Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Dec 30, 2019.

1. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's a "everyone" thing, including the good guys when they aren't supposed to get the bad guy right there, right away.

Funny how "everyone" is an expect marksman, shown to practice and never get a single bullet outside the center ring, then on the field, every red shirt (good or bad depending on who's the expert that's shooting) is killed from impossible angles and single shots, but that ONE person that "needs" to die, is able to get away/dodge the bullet.

Then you have the everyone dies instantly BUT that main character that gets to say a final goodbye.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

I prefer personalized transformation sounds for each character like in Beast Wars and the Bayverse over a standardized transformation sound. Would be nice if each character's blaster weapon had their own distinct sound too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream With Headmaster Cobra Commander

I think it's because his blast is more lethal in gun mode (maybe because its more concentrated).

4. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I despise cartoon accuracy. And everybody else's obsession with it really ruins my enjoyment of the franchise. I don't understand why Hasbro can pack Marvel Legends with multiple swappable heads but can't do the same for Transformers. Would it be so hard to pack a figure with it's toy & cartoon accurate heads? They did it for MP Bumblebee so WTF? I didn't watch the toon much when I was a kid so the toon accurate faces look strange to me. If you love toon accuracy thanks for making me suffer!

• Like Like x 3
  5. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There’s only been one good incarnation of Slipstream so far, and unfortunately she’s dead now. She’s only popular because of the novelty of a female seeker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Norn' Ironhide

News Credits:
    The evergreen designs are shite, but the actual execution of the Authentics line is very good. I’ve seen them in cheap shops here in the UK. Places that used to stock shitty non-transforming RID figurines now stock fully transforming, simplified, 6-pound-each figures. I know for a fact that young kids will like them, I remember loving Animated despite never actually watching it, purely because the toys looked cool. Having simple figures for kids is the best thing hasbro has done besides CHUG for the last decade.

• Like Like x 2
  7. D15M45

D15M45 Player Hater

I can't stand some of the g1 character names,; Chromedome, Weirdwolf, Squeezeplay, Birdbrain, Apeface, Windcharger, Sunsteaker, Beachcomber, and Kup

8. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I'm not 100% sure how unpopular these opinions actually are, but here goes. I actually don't hate Energon Snow Cat. I suspect that I'd find him fairly annoying if I ever watched Energon again (I don't really plan to), but I thought he was funny as a seven-year-old and so have a tiny amount of nostalgia for him and his stupid yodeling. I also actually don't hate G1 Wheelie (except in "Surprise Party", which is one of the worst G1 episodes), I just hate his voice.

I think having swappable heads would be a great idea. Some of the old G1 toy heads are actually rather neat, and multiple options are fun to have. It is weird that they've only done it for a few MP figures so far.

I like a lot of Budiansky's stories, and I am utterly amazed that he didn't fold long before he did. He had to introduce like 100 characters over less than sixty issues! That's a lot of work, and the fact that most of the stories are pretty good makes it more impressive. I also have a soft spot for "Buster Witwicky and the Car Wash of Doom".:) 

This looks great! I like the green and purple Constructicons, too, but this is terrific!

Me too. I'll stop posting on this thread for awhile now. :) 

I actually agree with you on AOE. I didn't make it all the way through TLK, but I remember I enjoyed a couple characters. The only thing I really liked in DOTM was Laserbeak. I also like RID 2015, even though I don't like most of the main cast. I DO, however, like Drift, Fracture, Shadow Raker (Drift's old teacher), Grimlock, Steeljaw, Thunderhoof, and all five Stunticons.

Agreed. I don't particularly like RID Strongarm (I find her annoying at times) but I do like how she was one of the largest members of the main cast, and how her face was the main tell that she was female rather than her body.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

I think Generation 2 was good, and just canceled way too prematurely. Maybe they even knew the end was nigh and that's why the art was inconsistent and the story was rushed, but overall I liked a lot of what was laid down in the narrative. I think it also was done a disservice by not having it's own cartoon as opposed to re-airing old episodes with terrible cgi inserts.

