Upcoming 35th Anniversary Walmart Exclusives.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jacer, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CynicalGaymer

CynicalGaymer Well-Known Member

I was hesitant to pick these up, considering the hours of zealous elbow-grease that went into cleaning up the battle damage off of their Siege counterparts on my shelf. Plus the CGI stock footage of these figures really made them look almost too good to be true. (And we have no Walmarts in New York City for me to get a good, personal, up-close look at them.)

This photo-set, though, has pretty much clinched my decision. Seeing how vibrant these look, and how hard they evoke the TF: Devastation game, makes me incredibly excited to swap them out in my collection.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I've always liked the look of moving white bars as glass/ice shine. Its so pleasing. That's why I'm breaking my 1 character per figure rule and attempting to hunt down OP. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Woooo! I generally don't do this, but hey I like it so let's dig into this!

Please. Let's not make this about age. That isn't, and what it was never about. You throw your age around...not the first time I've seen you do this...as if it's an AMEX Centurion. "Look how ELITE OF A FAN I AM," wooo.

I actually don't care about your age. I don't care what you think of how I interacted with Transformers. I'm an OG fan too. I GREW UP on G1, and I'm no less of a G1 fan than you are. That I caught it on re-runs is literally irrelevant as I watched the exact same cartoon you did.

Lemme cut the irrelevant stuff out...There you go trying to speak for everyone again, which is a point I was trying to make. It's okay if it's your position. @rattrap007's statement is great. He doesn't care for them but he doesn't go as far to say that NOBODY wants them. He's all, "I don't care for them but I'm glad other people do." Because that's actually...embracing other fandom ideas and views even if you don't agree with them. Like me...I literally hate Beast Wars but I do still want people to have those toys as I don't think parts of the fandom being ignored is okay. I just won't buy BW toys...at all.

At the end of the day that's what I always have issue with. Fans from any part of the fandom coming in and trying to dictate what people should and shouldn't like. You want me to like the same stuff you do? Buy me the toys and I'll happily curate my collection to suit your tastes.

Yeah man, I'm with ya! It IS pretty cool! :thumb  Glad we can agree on something! But, can't we have both? What's wrong about liking realistic portrayals of characters and alt modes AND having cartoon ones?

Lemme try to translate this..."I'm too old and I don't understand to care, so I'll just try to justify my desire to push what I like onto others by ignorance." There's nothing wrong with not liking things that don't appeal to you. But you take it one step further with your posts. It's absolutely clear, whether you realize it or not. You don't like Millennial themes and tropes? Sure, that's okay! Prefer to only have G1 stuff! Yeah, I'm with ya. My collection is almost entirely G1. Like movie stuff? Great, me too actually. Holy shit we're more alike than we think! The only difference? I actually try to use my big most advanced brain on Earth to actually...not be a dick to my fellow fans. I did that back in 2014 and it was literally not emotionally healthy for me. No one should HATE HATE HATE for an entire year. It fucked me up good. So you know what? I think it's cool that people like what they like. You're not hating on things like I did, sure, but a lot of your posts come across as "I don't understand why people don't like X. They should absolutely like X the way I do." It's like you you defend the movies from criticism. You can't accept that people just don't like the movies and move on. Your posts are abrasive and condescending, and the reality is that at 42 it literally makes you look like a manchild, not a man of refinement and class. All due respect.

• Like Like x 9
  4. Firedragonrider

Firedragonrider New Member

These figs are like a page out of Transformers devastation. I like them, but to be honest, I feel they are almost too colorful. I mean, I dig where Hasbro\'s coming from, but they pop so much that it almost makes my eyes burn. I kinda feel that they would stand out too much from the rest of my figures. I liked Siege ​primarily because it took inspiration from G1, but kinda did its own thing with the design. I kinda feel, (Respectfully to any G1 fans), there  has been a little too much of the same recently, and I saw Siege as a compromise between the G1 designs and fresh concepts. This, for instance, is why I like optimus from the bumblebee movie, since he is a blend of movie and cartoon! I think I\'ll stick with \"Battle Damaged\" Prime and Megs!

