Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the Devastation game for what it is, but yeah, the levels are generic & same-y. And just when you think you’ve finally gotten away from the city, they send you right back to it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hack and slash games are fine, but usually they have a kinetic energy and visceral feel that makes the combat feel dynamic even if what's actually being done is fairly simple. Devastation is just dull. It's flashy, colourful, but the actual impact of fighting feels weak. Plus it's exceedingly repetitive and the various characters do not stand out from each other enough besides maybe Grimlock because of his alt mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. xyz123

xyz123 Well-Known Member

I love Devastation, but yeah it could definitely have benefitted from more diverse gameplay modes and environments. It's something I noticed more when playing on the easier difficulties tho, I feel like once you get to Magnus+ your skillset is diverse enough, and the enemies are tough enough, that the monotony of the settings doesn't affect me as much, if that makes sense.

I will die on the hill though that the biggest thing Devastation was missing is playable Decepticons. Imagine how cool Devastation-style combos would be as a flying character. So much room for improvement in a sequel!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    I actually don't mind the idea that Transformers could be damaged by small firearms like in Bayformers. Bayformers designs have so many open areas and exposed joints that even if their armor can stop human small arms, any well placed shot would just tear through unarmored vital parts.

In DotM, NEST went for the Decepticons' weaknesses: sniping their eyes, planting explosives on their legs afterwards, and finishing them off with barrages of fire to rattle their systems until something got through

What a ton of people never seems to be able of comprehend, is that modern military small arms are not just powerful, they are REALLY LETHALLY POWERFUL. Even your standard infantryman's rifles such as the AK-47 has enough power to punch through vehicle doors and disable armored vehicles with enough fire, or just kill the driver and stop the vehicle's operation. That's not even factoring more heavy-duty weapons DESIGNED to penetrate light armor in small arms, like .50 BMG. For how much I'm not the biggest fan of Bayformer's unhealthy obsession with the US military, Bay really did do the military, real-robot aspect of Transformers justice I feel.

Even other franchises, such as Gundam doesn't ignore small arms. Most Gundam-types mobile suits across most of its various story incarnations have either small vulcan guns or machine cannons installed in their head, or around the chest.

These vulcans are almost completely useless when trying to DESTROY another mobile suit (Outside of very specific situations where they face off against enemy mobile suits whose armors is weak enough for their vulcan guns to get through), but the excellent firing rate, precision and accurancy that these vulcans has makes them ideal for doing things like:
    • Damaging the more delicate and vital parts on enemy mobile suits like camera sensors or joints
    • Restricting enemy's movement and preventing them from getting too close
    • Attacking smaller targets with minimal armor such as infantrymen, light vehicles, incoming enemy missiles, etc.,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even in Gundam, infantrymen aren't completely worthless. In the official Universal Century lore, the Earth Federation actively employed teams of infantrymen who did anti-mobile suit work during the earliest chapters of the One Year War conflict (Before they manages to create mobile suits of their own like the Guncannons, Gundams, GMs, etc., during the middle and late stage of the conflict) with weapons that could potentially damage a mobile suit. Rocket launchers, fixed anti-armor emplacements, and what not. While not even close to the most ideal things to employ against the 18-meters tall mobile suits deployed by their enemies and these teams has incredibly high mortality rate as a result, they're still better than nothing like as showcased in this part of the MS IGLOO OVA:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

G1 Optimus' alt mode (and the subsequent inspired homages) looks better with the silver stripe on the cab.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Have you tried playing on higher difficulties?

I'm not trying to imply that you're bad or whatever, but the enemies get faster as well as spongier. Some use different moves too.

Impact wise, it feels fine, imo. The enemies and bosses with super armor can be really painful, but they can be dealt with if you hit back hard enough. I can understand if certain bosses feel like a slog to get through though.

As far as the characters, yeah, I can see that. Asides from Ultimates and special moves, the carbots are unfortunately all variations of Optimus, but that's kinda the natural result of everyone being able to use the exact same kit if you want.