I think if they had approached G2 like Beast Wars; done a show with a smaller cast (Optimus, Jazz, Inferno, black Sideswipe, Beachcomber, Bumblebee, Hubcap and Seaspray - maybe bring in Hot Rod, Kup, Prowl or some others in smaller roles) it could've been quite good, especially if they followed the comic story of having them fight the "Cybertronians" and have to team up with Decepticons. Just a lot of potential in that comic and the fiction in general.

Generation 2 as an idea for a show or movie reminds me a lot of Logan where you can simply set the show a few years after Rebirth, and therefore not have to explain why so much has changed.

I also like how Generation 2 incorporated GI Joe more fully as supporting cast, and the go-to humans for the series (as it should be). I think the toyline was hit and miss, but had some excellent gimmicks and figures throughout.

I also don't hate Regeneration One either, but I think it was a bit too long. Like they had a good idea for a grand ending, but still wanted to get to issue 100.

The Generation 1 Marvel Comic was not good (overall) NOT THE UK

The last ten or so issues are quite good in my opinion. The ten before that are hit or miss, with some really great issues. Before...ehhhh...yikes.

Transformers got me into comics, and while you don't have to take my unpopular opinion as worthwhile, I owned about 20,000 comics at one point, and have owned the full Marvel series of Transformers twice. I like the first few issues, but as far as comics go it's not great. If I didn't know Bob Budiansky was the architect of the original US run I'd swear the comic ran through several writers, and that the writers were not communicating. The comic has a huge issue keeping track of which characters are dead or not - Starscream died like how many times?!?! Many characters are just thrust aside for "new toys". Some accuse the show of this - but the show ran a mostly consistent cast for two seasons and only had it's major upheaval in the movie - which was a moment they made a point to punctuate. The comic was straight-up sociopathic. Prowl's dead, now he isn't, now he is, now he isn't. Huh? Skids is still around to fight Unicron...weird. Oh wait, never to be heard from or seen again.

The characterizations were odd as well. Starscream's usurper position went to Shockwave, while Starscream stood in the background for quite some time until around issue 50. Blaster was super depressing. Grimlock was basically evil for a while. Optimus Prime seemed dumb a lot. Hot Rod was there, I guess. Bumblebee didn't do much. Hound and Ironhide were nonexistent.

So many issues are just filler, at least until Furman hoped on. They are also very weird filler. Deathtrap carwash, Optimus dying in a video game, RC cars vs. the Predacons, Seacons attack a sea resort, Fortress Maximus goes skiing, and more! Just kind of ridiculous. Not ridiculous in the same way the cartoon embraced ridiculous ideas, more ridiculous in the "who thought this was a good idea" ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

So I've noticed some hate around for the very idea of the Cityspeakers and I'm not entirely sure why.

So here I am with the seemingly unpopular opinion that I actually like Cityspeakers and how that impacts the lore of Titans.
    Sure, I'd probably do something different with the concept than what's been done with it, but I don't understand the outright hate for it. Fact is I feel like the hatred for Cityspeakers is just projected off of hatred for Windblade (because the concept was introduced through her).

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

-Personally, I've never been a fan of Optimus and Megatron. Even though David Wise, Bob Budiansky and Simon Furman did a good job with them, I just feel these two characters are just one-note and not very engaging (especially nowadays).

-The celebrity voice actors from the 86 Transformers movie never left an impression on me. This especially goes for Judd Nelson. I feel his Hot Rod/Rodimus is incredibly meh, and I always felt Dick Gautier did a much better job in the role. The same goes for Wreck-Gar, Galvatron, Ultra Magnus, Kup and Unicron (I love Orson Welles in other stuff, but as Unicron, he just sounds waaaay too artificial, especially compared to Roger C. Carmel, who delivered a much more natural performance). The season three actors just sounded more natural and got to flesh out the characters more, whereas the celebrities always felt one-note. I personally feel the 1987 G.I. Joe flick did a better job at the celebrity casting.

