Upcoming 35th Anniversary Walmart Exclusives.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jacer, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Bro, (and I mean that in a colloquial manner) you don't speak for everyone your age.

I like the cell shades because they are a throwback to our roots from the G1 era. But you hating on them in here post after post is kinda negative, yeah?

Let the people like what they like. It just comes across as you trying to tell others how they should feel about what's offered, instead of you just one&done'ing your views.

I ran home every day to catch transformers on TV, and woke up early just to catch what I might have missed on saturday morning... even sitting through an hour of news or whatever garbage was on just before saturday morning cartoons at 5am.

I was there with you.

I like the cell shades.

Can we end this crap now?

• Like Like x 3
  2. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I like Siege, but I feel it’s just a giant missed opportunity. We haven’t gotten a lot of depictions of the TFs on Cybertron, save for the High Moon games and the first G1 episode, so Hasbro had the chance to do something fresh and new. Instead, we got more G1 rehashes.

I feel the WFC Trilogy has an interesting storyline/concept, but that storyline/concept isn’t being represented all that well through the toys because Hasbro is afraid to step out of the G1 bubble (Earthrise is supposedly taking place in space yet we’re getting Earth mode robots that full on resemble their G1 designs). I’ll gladly eat crow if the later waves of Earthrise end up moving away from G1 to a different show/setting, but as it is right now, I pretty much can’t wait until John Warden moves on and someone who actually acknowledges the entire Transformers brand, and not just a sliver of it, takes his place.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. Rated X

Rated X Banned

You might not agree with me but its living the experience. Its actually having to wait for the next season. Its actually going to see the 1986 movie on the big screen. Its going to the toy store and buying the new character that you just got introduced to a few weeks ago from a brand new episode. But most importantly forthe sake of this argument, its being old enough to understand that cell shading was all they had back then. Would you cell shade a Bayverse or TF Prime figure ? Im guessing no. So why would you cell shade a G1 figure ? Because its old ? I guess im just not into the whole milenial retro culture obsession. I just want good updated figures, not a blast from the past. I dont need a time capsule, I was there.

4. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Hey you can like what you like man. Im not speaking for anybody but myself. The real reason I hate cell shading and similar "make it look toon" effects is because its f**king up the MP line. I hate the thought of it trickling down to CHUG too. For me G1 vintage figures are a "throwback". Trying to make modern figures look like they jumped out of your grandpas TV is ridiculous. But hey, its your money. Buy what you like. My comments shouldnt stop you.

5. vvvTheONEvvv

News Credits:
    Alright... you did say something to the effect of "people my age", which speaks for me as I am your age? Regardless... try this question on for size then:

How would you feel about a cell shaded G1 prime?

6. dk1

dk1 Guest

they ever goona make a guiltor figure?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I can't imagine being 50, but in 4 more years I guess I won't hafta try and imagine it anymore...

• Like Like x 3
  8. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Yes, soon you will be over that hill with the rest of us old fogies!
    giphy (7).gif
    LOL!!!

• Like Like x 6
  9. rodimuspwnzor

rodimuspwnzor Nerd-O-tron

Ebay:
    I really don\'t want to wade into these waters, but I couldn\'t resist. I\'m 39; the same \'OG target demo\' as some others in here. I don\'t get the cell shaded products either. However, companies like Hasbro don\'t put out products that won\'t sell; a marketing study of some kind was done, maybe even a test run. Somewhere out there is a group of people large enough to justify the manufacturing cost of these things.

At the same time, I see an opportunity - I HATE the \'grime\' they\'ve been painting on this line. This cell shaded Megatron looks like a strong candidate for some light paint removal to get your standard CHUG look.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You're right. I wasn't exactly being respectful. I was putting you on blast. But I am civilised about it. If I wasn't my posts would be a lot more angry. Oh god anyone who saw my post during the Combiner Wars era knew how uncivilized I got.

This ain't a debate. I can't debate anyone who can't even format paragraphs lol. You clearly didn't read my point about your ageism but...naw. I'm not going to actually respond to that post like that. Ya got me bro, ya got me. Just gonna bow out and return to the normal world and let some...fans...be fans. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Ugh. Still no sign of them putting these up in my walmart despite brickseek saying they have them. I just want to put them on layaway and use my black fruday discount when the time comes!!!
    Pepperidge farms remembers....