Bumblebee is nice to avoid dealing with that super armor though, and Grimlock is my favorite natch', but also because of his grappling moves.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Traditional Animator/Storyboard Artist

I always found it genius that they attacked the parts in-between since the joints are always the weakest parts on transformers

• Like Like x 2
  8. SheepWeaver95

SheepWeaver95 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with Rodimus Prime's tenure is that the writers had no idea what to DO with him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wreckneck

Wreckneck Well-Known Member

Yeah, it felt like the writers were just like the fans at the time - They thought he was the reason Prime died and hated him. Which would explain why Magnus gets more screentime than Rodimus to the point it feels like he's the leader instead.

10. Jeeaxus

Jeeaxus J->E Translator, Comics Fan, Recent Collector

Instagram:
    I think the biggest problems with Rodimus in the cartoon were accidental.

The writers wanted to follow up on the film with a character struggling to settle into his role as leader—which makes sense—but since it was an episodic series, there was no plan for the kind of consistent arc necessary to make that work. So he had fluctuating confidence for thirty episodes and then got dropped.

At the same time, that kind of role prevented him from either being very fun or getting the kinds of boldly “cool” moments Optimus got to endear him to fans and make him feel like more of a permanent fixture. Basically, they either needed to commit to a fleshed-out arc, or acknowledge the limitations of an episodic series there and abandon that angle in favor of Cool Leader 2.0.

Also…it’s weird they never decided how his transformation worked and whether the trailer was a separate part or not, right? Like, that’s weird?

• Like Like x 4
  11. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I guess I just love Hot Rod?

My biggest problem with Rodimus is he needs to be Rodimus. I much prefer Hot Rod being a young punk who does shit than the respected older leader.

The only time that had worked was Energon and honestly he still barely felt like Rodimus Prime and more a really angry version of Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yep. On paper a Chosen One-type character who was thrust into greatness well before he was ready is actually a pretty cool idea and above what you'd see in a cartoon from the same time period. But he also exists in an 80s episodic show where the status quo can never change too greatly so the back-and-forth on himself when he's presumably dealt with it make him seem like the stick-in-the-mud to Optimus' goofy cool dad.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Optimus' goofy cool dad.???

is this some kind of a joke or are you really telling me that was the impression you’ve got of the character?

14. Checksources84

Checksources84 Well-Known Member

Well not so much in the first season, but David Wise's second season scripts, give Prime that vibe.

15. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I mean... that kinda is how he comes across on the show.

16. Primeultra

And what episodes?

Maybe in two or three episodes he cracked a few jokes but no way in hell was he ever presented as a goofy dad

17. Primeultra

I don’t want to sound overly argumentative, but there are very few instances of anything like this and even this doesn’t come off as goofy dad

18. Veridioz

Veridioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should really stop using the same autobots as the maincast (bumblebee arcee Ratchet Grimlock Wheeljack) It's just god damn annoying to see a new transformers show and it's the same four to five characters with the same alt-modes, "Oh wait bumblebee is a muscle car for this one and arcees a retro looking car" Still boring, When's the last time bluestreak was given a moment to shine? when's bulkhead coming back? where the fuck is my Brainstorm representation? seriously it's like they want kids to think that the autobots are only a handful of characters.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Banannixx

Banannixx The Banana Man

Lemme start by saying I'm a big Dinobot fan;

As far as I'm concerned with Grimlock, the over exposure didn't really kick in until RID15.

Hasbro were content with letting the Dinobots falling to the wayside until Matt Tieger pushed for them to be included and everybody loved it.

Then AOE happened, and then if iirc, Hasbro, having seen the success of FOC, wanted the Dinobots in the film, despite Bay never really caring for them either.

Grimlock was always far and away the most popular Dinobot, both because of his cartoon presence with a fantastic performance by Gregg Berger, as well as turning into literally the most well known and popular dinosaur of all time, Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Frankly, what upsets me more is having big G all by himself without the rest of his crew. I don't care for Cyberverse, but they at least got that right.

And also that they keep making the Dinobots restricted to melee weapons only. Then again, this tends to be an issue for beastformers in general.

ES Grim's Deluxe figure does come with a blaster, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing him use it in the show.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    No, Sunbow Prime is more like an awkward, uncool dad. Well-intentioned and morally-grounded, but not playful enough to be goofy. I always thought the cartoon stereotyped his personality so much that he seemed socially inept. I know many (perhaps most) people’s mindview of the character is based on his G1 cartoon depiction, but I don’t find it very interesting.

• Like Like x 2