Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mn_128875, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Traditional Animator/Storyboard Artist

Well if your pre concieved notions about a show is that it will be terrible, then of course youll think itll be bad once it releases.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Actually, I thought Animated and TFPrime were going to be bad but still ended up liking them, being proven wrong so....

3. Chaos Studios

Then how do you know you won't like the new show then? Like don't you hope to be proven wrong?

• Like Like x 8
  4. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus @DiddlyDipstick on Twitter

I don’t really like the idea of the Nick show supposedly being a comedy show if the Botbots one is also supposed to be comedy.

5. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I'll fight anyone who dares to disparage this.

Basketball.gif

• Like Like x 14
  6. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

More of this and less "TELL ME YOU FORGIVE ME!!" please!

• Like Like x 14
  7. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

The other way around for me. I thought they were gonna be great when they were first announced and they ended up being extremely irritating and disappointing for me.

8. Chaos Studios

its perfectly fine to dislike a show, its just so bizzarre when people dont go in with atleast a slight level head that it could be good

• Like Like x 9
  9. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Optimus is either a Center or a Power Forward.

10. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:

JOHN K

11. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s bizarre at all, in fact I think most people go in with their preconceived ideas hoping to be surprised

I was certain I wouldn’t like TFA right up to the opening theme of the first episode and was shocked when I did

• Like Like x 7
  12. Suboptimal Optimus

People don't give Animated a chance, due to its first season being a bit...weird. That and too many people dislike it purely on the art style alone or for its human villains which, admittedly, weren't really great. That said the writers phased out most of them later on.

• Like Like x 3
  13. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

That was actually what hyped me up. I liked the art style and honestly, I liked the human villains better than the Decepticons, but the show itself... it was just frustrating. In fact, after I watched both TFA and TFP and ended up being disappointed by both, I always go to stuff with a rather cynical, pessimistic outlook nowadays (which is why I ended up enjoying Rescue Bots, RiD15 and Cyberverse, because my expectations were already down the drain and they just surprised me, because they were just fun watches, flawed, but not as irritating as TFA and TFP were for me).

14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    Just correcting some misinformation I spotted while browsing: The term 'Cal Arts' has more or less become a term referring to the lack of diversity in regards to western animation these days, and how often the people who are hired to work on these shows all came from the same school of animation, which from what I've gathered doesn't seem to be that great at cultivating different / diverse art styles, in fact I believe there's a solid argument to be made that CalArts the school does more damage to up and coming artists than anything else.

Yes, apparently John Kricfalusi allegedly had a hand in popularizing the term, and also yes he's been accused of some rather heinous things. Let's be clear on something, accused doesn't mean convicted. Congratulations, you watched a Rebeltaxi video and now you think you're an expert on this topic, but here's a word of advice: someone can do terrible things and still be right about something if they're right about it. I'm not gonna talk about whether I think he's guilty or not because that's not relevant to this discussion, the point is that just because he's been accused of things doesn't automatically make any of his observations or contributions to animation suddenly null and void.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Suboptimal Optimus

Beside, here is the ultimate unpopular opinion I will restate: we know the pattern by now. Transformers will get a new show, it will be controversial and full of shit and/or very poorly written and, Primus help us all if they want to make it a direct sequel to Sunbow G1. People in the media will immediately defend it and all the oldschool fans who don't fall in line will be called you-know-what for not liking the show. If not the upcoming show then the one after or maybe even the Bumblebee sequel! Its the same fucking pattern, every single time a new incarnation of an '80 property is done in the late 2010/the 2020. They're going to do some dumb shit, they're going to make an awful show and the fandom will split itself. The creators of said show will post on Twitter and other social media how they are the 'victims' of the evil, 'bigoted old guard'. They will actively attack the fandom with unfounded accusations and any attempt to defend ourselves will only vindicate the people working on these shows. Multiple major TF-related figures such as once beloved voice actors will likely chip in to side with the people working on the show and attack the dissenting parts of the fanbase to get relevance again and social media creds, throwing the fandom under the fucking bus in the process. Anyone who was a long term fan but dislike the new incarnation will be essentially branded a heretic as people pat themselves on the back, saying how great it is now and how transformers is so much better now that it can be 'enjoyed by everyone' now that us evil toxic fans are gone, never mind how this narrative is completely fabricated and the only exclusion within the fandom, previously, was much more along the lines of people shitting on the fans of different shows/eras. Eventually all dissent about the show will be squashed.

It will happen because its the inevitable fate of all '80 and '90 nostalgia brand shows. Its the end state of these brands. People will claim it as a 'victory' and how much they improved Transformers now that its not filled with evil, yucky older fans. Never mind that, outside of arguing about IDW and the writing/politics, there is no general animosity and generally no dreaded 'gatekeeping', a term which has been modified to basically mean a different thing. The ultimate irony the crater left behind will be applauded as a better, improved fandom when in reality it will be a homogenized wreck of hysterical fanboys and shippers. We've seen what happen to fanbases that degenerate into the whims of an angry shipping mo. I get it, we're a shitty fandom and have always been! "Trukk not munkkey" and "RUINED FOREVER!1!" are self parodying memes for a reason but there could be worse revisionist accusations thrown at us.

Transformers will have its Teen Titan Go, its Thundercats Roar, its Netflix She-Ra, its Last Jedi or Star Trek Picard. It is simply an inevitability of mainstream brands to produce a new incarnation that will initiate the fandom self destruction. I know this post will get flak and I'm sure the very people who will hate on this post will be those brandishing the battle flag to purify the fandom when the show come out. Modern 'creators' not only cannot take any criticism, they will pre-emptively poison the well by accusing people of hating their show for completely unrelated reasons. You can call me a 'doomer', hell you can call me things even worse than that, as I know what some of my detractors will say given my past opinions but I know what is coming.

This is my prediction, my portent of doom. Now then! Care to see if I'm right in a few months/years, assuming the post doesn't get deleted admins?

• Like Like x 4
  16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    First off, :throw  I'm supposed to be the one offering up the most spicy unpopular hot takes.

And two, as much as I try to avoid the topic on this site you're probably exactly on the money because this is a thing we've seen play out again and again ad nauseum and I see no reason why it won't repeat here. Honestly I think if it ever gets to that point (if it hasn't already) I'll probably just return to lurking on this site because I've grown pretty tired of that sort of shit in my other hobbies.

The Transformers fandom evidently has issues and its own fair share of (synonym for toxic) people but if that number starts to play around here I think I'll just peace out. :lolol  Maybe.

17. Suboptimal Optimus

I thought the Netflix show would be that moment but I guess its so boring people outside the fandom ignored it.

18. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:

Agreed.

19. Suboptimal Optimus

By the way, I don't mean a show simply coming out and part of the fandom love it and part it. That's par for the course and the NORM for Transformers, we've been there since The Movie came out ffs! No what I mean is when the drama spills out of the message board and personal opinion, when it initiate this insane purity spiral of self destruction. Anyone who is honest know what I mean. When it happen, it will spill beyond just the crowd that likes it and the crowd that hates it. Once that sundering happen we will never return to the state we are currently in, which is saying something given we are already one of the whackiest and least likeable fandom around.

20. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Classic Peter Cullen>Gary Chalk>David Kaye>Neil Kaplan>Modern Cullen>Jake Tillman>Jon Bailey.

• Like Like x 1