• Like Like x 4
  12. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Formulate paragraphs ??? This is a transformers fan site not a english class. Yeah you are probally better off sidestepping any debate because you dont get where Im coming from. You believe cell shading is cool because it is "retro". I think of it as primitive and out of place on a three dimensional object. Its stupid. Somebody had to say something and Im that fan whos gonna say something about it. Put that in your bowl and bite it...

13. Grand Slam

Grand Slam "The sounds of war are history speaking."

I contacted customer service about my July preorder. This was their response:

Megatron is no longer available for shipping, so thanks for nothing. How the hell can new orders be prioritized over older ones?

edit: Update! I was able to find the big, red display at the third-closest Walmart. I feel like a sucker for handing them $60 for my trouble, but at least this story is over and has a happy ending.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

I'm in the same boat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. denebian

denebian I've got better things to do tonight...

News Credits:
    Their order system is apparently crap.
    Ordering new is no guarantee either. I had a preorder that was delayed, and Bluestreak popped back up for order, so I ordered with pickup in store and it got delayed too:
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rated X

Rated X Banned

No I didnt say it like that. I just stated my age in reference to me being Hasbro's "target age" in 1984. But judge for yourself, page 22, 10th comment down scrolling from top to bottom:
    Upcoming 35th Anniversary Walmart Exclusives.

And no I wouldnt like a cell shaded G1 vintage Prime. My thing about cell shading on three dimensional objects is that its scientifically illogical. Youre trying to create something that sunlight has already done for you. You want shadows and glare on your figure, turn on a lamp and point it at the figure. I would argue that the exaggerated look they desire can be achieved much better naturally with a metallic paint job sinilar to the Takara United line. Theres no need to fake it with tampos when you can have the real deal. My personal opinion about cell shading on transformers toys is that it is being marketed for the Asian market who thinks Anime looks cooler (and often more sexy) than what would be their real life equivalents. But were talking about to walmart figures released for the American market. My personal opinion on those two figures are they are targeting milenials. When I look at cell shaded figures in a box that says "35th anniversary" I get a almost forced "retro" vibe. I mean seriously, its not like G1 aesthetic Transformers went anywhere in the last 10 years. They havent been AWOL or missing in action. It seems like every 5 years Hasbro celebrates the anniversary which takes away from its significance in my opinion. Like they cant wait until 50, or at least 40 ? Is selling one off Primes and Megatrons to milenials to put in their bedroom shelf really that marketable ? If a 1980's "retro" collector wants a Transformer that bad, theres no shortage of Primes in walmart. And the reason I brought up age is because I notice a trend that younger guys are more obsessed with the 80s than guys who actually lived through the decade. Then they come on here and argue with the people who actually lived it like they are they are some kind of historians. And thats where the cell shading argument fits right in. An older fan will recognize that it was a coloring technique from a bygone era that has been replaced with more accurate representations in cartoons. A younger fan will be like "oh thats cool because its so retro, I love throwbacks". They dont like the scientific logic behind my "fake shadows" arguement. To them im being a "hater" and ruining their fun. But im that type of guy that when I see something I think is really stupid, Im gonna say something about it. Thats how I roll. And thats the beauty of these forums.

17. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

So I've listened to everyone make their feelings known about the design of these figures, and as usual, it feels a bit blown out of proportion. No, they're not for everyone...I'd go so far as to say they're not even for most...but I found these today, and to my eyes, they're damn pretty.

• Like Like x 4
  18. coybrafett

coybrafett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I came across these being in stock through brickseek so I chose the option to order in store pickup. I received a notification that my bluestreak would be delayed because they went out of stock. I decided on a whim to go by that same store to see if they had springer and low and behold, they had at least 6 bluestreak in the display unit so I just bought from the store. As I went to cancel my online order, walmart had already canceled it for me. It all worked out in the end but still annoying as I have ordered several times in the past through site to store without any trouble. Looks like their ordering system may have gone to the pooper. The other 35th exclusives looked nice but passed on them. I'm happy for those that like these and are able to have them but they are not for me.
    I'm happy I've finally been able to have the datsun bro's together. I had the original bluestreak as a kid but no smokescreen and prowl. I have classics prowl and bluestreak but not smokescreen. Same with masterpiece. I have combiner wars prowl and smokescreen but not bluestreak. These three look good together but I feel that bluestreak looks the best.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

So what are you guys even arguing about now? Doesn't seem like you're really talking about these figures anymore

• Like Like x 2
  20. vvvTheONEvvv

News Credits:
    The OP is striving to assimilate all viewers into anti-cell shaded camps.

Nothing more.

He's in the wrong thread, as this will soon become more of an appreciation thread for cell shades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.