Transformers to be mainstream, the Japan TFs themselves are purely niche market stuff and Shout! knows it. Anyone whose really wanted to watch/own them already has at this point in one form or another.

Now an "American Idol" style reality-competition tv show I can get behind! They can air it on the Hub, plus it'll act as its own self-promotion and we now have a reason to give the Japanese TFs a modern day run! Kids will then clamour for these toys and Hasbro would have no choice but to release them to the American market!
    (sorry went a bit wild there)

17. Tirade

I keep coming back to this post. Niche market or not, if they can be released over there, they sure as heck can be released here in the American market. I think the biggest hurdle here is licensing with multiple parties. DrillBIT mentioned it in his post. That is the biggest complication at this point.

18. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

I seriously just choked on my Mt. Dew while reading that :lolol 

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    You Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol 

don't see the big deal with subs..do it all the time!

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

99.9% of people who watch movies or TV.