-I like seasons three and four of G1 more than the first two. I always felt season three was much more intense and felt that the stakes were much higher in there compared to the previous seasons.

-I like Rodimus way more than Optimus. Maybe it's the way he's written in seasons three and four of G1 (except Fight or Flee) or the energetic voice performance from Dick Gautier, but I always liked the character.

12. Longitudinalwave

Although I like the Marvel Comics, I agree that they wasted a lot of character potential. Hound and Ironhide are two good examples of that for sure, and Optimus Prime's intermittent stupidity was never more obvious than when he blew himself up over a video game. I understand what they were aiming for (showing that Prime has high principles) but given the context, it just came across as ridiculous. I also agree that Blaster was very depressing in the comics; I liked him better in the cartoon. In general, I think that the comics did a few characters really well, but because of the nature of the medium, it meant that the rest were woefully underutilized. At least the cartoon gave memorable voices to guys like Brawn, Huffer, Inferno, and Beachcomber. In the comics they were just...there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

Which is weird because my favorite character is Prowl, and the comics did an exceptional job with him. Although, when you look back Prowl had some decent issues when Optimus Prime was headless, then wasn't seen for a long time, and then allegedly died in the Starscream Underbase issue - off-panel - and then gets resurrected at the end. Those issues were my favorite, although I don't precisely remember where I started reading.

Which is an illustration of why the comics were so bland. Just a lot of jumping around, never being fully able to commit to a character. As you say "nature of the medium". In X-Men Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Jean Grey, are the obvious main mains of most X-Men stuff, and then the rest are given their moments in the spotlight. In Transformers the product mandates kept making them jump around to different characters and so no one got much meaningful development - even sometimes Decepticons.

14. Longitudinalwave

Very true. After a certain point, the cast was just way too large to handle; and being forced to change who the important characters were to sell new toys just made things worse.
    I also agree with you that they did Prowl very well (at least until he was sidelined by new toys). This is one case where the comic book unambiguously did a character better than the cartoon, with Skids and Ratbat being two other examples.

Building off of my discussion on the Marvel Comics, here are some more (possibly?) unpopular opinions:
    1) I like cartoon Blaster better than comic book Blaster, because he was both closer to the Blaster of the bio and more fun than Marvel Blaster. I liked Marvel Blaster's friendship with Scrounge, but aside from that he just felt way too much like Transformers Batman, being stoic and dour regardless of the situation. He didn't need to be super upbeat all the time, but it would have been nice to see him smile once or twice.
    2) While Marvel Shockwave is my favorite Shockwave, and the reason that Shockwave is my first or second favorite Decepticon, I don't dislike Cartoon Shockwave and think that he isn't quite as much of a joke as he's made out to be. Sure, he couldn't aim, but no one else could, either, and his voice was pretty great.
    3) I like Cartoon Grimlock and Marvel Grimlock equally. They're both good! (Okay, Season 3 Grimlock is pretty bad, but in the first two seasons, I think Cartoon Grimlock is good.)
    4) I like Cartoon Ravage and Marvel Ravage almost equally as well, although Ravage's role in the UK comics puts the Marvel version slightly ahead of his counterpart.

I guess they didn't leave much of an impression on me, either, because until recently, with the exception of Unicron (I knew that Orson Welles had died shortly after his performance in the movie) and Galvatron (whose Nimoy voice sounded much different than his Welker voice), I actually thought that all the movie characters kept their voice actors for Season 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2020
  15. TheUltimateBum

Yes, the problem I have is that the performances from the celebrity actors just aren't as enjoyable as the ones from the season three actors.

Galvatron for example is a rejuvenated Megatron, and even though Leonard Nimoy did deliver the best performance out of the celebrities, I always felt he sounded way too ancient (as if he would fit better as an ancient Decepticon leader).

Orson Welles' Unicron just sounds way too overprocessed and artificial that it really took me off, whereas Roger C. Carmel has a much more natural sounding voice and performance.