(Oh god, someone\'s probably gonna write a paragraph about this one....whoops)!

5. Gneric Robot Dinosaur

Gneric Robot Dinosaur General Issue

News Credits:
    *Folks arguing about age and g1 (i honestly had no idea what all this geewunn stuff was until I thought about it lol)*

Me: Man, optimus has the prettiest blue eyes.

hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  6. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's a lol. You only get that if you're trying to push your opinions as gospel that everyone else needs to follow. As if you're some kind of Transformers jesus. Now this is a paragraph. Big oops there! :D 

7. Override Prime

Override Prime Well-Known Member

My own dislike of cellshading toys notwithstanding, does anyone feel like these don't quite work? The colors work REALLY well, and Ops boob windows look good, but the rest doesn't really look like shading to me.

Megs looks like hes trying a half-assed camouflage. Op looks like he's covered in soap streaks from a car wash.

The animation accurate colors look so good though...

• Like Like x 1
  8. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The thing that gets me about it is that I'm not sure if I can tell where the light is supposed to be coming from. Like, take this Gundam kit someone painted: "MINI TOON" Anime/Cel-shaded ver. Custom painted by LOW

You can tell that the light is coming from a rightward direction. I think it also works better on the Optimus Prime versus the Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nagatem

Nagatem Sea sea sea sea sea sea sea sea seaconOooo

I was born in 91 so I grew up with G1 reruns
    And had the pleasure of watching beast wars when it first came out, and the displeasure of being subjected to the ugly designs of beast machines, aside from Thrust and his boi’s, honestly the only transformers shows I didn’t see first run of were Animated and prime, because by that point I was getting out of the series until that sweet sweet titans return soundwave caught my eye, didn’t buy it till later, that honor was blurr followed by hot rod, and I’ve been watching everything else ever since

10. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Well lets keep this civilized here. You replied to my post basically calling me a hypocrite and tried to sugarcoat it by saying "with all due respect". Dont you know when people start off by saying "with all due respect" it means they are about to disrespect you ? Thats why I emphasised that quote 3 times in my reply to let you know I see right through it. I dont throw around my age, I quote it. Fact of the matter is ive been around just a little bit longer. I never said that makes me more of a fan than you. But it does mean that I got some vivid memories and experiences with the transformers brand to share that you dont have...straight up. And you gonna call me a manchild ? Dude please....socially speaking, Im kind of at that age where im too old to be accepted by people in their 20s but too young to be accepted by people in their 50s. Everyone handles it differently when they hit that 40 year milestone. I like to think that I never learned how to "act old". Maybe you embrace those age sterotypes, so you get off by calling me a manchild. But thats another debate for a different forum. Back to transformers. Im glad you see we have a few things in common. Its good you like G1 even if you didnt grow up with it as a kid like I did. Youre helping keep the brand alive. That I can respect. I just hope your love for the franchise is because you actually love transforming robots, not just because they are "retro" or "lit" (some Gen Z terminology for ya) But either way, thats your choice. Im not here to tell people to like what I like. I just like a good healthy debate. I noticed you sidestepped all the points I made about 80s cartoon coloring techniques being obsolete. But I also noticed you didnt deny it was the truth either. You keep talking about hating, hating, hating. Aint no hating going on here, Im just pulling cards. (Exposing something for what it really is) In this case, im calling out the whole cell shading craze which Takara started about a year ago with the MP line. Im really hoping it doesnt spread to CHUG. Yes I think its stupid to paint fake shadows and reflections on a three dimensional object. And yes Im attacking the concept from a logical perspective because in my opinion its just too fake. It reminds me of Lebron James fake ass painted hairline lol. Im not saying you shouldn't like it. Im not saying im a bigger fan than you because Im older than you. Nobodys "hating" on you. Im just stating what I see with my own 2 eyes and how my brain interprets it. You can disagree with me all you want. I coexist with everyone here. You mentioned my posts on the movie threads, so obviously ive got your attention. Im Rated X....nice to meet you. :thumb 

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  11. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My thoughts on Optimus and Megatron do not require paragraphs. Simply put, those look like crap. The shading experiment failed miserably and should never be repeated.

12. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

did you even read the whole reply you're responding to

13. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just canceled my "delayed" old Optimus and Megatron preorders and created new ones that have actual shipping and delivery estimates. It's possible the delayed status could switch after the official online release date tomorrow, but I didn't see a point in waiting. Also, not that it's much difference, but they're also 15 cents cheaper than my original order was in the first place.

14. denebian

denebian I've got better things to do tonight...

News Credits:
    I had a Bluestreak preorder that was delayed, never shipped. When Bluestreak popped back up to order on the site, I jumped on it. It had a pick up in store date of today, 6pm.... Guess what's also delayed, with no idea if it'll actually come in to the store?

15. MonaLazaBeak

MonaLazaBeak <Witty saying goes here>

Found my Bluestreak!

It was a day prior to boarding a Disney cruise ship when the news popped up about Walmart having displays, so prior to going cell silent (beautiful thing right there), I had checked the Walmart app. Closest store that had them was an hour away, so I stuck it in my cart and forgot about it.

I came back home on Monday and remembered about the displays and checked again. That store was sold out, but my local one five minutes away had them in stock! Kids were sick post cruise, so I “volunteered” to get meds and some food. I ventured over to the toy aisle and looked.

Nothing.

I spoke with the department rep and she mentions she had a trailer full of stuff she was unpacking, so if it was in stock, it was probably there or in the back and would take a few days. She’s always cranky, so I figured I’d make the trip again in a couple days. My store is mostly stocked well on the holidays, so I didn’t panic.

Checked back again today and saw the pallet. I went over to her, chuckled and excitedly told her it was finally there. She basically told me to wait a few hours and she’d crack it open when she could.

A few hours later my kids wanted to go out with their friends trick or treating, so off again to Walmart I went to get glow sticks and bags. I checked for the display.

Nothing.

I checked almost every possible aisle in toys and seasonal.

Nothing.

Then I remember. There’s a front seasonal aisle perpendicular to the Halloween aisle that they had slowly added toys to over the week and behold every 35th anniversary figure was on the shelf, including some normal Siege voyagers.

Success!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    I picked them up. I like them a lot. Didn't have the siege figures before but the figures themselves are outstanding. YMMV on the paint job but I love it. I think the look perfect displayed together. They'll just be my new desk toys.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rated X

Rated X Banned

L
    Yeah I did. I only check my alerts and respond to replies to my posts. That he did do and in my honest opinion he was being a bit disrespectful in a nonchalant sort of way. Kinda like oh you brought up your age so im gonna bring up mine. I only brought my age up because I watched the G1 cartoon on its first run as a fan. Not in diapers or reruns. I lived the G1 expierence. So when people start talking about how cool "cell shading" is like its some kind of retro time capsule s**t, it makes me want to puke. Older fans like myself appreciate how the cartoons and toys have evolved over the years. I dont want to see my figures dumbed down to 1984 standards. If you like that sorta thing, by all means buy them. My comments shouldnt stop anyone from enjoying what they like. But if you call me out or say im a hypocrite, be prepared to debate. Nothing personal.

18. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

how is watching the same show on reruns just a small number of years later that fundamentally different from watching it when it first aired

• Like Like x 1
  19. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    I quite like the cel shaded figures. Wasn't really sure from the pictures I've seen, if they were something for my collection. Saw them in hand the other day. Ops & Megs look much better in person to me, so I bought them along with Soundblaster & Bluestreak.

I was 15 when TFs came out, so I guess I'm a GeeWunner too. Even though I have liked every iteration from '84 to now.
    By the way, I'm 50, so get off my lawn! :D 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Pages 22 and 23 have been weird, I get the feeling, someone I'm ignoring or multiples, have been rambling nonsense and others are replying to it. That's also weird because people I ignore usually get banned later and it's been years since I last ignored someone new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.