Unpopular transformers opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Smokeyoreo18, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Lola

Lola Soap

TFP Starscream

• Like Like x 3
  2. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus There Is Such A Thing As Truth

I know I've brought it before in previous post, but I'm not a fan of alt mode essentialism. However I understand that there need to be some amount of story logic on why not everyone can be a plane or even a titan-sized ship or city. I also quite like it when characters have the ability to rescan a mode that share the same general mass, shape and function or are simply cosmetically changing from one car year to another, akin to what movie Bumblebee does. That seems like something logical for incarnations of Transformers where scanning is built-in.

It would also fit the more vain characters to constantly be scanning the latest concept cars.

3. Lola

Lola Soap

Hasbro has tried to do original things up to 2020, most people just weren't interested in RID 2015 and Cyberverse wich created the illusion that all mainstream TF media was G1 even thou up to the Netflix show the only G1 thing most casual fans were exposed to, were Bumblebee 2017 and The Prime Wars trilogy, both of wich really weren't as unoriginal as they seem. Most of the G1 pandering came in form of merchandise and comics wich has only recently (depends on what you call recently) take over cartoons. Now that we don't have anything non G1 except for these gimmicky shelf warmer Cyberverse figures, The G1 is consuming us and listening to Hasbro's plans makes us look towards a dark future.

The Netflix show actually could be good if it had competent writers. But it's Roosterteeth so.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roosterteeth's only producing it.

The creative team were all brought over from the Prime Wars Trilogy.

Which explains a lot.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Suboptimal Optimus

Sad thing is, had we gotten a more 'proper' adaptation of the Prime Wars trilogy? It could have ended radically different from the G1 roots because these toyline focused on some very 'super robot'-ish elements as well as characters which didn't get much screentime outside of Japan. Imagine a Titans Return cartoon where the main Headmasters and maybe the triple changer Voyager headmasters are in the main cast! You'd have Mindwipe, Chromedome, Octane and more being the main cast of a show. Possibly even Sentinel Prime, Overlord, Six Shot and Black Shadow. Hell maybe even the American debut of Liokaiser if you extended it to the exclusives. You would have seen the new Dinobot Combiner, Volcanicus, fight against the Terrorcons as Abominus during Power of the Primes. Maybe backed up by the monsterbots and Optimus Primal of all characters! We only briefly got a taste of this with the Machinima shows and it wasn't done well.

Prime War toyline could have offered us some pretty crazy cast for a TV show but it was never meant to happen, sadly.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lola

Lola Soap

Well, at least we know that the budget excuse doesn't work anymore.

7. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prime Wars also tried this weird thing where they tried to mesh IDW and Sunbow G1 together for their worlds backstory.

Didn't really work out that well.

8. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Hell yes. Bluestreak is such an underutilized character, with a backstory that could fill an entire series. Instead, he's been completely wasted as the guy that talks too much.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    When you take the time to read all the tech specs, you realize there's a lot of great characters here but most of the time they're poorly utilized.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Yeah, I suppose with that many characters and relatively few episodes, Sunbow typically just ran with one or two details from each. There are lots of unmined gems in Budiansky's profiles. Hound's secret desire to be human is another one that could make for good fiction.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Suboptimal Optimus

Hell yes, Budiansky profiles are amazing. And underused.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chaos Studios

Chaos Studios Well-Known Member

RID 2015 was just blatantly flawed with a garbage airtime that almost felt like it was getting sabotaged.

Cyberverse also had a terrible airtime

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  13. Lola

Lola Soap

Not saying they were good, just saying they were different.

But yeah it feels like Hasbro wants to put less effort into their projects. Simplified figures, not sufficient marketing, etc.
    kids eat up everything and adults are suckers for nostalgia.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Suboptimal Optimus

That's the problem, however. Its not so much a question of different/slavish its just the general problem of not having a good Transformers show. And unpopular opinion time? In this day and age, the odds of us having a good show again is simply impossible for a variety of disparate factors.

15. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Wishing for a reboot

I think he meant their broadcast times were terrible. It was something like 6 a.m. that made it really hard for anyone to watch the shows in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chaos Studios

Yeah thats what I meant, in NA they air it at like 6am which was ridiculous

17. Suboptimal Optimus

Like I said, at some point we're going to have to accept the second (third?) golden age of Transformers is over and this is just a dead, tired zombie of a brand with its better days behind it. Its been increasingly shit since the 2010 onward and once TF Prime (for all its flaws) was gone and done that was it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Chaos Studios

I don't think id go doomer yet, with the new tf show coming to nick produced by the same guy behind rot tmnt, i think there is still hope for an original breath of fresh air along with rise of the beasts

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chaos Studios

But I will say the 2010s was one of the best times for the brand with prime, both of the cybertron games, the movies being highly profitable, there was alot of good shit there

20. Suboptimal Optimus

Yeah no, I don't want that kind of crap. We're going to be getting either/and a dumb Calarts style show or some ill fated attempt at humour with a 'whaaaacky!!' attempt a comedy. That's the best case scenario, stating the worst case one would get a chunk of the message board to jump down my throat again. They simply don't and won't make good cartoon anymore because the industry has become a circlejerk of nepotist hack who spend too much time on twitter.

• Like Like x 1