Also, I feel that the 86 movie celebrities just don't get to do a whole lot with the characters because they don't get a lot of characterization there, whereas in season three, all those characters got better characterizations and the performances resonated much, much more (especially Dick's Rodimus and Hot Rod, who I felt should have been in the movie instead of Judd Nelson, because Judd is kinda bland).

16. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I’m always amazed when fans say that they could not tell the difference between the voices of some of the characters in the film and season 3
    show me the differences are easy to spot, but I can’t understand why some of you guys have more of an affinity to the voices actors used in season three over the film itself

How do you guys feel about Eric idle, I honestly feel his voice for the character or Wreck-Gar was is far superior than the voice used in season three​

17. TheUltimateBum

Well, it's all in the performance. For example, Dick Gautier as Rodimus and Hot Rod. Judd Nelson's Hot Rod just felt off whenever he had a more energetic moment, whereas Dick Gautier managed to deliver much more intense and visceral emotions a lot more naturally than Judd ever did (Dick's performance in episodes like Dark Awakening and The Burden Hardest to Bear are proof of that).

Writing also has a lot to do with it. For example, the season three actors got a chance to flesh out their characters, whereas the celebrities just worked with bare-bones characterizations (and in the case of Hot Rod, all of his more interesting developments were left in the script, which is another reason why I find Judd Nelson's performance kind of bland and overrated compared to Dick Gautier, who got mostly great material, aside from Fight or Flee, which I try to pretend that it doesn't exist).

The problem is that Eric didn't get that much to work on and Tony Pope got a whole lot of great material to work with (episodes like The Big Broadcast of 2006 are a great showcase of Tony's talent).

Plus, I never got a sense of a TV-talking weirdo out of Eric's take, whereas with Tony, you get all that. He just quotes lines doing almost spot-on impressions (his Desi Arnaz impression is pretty awesome) and he just adds a great amount of quirkiness to the episodes he is in.

18. Primeultra

With all due respect the writing in the performance has nothing to do with what I’m referring to here (Not that I disagree with your assessment of the work)

I’m talking about the sound of their voices, Over the years I have heard from many fans that just like Longitudinalwave believed that the voice actors for season 3 were the same voice actors used in the movie

And I recognize the differences in the voice is the first time I heard them in five faces of darkness
    Spot on impressions?
    I’ll admit they were fun impressions but I wouldn’t exactly call them spot on...I actually found his Ricky Ricardo to be one of his weaker impressions

I can also agree with you That Eric didn’t get a lot of material to work with, but by the very nature of the dialogue I can’t see how anyone did not get the sense of a TV-talking weirdo

19. TheUltimateBum

Well, there are differences in the voices and deliveries, so the performances do count.

I personally felt that in terms of delivery and attitude, they work perfectly. Voice impressions don't have to be the exact same voice to be spot-on (Bill Martin as the Shredder, for example, his voice was different from that of James Avery, but his acting and delivery were very similar to his predecessor's performance).

I got the feeling of just a posh guy trying to sound weird, but not much in terms of range (he just doesn't have that quirkiness that I like hearing from someone like Wreck-Gar). It's almost the same problem I had with Weird Al Yankovic's take, it just sounds like a normal guy trying to sound wacky (Weird Al can do wackier than that, so I was pretty disappointed with his take), whereas with Wreck-Gar, I feel you should go all out in the performance and have him just change his voice at the drop of a hat because it gives the impression of him communicating through TV broadcasts.

20. Primeultra

Not when it comes to recognizing the sound of their voices

I’m not trying to argue, But the only way the performance would be an issue here is if they were trying to do an impersonation of the film voice actors.....And I’ve never heard or read any indication of that.....Well maybe Tony was, but the other voice actor swaps weren’t trying to sound like Robert Stack or Judd Nelson So performance has absolutely nothing to do with what I am talking about

I can pretty much agree with the rest of what you said, I also felt weird Al’s performance was a bit underwhelming

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020